Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

!!! z4 no any code no power !!!

ph001
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ph001 » Tue Feb 16, 2021 8:49 pm

It does just look like a lack of boost as you say. If it was in limp home mode you would definitely have engine management light on and code stored.

I don’t really know enough about the 2.0l to say how the waste gate actuator is controlled but maybe this is where I would start. Also, how is boost pressure measured by the ecu? I would assume with some kind of MAP (manifold absolute pressure) sensor. If the sensor is reporting wrong value then ecu thinks it is doing full boost when it isn’t????
2007 E85 Z4 3.0Si manual :driving:
19" CSL's | Eibach Springs | Aeroskirts | Z4M front bumper | Clear brake light | ZHP | RCH+| Stubby

2004 E46 M3 coupe manual - gone but not forgotten.

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enuff_zed » Wed Feb 17, 2021 9:01 am

Ok, this is a really random guess but....................
As previously discussed on this forum, some of the N20s had a pneumatic operated waste gate and others had an electronically operated one.
I have no idea exactly what the physical differences may be, but are you sure you have the correct type for your car.
As I recall, it was the later ones that switched to an electrically operated one?
HQ of 'Norfolk Zed Rescue'.
Always happy to help if I can.

If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

abdullah

Post by abdullah » Wed Feb 17, 2021 9:28 am

enuff_zed wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 9:01 am Ok, this is a really random guess but....................
As previously discussed on this forum, some of the N20s had a pneumatic operated waste gate and others had an electronically operated one.
I have no idea exactly what the physical differences may be, but are you sure you have the correct type for your car.
As I recall, it was the later ones that switched to an electrically operated one?
my waste valve is electronic. vacuum pump brake and exhaust flap opening and closing work. but my vacuum pump is constantly leaving oil in the faulty engine cover. but this does not affect the car going because wastgate is electronic, not solenoid.

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enuff_zed » Wed Feb 17, 2021 9:49 am

abdullah wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 9:28 am
enuff_zed wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 9:01 am Ok, this is a really random guess but....................
my waste valve is electronic. vacuum pump brake and exhaust flap opening and closing work. but my vacuum pump is constantly leaving oil in the faulty engine cover. but this does not affect the car going because wastgate is electronic, not solenoid.
Ok, rules out one other possibility then.

If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

ph001
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ph001 » Wed Feb 17, 2021 12:16 pm

What is normal boost pressure for the N20? You say that the ECU is only demanding 0.5bar, but how do you know this exactly? Have you actually seen any live data on boost pressure?
19" CSL's | Eibach Springs | Aeroskirts | Z4M front bumper | Clear brake light | ZHP | RCH+| Stubby

abdullah

Post by abdullah » Wed Feb 17, 2021 1:12 pm

ph001 wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 12:16 pm What is normal boost pressure for the N20? You say that the ECU is only demanding 0.5bar, but how do you know this exactly? Have you actually seen any live data on boost pressure?
we monitored the real road test with the computer connected to the car. We checked all values such as calculated and actual crank speed, torque, fuel suction, air suction. All values correspond exactly to the request and calculation of the ECU. but here the ECU turbo pressure does not exceed 0.5 bar request, the pedal map I know and in sports mode, it should request pressure between 0.9-1.1 bar. We did the wastgate on / off manual test from the computer and it gave no problems.

ori

Post by ori » Thu Feb 18, 2021 1:47 am

Maybe it can’t reach a higher boost because of a leak?

