Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Dead Engine, advice needed.

pricega

Post by pricega » Thu Apr 29, 2021 12:48 pm

Hi all. I've got a 2012 e89 with 112000 miles. The oil pump went whilst doing 70mph and now it is beyond repair - big end damage and cam bearings melted.
My garage bill so far is £460 but they say they can get a 39000mile reconditioned engine with 6 months warranty. The total cost would be £6600 All in.
I'd planned on keeping the car for another 2+ years.
What would you do?
Thanks.

griffnut

Post by griffnut » Thu Apr 29, 2021 1:09 pm

It does not matter what you do, since you are now in a no win situation. You might want consider trading it in as a non-runner.

The 39,000 mile engine has zero service history - oil and filter changes who knows? Perhaps it might be worth getting a price on a replacement short engine fitted.

It's going to be costly no matter how you look at it.

mr.tourette
Lifer
Lifer

Post by mr.tourette » Thu Apr 29, 2021 1:38 pm

ugh..talk about worst nightmare scenario, I'd be devastated, I would also however look to break the car myself to try and recoup something from the loss..I guess it depends if you're willing to throw 7k at a dead car ..feel for you buddy :(
if its got tits or tyres..its trouble :D

Ed Doe

Post by Ed Doe » Thu Apr 29, 2021 2:31 pm

Seems like a fair chunk of money for a replacement engine supplied and fitted with no history....

Put into perspective you can get a complete S54 engine for sub £4k...

I'd try shopping around and getting a few quotes from decent indies for fitting a replacement engine before making a final decision.
Carbon Black '07 M Coupe: Intrax 1k2 Coilovers, AP-Racing, Raybestos ST45s, Tillets, Schroth, Vibratechnic, Apex EC7, Strongstrut, Eventuri, H&S, RTD, 4.1FD :evil:
Silver Grey '06 3.0si Coupe - SOLD :(

buzyg
Legend
Legend

Post by buzyg » Thu Apr 29, 2021 2:49 pm

Nightmare situation. All I can say is what I did in pretty much the exact same situation.

My FIAT Coupe 20vT, oil pump failed and lunched the engine after 144000 miles. I took it to my regular mechanic. You used to get one of those with every FIAT Coupe. He investigated, took the engine apart and told me it needed a replacement engine.

Last time I saw the car. the engine was in the boot. I handed over the V5, in payment for the work done to that point and we parted as friends. Him saying it was not worth fixing financially, even for him. But would make a good project, for his apprentices to work on, over time.

Some years later my wife told me she had seen the car again on the road. She hadn't told me at the time she saw it, in case I tried to buy it back. Love can be an expensive mistress. :wub:

I guess the big difference is what your car will be worth once the work is complete. In the case of a FIAT Coupe at that time. Even the very good ones sold for <3k

Ole gits rule
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Ole gits rule » Thu Apr 29, 2021 4:01 pm

Nightmare scenario, I would be calling a few breakers and see what they will give you for the car.

My boy got £6k for a totalled 4 series so you may get a chunk back as the gearbox / lights / panels / interior / roof / engine ancillary items are all saleable so should be worth a fair bit.
M4 Vert in Yas Marina Blue
2011 23i M Sport Highline in Alpine White with Smart Top installed - Gone but not forgotten.

R.E92

Post by R.E92 » Thu Apr 29, 2021 5:40 pm

pricega wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 12:48 pm Hi all. I've got a 2012 e89 with 112000 miles. The oil pump went whilst doing 70mph and now it is beyond repair - big end damage and cam bearings melted.
My garage bill so far is £460 but they say they can get a 39000mile reconditioned engine with 6 months warranty. The total cost would be £6600 All in.
I'd planned on keeping the car for another 2+ years.
What would you do?
Thanks.
What engine does the car have?

£6600 seems high for a straight swap. I would think about 20 hours labour for the engine swap which is £1600 at £80/hr.

The N54 can be picked up for about £2000. Not sure about the smaller ones but they should be less.