Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Rattle from rear deck with roof up...any ideas..

Pbondar

Post by Pbondar » Mon May 10, 2021 11:40 am

Just close out on this..(always irritating when someone has an isssue and never reports back)

So I got back home..pulled out the slighly mangled clips and straightend them and put them back..used some of the high density foam strips with a sticky backing and attached that to the cover plate.

The plate that held the clips I noticed had some holes which were not used for any purpose but lined up with some holes in the main body shell.

So I stuck a couple of BMW plastic trim plugs in those. They pulled the mounting plate more into line with the body.

Finally I used a dap of silicone sealant on each metal clip as they can rattle within their mounts.

Push clicked it all back together..let the silicone set..

After a 700 mile weekend trip to the Mull of Kintyre can confidently say that its fixed almost all at least of my 'roof rattles'..

While I was there I have a rattle from around the light switch area..so stuffed some of that high density foam folded over between the A pillar and the dash which substantially reduced that..just left with what sounds like a slighty loose door pull wire to attack some time!

The much reduced rattles and the removal of the artifical exhaust noise generator (ASD) meant with the roof up you get a subdued but pleasant Mad Max style turbo spool whine mated to a pleasant noise from the 200 cell CAT!
Attachments
2021-04-28 10.09.24.jpg
2021-04-28 10.09.24.jpg (238.71 KiB) Viewed 477 times

Edbimmerman

Post by Edbimmerman » Wed Jan 03, 2024 6:39 pm

I had the same problem and it really got on my nerves ! Today I had a eureka moment and removed the retention net behind the seats and Hay Presto ,the rattle disappeared. It turned out that the metal frame was rattling where it connected to the rear plastic panel. I adjusted the metal prongs and made sure that they connected as they should ( with minimal play) .
I hope this solution is effective for you and any future forum users.
Ed e89 2009

B21
Lifer
Lifer
Location: In my Banana Yellow Space Shuttle...somewhere over Southern Caledonia

Post by B21 » Wed Jan 03, 2024 6:48 pm

Edbimmerman wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2024 6:39 pm I had the same problem and it really got on my nerves ! Today I had a eureka moment and removed the retention net behind the seats and Hay Presto ,the rattle disappeared. It turned out that the metal frame was rattling where it connected to the rear plastic panel. I adjusted the metal prongs and made sure that they connected as they should ( with minimal play) .
I hope this solution is effective for you and any future forum users.
Ed e89 2009
Good to know...and welcome!
We choose to go to on with this endeavour at this time and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard…
A very modified Atacama Yellow 35is :thumbsup:

Edbimmerman

Post by Edbimmerman » Tue Apr 02, 2024 10:46 am

After suffering a very annoying rattle from somewhere behind the seats for many months, I think I have finally sorted the problem. Whilst checking in the boot what it might be for the hundredth time, I noticed that the foam cradle holding the roof motor was soaking. After lifting out the motor And drying the cradle inexplicably all horrible noises were no more. I was amazed but incredibly happy. I would advise anyone with a rattle to see if there has been water ingress in this area. I believe that the sound deadening qualities of foam rubber are compromised when the foam is wet.

B21
Lifer
Lifer
Location: In my Banana Yellow Space Shuttle...somewhere over Southern Caledonia

Post by B21 » Tue Apr 02, 2024 4:32 pm

Edbimmerman wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 10:46 am After suffering a very annoying rattle from somewhere behind the seats for many months, I think I have finally sorted the problem. Whilst checking in the boot what it might be for the hundredth time, I noticed that the foam cradle holding the roof motor was soaking. After lifting out the motor And drying the cradle inexplicably all horrible noises were no more. I was amazed but incredibly happy. I would advise anyone with a rattle to see if there has been water ingress in this area. I believe that the sound deadening qualities of foam rubber are compromised when the foam is wet.
Interesting..
We choose to go to on with this endeavour at this time and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard…
A very modified Atacama Yellow 35is :thumbsup: