Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Boot/trunk will not open on E89

Xela

Post by Xela » Tue Mar 23, 2021 11:27 am

My boot/trunk will not open using remote fob or manually by lifting BMW badge on boot lid. There is a plastic insert where the internal boot release should be (next to bonnet release).

All fuses are intact. I'm thinking it could be a roof issue? However, even if it is, knowing this doesn't help if you can't access the boot.

I do not have a ski hatch fitted and BMW don't fit one retrospectively. I wonder is there is a plastic insert that could be punched out to gain access to boot. This assumes the would be some kind of toggle to pull to release boot catch.

Does anyone know of any way to access boot given the above?

Many thanks

clarker63

Post by clarker63 » Tue Mar 23, 2021 11:35 am

does the roof open or do you get some errors? there's no easy way to do it without retrofitting a bowden cable I believe.

Smartbear
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Smartbear » Tue Mar 23, 2021 12:09 pm

It’s only the American cars that have the anti-kidnap bowden cable i believe :cry:
Rob

e89 Sdrive 20i, plenty of mumbo & good economy-the thinking bears z4
e89 Sdrive 30i, this ones busted, pass me another...
e85 3.0si sold

flybobbie
Lifer
Lifer

Post by flybobbie » Tue Mar 23, 2021 1:11 pm

Think you need to read codes.
There could be a roof fault stopping the boot from unlocking.
Try the roof.

ric19

Post by ric19 » Tue Mar 23, 2021 8:51 pm

I think the dealers are able to order the boot to open, overriding any errors that are showing by using their dedicated software

ric19

Post by ric19 » Tue Mar 23, 2021 9:01 pm

From the maintenance doc:-

The rear lid can also be forced to open by using the diagnostic tester. The rear lid
activation via the JBE component activation function. This activation request
ignores all status that would typically inhibit rear lid operation such as top
position.

Mojito

Post by Mojito » Wed Mar 24, 2021 8:13 am

Have a look at my post " Another Boot Lock not opening from Roundel" - Cause and Solution. It's under E89 Problems.
You can definately open the the boot lid using a Foxwell - I've done it.
Hope this helps.
Last edited by Mojito on Wed Mar 24, 2021 5:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
E85 3.0i SE Sterling Grey, 2004
E89 20i SDrive M Sport - Mineral Grey - Sold

flybobbie
Lifer
Lifer

Post by flybobbie » Wed Mar 24, 2021 11:35 am

Mojito wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 8:13 am Have a look at my post " Another Boot Lock not opening from Roundel" - Cause and Solution. It's under E89 Problems.
You can definately open the the bid lid using a Foxwell - I've done it.
Hope this helps.
Something i was going to check using my Foxwell, nice to know.
Probably my best investment that code reader.

Xela

Post by Xela » Thu Mar 25, 2021 11:21 am

Thank you all for your prompt and great advice. I am humbled and blown away at the same time.

I bought my 2.8iS as a present to myself for a milestone birthday. She gets little use and sits outside all the time (the car that is).She is a 2012 plate with only 13,000 miles on the clock. I was wondering it it might be water ingress but the boot not opening occurred last summer where the temperatures were high and we had very little, if any, rain to speak of.

Through lack of use, the battery went flat (for the first time) so I borrowed a charger from a friend. I put it on full charge overnight and did not disconnect the battery. I was wondering if this might be the cause. The aircon did not work either though that was sorted out with a recharge.

Anyway, I have plenty to be getting on with and am thinking of getting a diagnostic kit if I can command boot to open with that. Although I been it may be a roof issue, I still need to get into the boot. Especially as I suspect this fact alone would fail an MOT??

I will keep you posted.

Best wishes

Xela

clarker63

Post by clarker63 » Thu Mar 25, 2021 11:43 am

Xela wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 11:21 am Thank you all for your prompt and great advice. I am humbled and blown away at the same time.

I bought my 2.8iS as a present to myself for a milestone birthday. She gets little use and sits outside all the time (the car that is).She is a 2012 plate with only 13,000 miles on the clock. I was wondering it it might be water ingress but the boot not opening occurred last summer where the temperatures were high and we had very little, if any, rain to speak of.

