Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Ongoing rear microswitches fun and games 😂

304frp

Post by 304frp » Tue May 11, 2021 8:21 pm

Hi all,
I spoke briefly a few weeks ago about the 2 rear microswitches that sit under the rear boot hinges .
I would like to ask some further questions if I may !
I now have the new switches, as the coupler has now changed , is it crucial when swapping the old one onto the new to get the pins in correct position , I ask as my new wires are both black as opposed to the ones on the existing one being coloured . Or is it easier to get the conversion kit from bmw . Any help would be most welcome.

Kind regards
Andy
:!: :driving: :!:
F31 330d Daily
E89 35i weekend
Evoque gone
Aston vantage v8, missed
Porsche Boxster s,gone

Pbondar

Post by Pbondar » Tue May 11, 2021 8:35 pm

304frp wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 8:21 pm Hi all,
I spoke briefly a few weeks ago about the 2 rear microswitches that sit under the rear boot hinges .
I would like to ask some further questions if I may !
I now have the new switches, as the coupler has now changed , is it crucial when swapping the old one onto the new to get the pins in correct position , I ask as my new wires are both black as opposed to the ones on the existing one being coloured . Or is it easier to get the conversion kit from bmw . Any help would be most welcome.

Kind regards
Andy
AFAIK they are simple single pole break switches so either way around is fine..the BMW adapters according to RobbiZ4 (guru on roofs) deems them a waste of time/money!

304frp

Post by 304frp » Tue May 11, 2021 8:40 pm

Hi ,
Was hoping that was the answer, as previously posted by another chap , bloody roof now works ok since it’s warmed up !! I’m still going to change them now .

Andy
F31 330d Daily
E89 35i weekend
Evoque gone
Aston vantage v8, missed
Porsche Boxster s,gone

Pbondar

Post by Pbondar » Tue May 11, 2021 8:44 pm

304frp wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 8:40 pm Hi ,
Was hoping that was the answer, as previously posted by another chap , bloody roof now works ok since it’s warmed up !! I’m still going to change them now .

Andy
I'm havin the same issue..its suggested that being damp n cold and not being used for a while results in internal corrosion of the microswitch, wamer days and use 'swipes' the corroded parts ..things then work for a while, had a single red bong today..switches still on my desk.. :tumbleweed:

RobbiZ4

Post by RobbiZ4 » Tue May 11, 2021 8:57 pm

Pbondar wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 8:35 pm AFAIK they are simple single pole break switches so either way around is fine..
That is absolutely correct.

I always cut the housings of the new microswitches and carefully unpin both pins. As next, I push off the green seals and re-crimp the pins. Then both pins will fit into the old housings (black and white). As said, you don't have to care about the orientation of the wires, as it's only a simple single pole switch.

These microswitches suffer on corrosion inside of the switches. That mostly leads to a temporary malfunction, not to a complete loss of their general function.

My recommendation is, acoording to the 2 salmon relays on the hydraulic pump, replace both microswitches coupling lock after 10 years.
Pardon, je suis Allemand :oops:
:ant:
E89 Roof Maintenance
viewtopic.php?t=130932

Y3 Roof Diagnostic System
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=129048

304frp

Post by 304frp » Tue May 11, 2021 9:57 pm

Hi ,
Fantastic info , thankyou , I don’t suppose you know part numbers for the relays 🙏, also can I just swap the relays to new ones without any electrical/codeing issues !
Regards
Andy
F31 330d Daily
E89 35i weekend
Evoque gone
Aston vantage v8, missed
Porsche Boxster s,gone

Pbondar

Post by Pbondar » Tue May 11, 2021 10:16 pm

304frp wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 9:57 pm Hi ,
Fantastic info , thankyou , I don’t suppose you know part numbers for the relays 🙏, also can I just swap the relays to new ones without any electrical/codeing issues !
Regards
Andy
Relay changer salmon red

Supersedes:

RobbiZ4

Post by RobbiZ4 » Tue May 11, 2021 10:58 pm

304frp wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 9:57 pm Hi ,
... also can I just swap the relays to new ones without any electrical/codeing issues !
Hi Andy,
relay change is an easy one.
Just have a look at the pictures of my German description or use translate.googl.com:
https://www.zroadster.com/forum/threads ... st-3124720

Push the small button of the black relay carrier, then pull the complete unit to the right. Don't use any tool!!! You could kill the red fuse box when using a screwdriver to unmount the relays.
You don't have to care about any order, both relays are of the same type, no coding or sth. else is required.
Pardon, je suis Allemand :oops:
:ant:
E89 Roof Maintenance
viewtopic.php?t=130932

Y3 Roof Diagnostic System
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=129048

304frp

Post by 304frp » Tue May 11, 2021 11:21 pm

Hi ,
Thankyou ,
I will order them and replace them.
Again ,thankyou ,for you amazing knowledge , it’s much appreciated to you both 👍🏻

Kind regards
Andy.
F31 330d Daily
E89 35i weekend
Evoque gone
Aston vantage v8, missed
Porsche Boxster s,gone