Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Check engine light

Devon

Check engine light

Post by Devon » Sat Apr 24, 2021 11:53 am

:Hi

New member and picked up my 2010 2.3 last week from a private sale.

Few days on and few issues! Check engine light kicks in when you give iit some beans and slight misfire goes off again a few minutes later abs the engine runs smoothly. Will get it checked out but wondered if any thoughts? Of course it was sweet as a nut on the test drive!

Also the blue tooth doesn’t seem to connect to my I iPhone.

Thanks in advance

mcbutler

Check engine light

Post by mcbutler » Sat Apr 24, 2021 2:02 pm

Devon wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 11:53 am :Hi

Few days on and few issues! Check engine light kicks in when you give iit some beans and slight misfire goes off again a few minutes later abs the engine runs smoothly. Will get it checked out but wondered if any thoughts? Of course it was sweet as a nut on the test drive!

Thanks in advance
Bluetooth audio is not available on the E89 - you can get aftermarket solutions though. Lots of posts if you search the forum.
Whereabnouts are you located, might be a local member you can meet up with eho has a code reader for your misfire problems..
Mark
Plymouth
E89
35i
Carmine Red
Black leather

Devon

Check engine light

Post by Devon » Sat Apr 24, 2021 6:24 pm

Thanks Mark

I’m up in Shaldon, it happened again this morning and lost power so I have booked it in to a dealer. They will probably take my arm off when the bill comes so that is very useful to know though for the future.

flybobbie
Lifer
Lifer

Check engine light

Post by flybobbie » Sat Apr 24, 2021 7:13 pm

Probably just a coil. My colleague had one go at 12k miles. Can get them for £25, but BMW £80! each.
Go euro car parts get 6 change them.

Devon

Check engine light

Post by Devon » Sat Apr 24, 2021 7:31 pm

May sleep better tonight! Thanks

mcbutler

Check engine light

Post by mcbutler » Sat Apr 24, 2021 7:34 pm

Devon wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 6:24 pm Thanks Mark

I’m up in Shaldon, it happened again this morning and lost power so I have booked it in to a dealer. They will probably take my arm off when the bill comes so that is very useful to know though for the future.
I am down the road in Plymouth and we have a member over in Exeter.
I have code reading software if you want to pop over and can ralso ecommend a very good indy dealer in Plympton by the name of RL Motors 01752 336666. Try calling them for a chat before you go to a main stealer......
Mark
Plymouth
E89
35i
Carmine Red
Black leather

Pbondar

Check engine light

Post by Pbondar » Sat Apr 24, 2021 8:02 pm

Devon wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 11:53 am :Hi

Thanks in advance
Ref the Bluetooth you need to follow the pairing routine in the owners manual ...step by step....almost invariably works then :thumbsup:

R.E92

Check engine light

Post by R.E92 » Sun Apr 25, 2021 11:55 am

mcbutler wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 2:02 pm Bluetooth audio is not available on the E89 - you can get aftermarket solutions though. Lots of posts if you search the forum.
Whereabnouts are you located, might be a local member you can meet up with eho has a code reader for your misfire problems..
Bluetooth audio is available but only on iDrive cars.

mcbutler

Check engine light

Post by mcbutler » Sun Apr 25, 2021 1:59 pm

R.E92 wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 11:55 am
mcbutler wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 2:02 pm Bluetooth audio is not available on the E89 - you can get aftermarket solutions though. Lots of posts if you search the forum.
I was referencing audio as in music, need to be more clear.
Mark
Plymouth
E89
35i
Carmine Red
Black leather

R.E92

Check engine light

Post by R.E92 » Sun Apr 25, 2021 4:26 pm

mcbutler wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 1:59 pm
R.E92 wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 11:55 am
I was referencing audio as in music, need to be more clear.
Yes so was I. Bluetooth music is pretty standard on iDrive cars I think. It was only 2009 cars and a couple of months of 2010 ones that came without it and for those it's an easy retrofit.

Devon

Check engine light

Post by Devon » Sun Apr 25, 2021 5:32 pm

Sorry if I wasn’t clear I’m still learning the abbreviations and jargon. It’s a. S drive and looking at the phone set up it seems others have been loaded. Annoyingly there was no user manual with the car. It shows the bmw reference and asks for the reference when searching but the iPhone doesn’t pick it up or give a code to enter. Maybe a phone issue.

mcbutler

Check engine light

Post by mcbutler » Sun Apr 25, 2021 9:25 pm

Devon wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 5:32 pm Sorry if I wasn’t clear I’m still learning the abbreviations and jargon. It’s a. S drive and looking at the phone set up it seems others have been loaded. Annoyingly there was no user manual with the car. It shows the bmw reference and asks for the reference when searching but the iPhone doesn’t pick it up or give a code to enter. Maybe a phone issue.
Hey devon, they are all 'S-Drive' that just means its a two wheel drive asopposed to a 4 wheel or 'X-Drive'.
The i-Drive reffered to is the upgraded media option on some cars, if you have this you have a pop upscreen on the dashboard with a large 'knob' located just rear of the gearstick which controls the system a bit like a mouse.....
You can download the manual as an app, at least you can on an iPhone search the app store for BMW DRIVERS GUIDE.

If you go here https://www.mdecoder.com/
you can enter your cars VIN number and it will give you the build spec of your individual vehicle....
Mark
Plymouth
E89
35i
Carmine Red
Black leather

Pondrew
Lifer
Lifer

Check engine light

Post by Pondrew » Sun Apr 25, 2021 10:17 pm

Devon wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 5:32 pm Sorry if I wasn’t clear I’m still learning the abbreviations and jargon. It’s a. S drive and looking at the phone set up it seems others have been loaded. Annoyingly there was no user manual with the car. It shows the bmw reference and asks for the reference when searching but the iPhone doesn’t pick it up or give a code to enter. Maybe a phone issue.
Hello matey. Try this link for downloading a manual (you may have to find the most relevant but they are all free) :thumbsup:
https://www.bmwsections.com/docs/z4/
All good things come to those who wait. I'm really impatient which explains a lot.

F31 320i. Good car.
E89 20i Now fully dried
Z3 'free litre'. Project and a half. Complicated!
Mazda3 sold
Tatty old R56 Mini Cooper. Money pit!