Through lack of use, the battery went flat (for the first time) so I borrowed a charger from a friend. I put it on full charge overnight and did not disconnect the battery. I was wondering if this might be the cause. The aircon did not work either though that was sorted out with a recharge.

Anyway, I have plenty to be getting on with and am thinking of getting a diagnostic kit if I can command boot to open with that. Although I been it may be a roof issue, I still need to get into the boot. Especially as I suspect this fact alone would fail an MOT??

I will keep you posted.

Best wishes

Xela
Sounds like you have a raft of issues. you need to sort each one out in order, and opening the boot is the first. you may find its full of water (by the pump) or damp electronics (under the right boot panel) or an old battery, or faulty microswitches or broken wires...or something else! You didn't mention if the roof opens, I am assuming not... (but its helpful to know as access to the boot area, even only when the roof is partially open is key, as is any error codes)

Pbondar

Post by Pbondar » Thu Mar 25, 2021 1:07 pm

Mojito wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 8:13 am Have a look at my post " Another Boot Lock not opening from Roundel" - Cause and Solution. It's under E89 Problems.
You can definately open the the boot lid using a Foxwell - I've done it.
Hope this helps.

That’s good to know, I don’t normally use my Foxwell for my Zed but I may stick it in the car along with my Protool from Bimmergeeks going forward.

As clarke63 said by this stage it could be a raft of issues but any water in the boot is an obvious and bad sign, long flat batteries are notorious for throwing both spurious and real errors...some of which can cause permanent damage to ECUs that require factory coding tools to recover from.

Once flattened in this way they are essentially junk as the E89 needs lots of high quality ‘juice’ to work well.. :thumbsup:

flybobbie
Lifer
Lifer

Post by flybobbie » Thu Mar 25, 2021 1:50 pm

Any long term standing of car might be good idea to keep bonnet unlatched, so as to get to the charge points.

clarker63

Post by clarker63 » Thu Mar 25, 2021 2:08 pm

flybobbie wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 1:50 pm Any long term standing of car might be good idea to keep bonnet unlatched, so as to get to the charge points.
interesting. its a manual cable release on the bonnet.. did you mean the boot? :thumbsup:

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enuff_zed » Thu Mar 25, 2021 2:18 pm

clarker63 wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 2:08 pm
flybobbie wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 1:50 pm Any long term standing of car might be good idea to keep bonnet unlatched, so as to get to the charge points.
interesting. its a manual cable release on the bonnet.. did you mean the boot? :thumbsup:
I suspect he means that if you lock the car and the battery goes flat you can simply lift the bonnet to access the battery charging terminals, connect another battery and hopefully have enough power to at least unlock and access everything.
I know a lot of people don't have power in their garage and therefore cannot leave any kind of trickle charger/maintainer connected, but I think Smartbear did have an interim solution, with a Ctek cable permanently connected and tucked away behind the grill. Then I would think if you got to your car and it was flat, there would be at least a chance of employing an extension lead and getting enough charge in to open it all up maybe?
HQ of 'Norfolk Zed Rescue'.
Always happy to help if I can.

If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

clarker63

Post by clarker63 » Thu Mar 25, 2021 2:22 pm

enuff_zed wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 2:18 pm
clarker63 wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 2:08 pm
I suspect he means that if you lock the car and the battery goes flat you can simply lift the bonnet to access the battery charging terminals, connect another battery and hopefully have enough power to at least unlock and access everything.
I know a lot of people don't have power in their garage and therefore cannot leave any kind of trickle charger/maintainer connected, but I think Smartbear did have an interim solution, with a Ctek cable permanently connected and tucked away behind the grill. Then I would think if you got to your car and it was flat, there would be at least a chance of employing an extension lead and getting enough charge in to open it all up maybe?
fair point if the locks no longer work with a flat battery, but I'd be surprised if the key didn't work manually.. (although I'm usually surprised by something each day!) :D