Smartbear
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Smartbear » Thu Feb 18, 2021 2:21 am

ori wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 1:47 am Maybe it can’t reach a higher boost because of a leak?
Turbo isn’t being asked to boost any higher than 0.5bar, it can’t be a leak :?
Rob

e89 Sdrive 20i, plenty of mumbo & good economy-the thinking bears z4
e89 Sdrive 30i, this ones busted, pass me another...
e85 3.0si sold

abdullah

Post by abdullah » Thu Feb 18, 2021 6:19 am

Smartbear wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 2:21 am
ori wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 1:47 am Maybe it can’t reach a higher boost because of a leak?
Turbo isn’t being asked to boost any higher than 0.5bar, it can’t be a leak :?
Rob

Just like you said, we have already kept all the lines to compression, zero leakage. ECU not requesting boost.

ph001
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ph001 » Thu Feb 18, 2021 7:37 am

Does the E89 have vacuum controlled exhaust valve? I know on other bmw models that if you get a leak on the vacuum line there then it affects the wastegate actuator and you get low boost.

The dump valve is another area to consider if it’s not part of the turbo assembly (in which case it would be new anyway if the turbo is new).

I think the only way you are going to get to the bottom of this is to put something like a JB4 on it, then you know the ecu map is good. Also has the advantage of comprehensive data logging.

I’m still not sure how the OP has concluded the ecu is only demanding 0.5bar. It’s easy enough to measure 0.5bar actual boost pressure but that’s not to say that is all that is being demanded.

R.E92

Post by R.E92 » Thu Feb 18, 2021 1:02 pm

Yes, seems to be a lack of procedure here. This should be an easy issue to sort but it sounds like OP is just changing random parts in the hope something fixes it.

Target boost of 0.5bar would be 7PSI, the N20 should run at around 18PSI target from memory.

If the target boost is truly 7PSI and there's no error codes logged in ISTA then you almost certainly have a mismatch of DME software. This isn't a limp mode, rather a powerclass mismatch which won't trigger any codes, just puts the car into a low power mode and keeps the wastegates open.

If target boost is normal but actual boost is low you would certainly see a low charge pressure error code on the dash.

Blocked cats can give all the symptoms you've stated so that's another possibility. Nobody in their right mind would still have primary cats fitted anyway so no harm in getting them removed if they are an issue.

I wouldn't throw money away on a JB4 just for logging, there's a free program called TestO that will run on a laptop. You can also use Bimmergeeks ProTool for logging engine data which would be my chosen solution.

abdullah

Post by abdullah » Fri Feb 19, 2021 11:39 am

R.E92 wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 1:02 pm Yes, seems to be a lack of procedure here. This should be an easy issue to sort but it sounds like OP is just changing random parts in the hope something fixes it.

Target boost of 0.5bar would be 7PSI, the N20 should run at around 18PSI target from memory.

If the target boost is truly 7PSI and there's no error codes logged in ISTA then you almost certainly have a mismatch of DME software. This isn't a limp mode, rather a powerclass mismatch which won't trigger any codes, just puts the car into a low power mode and keeps the wastegates open.

If target boost is normal but actual boost is low you would certainly see a low charge pressure error code on the dash.

Blocked cats can give all the symptoms you've stated so that's another possibility. Nobody in their right mind would still have primary cats fitted anyway so no harm in getting them removed if they are an issue.

I wouldn't throw money away on a JB4 just for logging, there's a free program called TestO that will run on a laptop. You can also use Bimmergeeks ProTool for logging engine data which would be my chosen solution.
I went to pick up the car today. but the master said that wastgate opens itself after 1500 rpm in the tests. I cannot determine why he opened it, he said.

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enuff_zed » Fri Feb 19, 2021 11:49 am

So does that suggest the car thinks it is over-boosting, and opens the waste gate to dump it?
Could that be due to a boost sensor reading incorrectly?

Which I just realised is the question ph001 raised earlier.

Raj_UK

Post by Raj_UK » Wed Feb 24, 2021 10:34 pm

Any update on this? I was finding it really interesting!
Z4less :?

abdullah

Post by abdullah » Thu Feb 25, 2021 9:52 am

Raj_UK wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 10:34 pm Any update on this? I was finding it really interesting!
unfortunately :( we canceled the oxygen sensor and tried it. We did a DME reset. We tried a new brain. We did a software copy from another e89. There was no improvement. my ridiculous car goes to 100 in 11 seconds and there is no fault code and our trials were inconclusive. .