Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Strange Request (roof issue)

bte123

Post by bte123 » Mon May 17, 2021 7:17 pm

So this might be a forum first...

I'm basically wondering if anyone who is well versed in roof problems would be willing to donate a little of their time over the phone. I'm not looking to have you fix and diagnose all my problems nor am I a weirdo looking for new friends (promise). I just need someone to explain the problem and my understanding of it to, in order to get some advice for a next move.

I just know how hard it is to describe accurately when written down, and for me to be able to ask the right questions without literally writing out an essay or two.

Long shot I know but if anyone is willing I'd be really appreciative and would look to compensate you in some sort of meaningful way for you time, financial or other.

Smartbear
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Smartbear » Mon May 17, 2021 7:22 pm

bte123 wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 7:17 pm So this might be a forum first...

I'm basically wondering if anyone who is well versed in roof problems would be willing to donate a little of their time over the phone. I'm not looking to have you fix and diagnose all my problems nor am I a weirdo looking for new friends (promise). I just need someone to explain the problem and my understanding of it to, in order to get some advice for a next move.

I just know how hard it is to describe accurately when written down, and for me to be able to ask the right questions without literally writing out an essay or two.

Long shot I know but if anyone is willing I'd be really appreciative and would look to compensate you in some sort of meaningful way for you time, financial or other.

You’d be much better off describing the issue in a post, you’ll get more members responding.
Rob

e89 Sdrive 20i, plenty of mumbo & good economy-the thinking bears z4
e89 Sdrive 30i, this ones busted, pass me another...
e85 3.0si sold

bte123

Post by bte123 » Mon May 17, 2021 7:59 pm

I thought as much Rob but I thought it worth asking.

Pondrew
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Pondrew » Mon May 17, 2021 8:20 pm

bte123 wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 7:17 pm So this might be a forum first...

I think that is an excellent idea. The problem with many responses on here is you will get people trying to help who will interpret your problem in different ways and it will inevitably go off in a different direction (downside of a busy forum IMO). One problem I can see is that "Z4 Robbi" might be your man but I don't think he speaks any English. So You may need a German translator to hand!
PS I am not volunteering as I know nothing about electric roofs. I do need friends, though! :)
All good things come to those who wait. I'm really impatient which explains a lot.

F31 320i. Good car.
E89 20i Now fully dried
Z3 'free litre'. Project and a half. Complicated!
Mazda3 sold
Tatty old R56 Mini Cooper. Money pit!

RobbiZ4

Post by RobbiZ4 » Mon May 17, 2021 11:32 pm

Pondrew wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 8:20 pm ...but I don't think he speaks any English.
Interesting thesis. :rofl:
Is my written English that bad? :?

PS:
A short description of what works well and what doesn't in most cases already leads into the correct direction. Keep it short and get to the point, nobody needs an essay.
Last edited by RobbiZ4 on Mon May 17, 2021 11:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pardon, je suis Allemand :oops:
:ant:
E89 Roof Maintenance
viewtopic.php?t=130932

Y3 Roof Diagnostic System
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=129048

Pondrew
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Pondrew » Mon May 17, 2021 11:54 pm

RobbiZ4 wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 11:32 pm
Pondrew wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 8:20 pm ...but I don't think he speaks any English.
Sorry Robbi I thought I read somewhere you used an online translator. Your English is much better than my German! :thumbsup:
Last edited by Pondrew on Tue May 18, 2021 12:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
All good things come to those who wait. I'm really impatient which explains a lot.

