Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Suspect Oil Temperature Gauge Not Showing Correct Temp

kmorgan

Post by kmorgan » Sat May 08, 2021 11:36 am

Hello All

Since putting the Z4 back on the road after a year in lockdown I've noticed the oil temp gauge struggles to reach what I'd expect to be normal - 90c after a typical drive of 15 miles.

Now, this could be me being unfamiliar after not driving the Z4 for a while, however, after over a dozen drives I'm beginning to think there's a problem here. Especially yesterday I noticed the gauge behaving oddly. After returning from two short 3 mile drives the gauge was reading 80c, the engine was then switched off, turning the ignition back on the gauge moved from its resting point (70c) to past 90c then back down to 80c.

I recorded the behaviour here: https://photos.app.goo.gl/eHLXqJLCoSAtQFNm6

Any ideas or am I being paranoid!

Thanks
Z4 sDrive23i Roadster E89 2009

maxman

Post by maxman » Sat May 08, 2021 4:56 pm

Mine at the moment takes about 5 miles before it starts to move off the bottom due to the low ambient temperature.

Pbondar

Post by Pbondar » Sat May 08, 2021 5:36 pm

I’m not an expert on that engine but 15 miles is not much distance to warm up the oil fully...best drive it for at least 30 minutes and then see what happens.. :thumbsup:

AFAIK there is not much you can do on that engine to upset / interfere with oil cooling.. :tumbleweed:

flybobbie
Lifer
Lifer

Post by flybobbie » Sat May 08, 2021 6:28 pm

7 mile 20min. drive to work at the moment temp. reaches about 90 if i'm lucky. Reason why at least once a week needs a good run to get temp. up.

kmorgan

Post by kmorgan » Tue May 11, 2021 8:22 pm

Hi All,

Thanks for the replies.

Sunday was much warmer weather around 21c.
After around 7 miles the temp gauge was at 80c, by 12 miles the gauge was at 100c.

Sorry the Z4 doesn't seem to have a problem at all, it was myself being unfamiliar with the behaviour for in colder weather.

Again, thanks for the replies.
Z4 sDrive23i Roadster E89 2009