Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Alarm goes off when it rains - Puma?

ronk
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ronk » Fri Nov 13, 2020 2:46 pm

Insurance normally asks about alarm systems tho.
You don't stop playing when you get old - You get old when you stop playing!
So I bought a 35is with all the toys to play with. :thumbsup:

mr.tourette
Lifer
Lifer

Post by mr.tourette » Fri Nov 13, 2020 4:46 pm

ronk wrote: Fri Nov 13, 2020 2:46 pm Insurance normally asks about alarm systems tho.
Still got an alarm though hasn't it, lt would be the immobiliser that prevents any theft and that would still be operational not the op's fault if a wire has corroded through :wink:
if its got tits or tyres..its trouble :D

ronk
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ronk » Fri Nov 13, 2020 5:06 pm

mr.tourette wrote: Fri Nov 13, 2020 4:46 pm
ronk wrote: Fri Nov 13, 2020 2:46 pm Insurance normally asks about alarm systems tho.
Still got an alarm though hasn't it, lt would be the immobiliser that prevents any theft and that would still be operational not the op's fault if a wire has corroded through :wink:
I hear what you say and did think about that scenario before posting but it would leave a doubt in my mind.
I think I would rather just get it sorted and leave no doubt.

ronk
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ronk » Thu Nov 26, 2020 12:34 am

Have you had any progress with the diagnosis of the fault?

ianl

Post by ianl » Sun Jan 24, 2021 4:07 pm

Just to give a quick update. I still had problems with the alarm going off. I removed everything I had added (hard-wired dashcam, SmartTop, LEDs for the angel eyes) but it still went off once. I removed the wire to the bonnet sensor. Then I revisited the PUMA mod to the door sensors, and realised I had misinterpreted the diagram and had place the foil on the wrong side (I place it on the inward facing side, rather than towards the outer skin of the door).

However, since applying the foil correctly I have reinstalled everything I had before and the alarm has not gone off. It is over a month now, and we've had a few bad storms which I would have expected to cause the alarm to go off. So, I think it is fixed. RTFM as they say!

I also looked at a possible drain on the battery. I spent some time pulling fuses and trying to work out if there was a drain or not. I have a bluetooth battery monitor connected now, which shows a slow drain over time (on my phone, which is very useful, see https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B08 ... UTF8&psc=1), but I expect that is just the usual drain caused by having the alarm on, so I'm not worried about that. I can leave the car for over a week and it is fine.

Thanks for everyone's advice. I hope I haven't jinxed it now!
2010 e89 30i Sdrive Auto
2016 F31 330D Msport+ Xdrive Auto
Gone E88 120i Msport
Gone 3 other BMWs

ronk
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ronk » Sun Jan 24, 2021 4:40 pm

I would say that’s a result!

When the dealer fixed the problem on a previous 2010 car, they said that they’d applied some of Tesco’s best kitchen foil to the door.