F31 320i. Good car.
E89 20i Now fully dried
Mazda3 sold

RobbiZ4

Post by RobbiZ4 » Mon May 17, 2021 11:56 pm

Pondrew wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 11:54 pm
Sorry Robbi I thought I read somewhere you used an online translator. Your English is better than my German! :thumbsup:
Just the opposite: I always refer to Google translate to force you guys to have a look at the German ZRoadster forum. :rofl:
E89 Roof Maintenance
viewtopic.php?t=130932

Pbondar

Post by Pbondar » Tue May 18, 2021 8:59 am

RobbiZ4 wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 11:56 pm
Sorry Robbi I thought I read somewhere you used an online translator. Your English is better than my German! :thumbsup:
Just the opposite: I always refer to Google translate to force you guys to have a look at the German ZRoadster forum. :rofl:
Pondrew is our cultural attaché, guaranteed to antagonise someone somewhere :thumbsup: :rofl: :tumbleweed:

Argyll Andy
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Argyll Andy » Tue May 18, 2021 9:01 am

Pbondar wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 8:59 am
RobbiZ4 wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 11:56 pm
Pondrew is our cultural attaché, guaranteed to antagonise someone somewhere :thumbsup: :rofl: :tumbleweed:
And that’s just in his own house :rofl: :rofl:

G29 M40i Thundernight with Ivory interior, all option packs (here for a while, hopefully :oops:)
    G29 M40i Misano Blue all option packs (Gone 26k of fun)
    E89 35iS, Valencia Orange, Design Pure Traction pack (Gone)
    E89 23i sDrive, Silver (Gone)

Pondrew
    Lifer
    Lifer

Post by Pondrew » Tue May 18, 2021 2:16 pm

Pbondar wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 8:59 am Pondrew is our cultural attaché, guaranteed to antagonise someone somewhere :thumbsup: :rofl: :tumbleweed:
    What can I say; it's a gift :lol:
    I'd like to be known as Les Patterson from now on :thumbsup:

F31 320i. Good car.
    E89 20i Now fully dried
    Mazda3 sold

Pondrew
    Lifer
    Lifer

Post by Pondrew » Tue May 18, 2021 2:25 pm

Argyll Andy wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 9:01 am guaranteed to antagonise someone somewhere :thumbsup: :rofl: :tumbleweed:

And that’s just in his own house :rofl: :rofl:
    You've been talking to my wife, haven't you? :( :thumbsup:

F31 320i. Good car.
    E89 20i Now fully dried
    Mazda3 sold

RobbiZ4

Post by RobbiZ4 » Tue May 18, 2021 2:35 pm

Back to topic, if @bte123 is willing:
    bte123 wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 7:17 pm I just know how hard it is to describe accurately when written down, ...
    Looking at your former posts, I found the following description of another(?) critical issue:
    viewtopic.php?p=1777785#p1777785
    bte123 wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 10:13 am [...]Problems as they existed this morning....
    2) Boot lid doesn't open fully / quickly enough and mechanical arms of roof get caught when trying to lower into the boot - horrible crunching sound as they crack against the black plastic flaps of the boot lid.
    [...]
    As there was no update since autumn 2020, what's the current status? Is this issue still present?

At least, it's up to you to provide valuable information.
    Last edited by RobbiZ4 on Sat Feb 12, 2022 11:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
    E89 Roof Maintenance
    viewtopic.php?t=130932

Pbondar

Post by Pbondar » Tue May 18, 2021 4:39 pm

Pondrew wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 2:16 pm
    Pbondar wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 8:59 am Pondrew is our cultural attaché, guaranteed to antagonise someone somewhere :thumbsup: :rofl: :tumbleweed:
    What can I say; it's a gift :lol:
    I'd like to be known as Les Patterson from now on :thumbsup:
    Well to know oneself is the first step to enlightenment :thumbsup:

Like the avatar ..

bte123

Post by bte123 » Tue May 18, 2021 5:42 pm

RobbiZ4 wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 2:35 pm Back to topic, if the bte123 is willing:
    bte123 wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 7:17 pm I just know how hard it is to describe accurately when written down, ...
    Looking at your former posts, I found the following description of another(?) critical issue:
    viewtopic.php?p=1777785#p1777785
    bte123 wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 10:13 am [...]Problems as they existed this morning....
    2) Boot lid doesn't open fully / quickly enough and mechanical arms of roof get caught when trying to lower into the boot - horrible crunching sound as they crack against the black plastic flaps of the boot lid.
    [...]
    As there was no update since autumn 2020, what's the current status? Is this issue still present?

