Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Smell of fuel

flybobbie
Lifer
Lifer

Smell of fuel

Post by flybobbie » Sun Jan 17, 2021 9:44 pm

When i start up from cold my 23i i get the smell of fuel from the air vents for the first few seconds.
I will have a closer look tomorrow, but can't see anything obvious.

Smartbear
Lifer
Lifer

Smell of fuel

Post by Smartbear » Sun Jan 17, 2021 10:56 pm

flybobbie wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 9:44 pm When i start up from cold my 23i i get the smell of fuel from the air vents for the first few seconds.
Does it start as easily as it always has or does it “miss” on cold starts? The n54 engined cars can suffer from leaking injectors which can cause cold miss fires, haven’t really heard of it on n52 cars though :?
Rob

e89 Sdrive 20i, plenty of mumbo & good economy-the thinking bears z4
e89 Sdrive 30i, this ones busted, pass me another...
e85 3.0si sold

flybobbie
Lifer
Lifer

Smell of fuel

Post by flybobbie » Sun Jan 17, 2021 11:03 pm

Starts and runs perfect.
Perhaps there is a slight leak, fuel builds overnight and perhaps vapours run over the outside vent, to be drawn in, as the heater fan is always on.
I will take cover off engine to look for anything obvious.
Only really noticed since it got cold and i assume the fuel doesn't evaporate off.
And my sense of smell came back after catching mild covid.

R.E92

Smell of fuel

Post by R.E92 » Mon Jan 18, 2021 12:05 pm

flybobbie wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 9:44 pm When i start up from cold my 23i i get the smell of fuel from the air vents for the first few seconds.
Possibly an exhaust leak at the manifold or downpipes. You could start the car and feel around the exhaust side of the engine for any blowing or listen for a leak.

flybobbie
Lifer
Lifer

Smell of fuel

Post by flybobbie » Mon Jan 18, 2021 8:02 pm

Well today had a good sniff around the bonnet, nothing. Left the car cover on, jumped in and started.
No smell.
Then realised i always have the vent on re-circulation, so smell probably not from engine bay.
I also noted wind direction. I think the smell is fuel from the exhaust. Getting into the cabin. Fumes must pool in the cabin floor and then when i start it's sucked through and then i smell it.