At least, it's up to you to provide valuable information.
    Absolutely, and I've just had a good giggle reading through the replies here. Here goes, keeping it brief where possible.

Opening:

Press to open roof - immediate BONG and red window warning on dash.
    Windows go down, cowl comes up onto roof, roof begins to open and boot opens a fraction.
    If continuing to open the roof will crush into partly open boot lid.

I can manage to wiggle the roof between open and close which seems to gradually increase the opening on the boot lid as it moves slower than the roof itself, and eventually the roof will stow in the boot. Press and hold button to close lid.

Closing:

Press to close roof
    Boot opens (slowly) and roof and cowl just make it out and push the boot slightly to get out completely.
    Roof lands and stops 3-6 inches from attaching to the windscreen, stops short of attaching. finger off and on again the close button sorts this, cowl then places itself correctly and the windows go up.

As recently as two weeks ago however i could only get so far as cowl up and windows down, roof wouldn't unlatch at all and the boot lid wouldn't open either. Now it seems relatively consistent that I can get it to open, be forced to stop due to boot not opening enough and then i can fiddle it to finish.

Reason for the tricky explanation (because i know that sounds simple ish) is the variance in errors found on the foxwell reader and the different levels of movement I have gotten over a few months period. currently only being given the typical A696 - Hall sensor, open circuit, closing movement, rear-end module warning.

Work done so far:
    salmon relays replaced after water ingress found in pump / motor / battery area.
    motor removed, cleaned and dried and replaced.#

I'm all over the shop - despite looking at nearly every single previous roof issue post i am unable to locate all the hall sensors, and the attempts to replace them seem beyond my knowledge and comfort level when it comes to solving something complex and intricate. after all I'm not even sure which one is broken.

I would happily drive to an experienced forum members location of choice with a wadd of cash and the 1 series sensors ready!

Basically the whole thing is nye-on impossible to explain to a local indie and even if i have the time to do so they don't want to know / aren't skilled enough. The dealers would probably plug in a diagnostic and thentell me its a hall sensor but I know it might be more than that and without being able to show the guys in the workshop I don't even think they'd fully get the issue? Anyone had an experience with a dealer which would make me think differently?

I plugged the Foxwell in half way through the cycle yesterday (cowl down, roof open, boot lid open fully) and got two additional error messages but I'm not sure if these are genuine errors or are generated because I plugged in halfway through on purpose: anyone know if when you plug it in half way through you'd get errors to tell you as much? these were in addition to the below A696:
    A689 - hall sensor roof pack erected
    A693 - microswitch roof pack stowed

Unfortunately (for the car at least) I'm based in South Wales so getting to RBM or Cayman is a bit difficult to organize due to likelihood of them needing the car for a length of time to diagnose and then fix the issue.

Sorry if this is a little unorganized, I can supply pictures, foxwell readings or answer any questions anyone may have on request. Thanks in advance.

RobbiZ4

Post by RobbiZ4 » Tue May 18, 2021 7:07 pm

bte123 wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 5:42 pm Absolutely, and I've just had a good giggle reading through the replies here. Here goes, keeping it brief where possible.

Opening:

Press to open roof - immediate BONG and red window warning on dash.
    Windows go down, cowl comes up onto roof, roof begins to open and boot opens a fraction.
    If continuing to open the roof will crush into partly open boot lid.
    Fine! Here we go: :D
    This issue is based on a defective hallsensor (HS) on the right coupling lock.
    20200624_174431_Crash!!!_small.jpg
    20200624_174431_Crash!!!_small.jpg (116.84 KiB) Viewed 725 times

I'll continue with a personal message to you...

Regards
    Robert
    Last edited by RobbiZ4 on Wed May 19, 2021 6:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
    E89 Roof Maintenance
    viewtopic.php?t=130932