Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

while investigating manual tranny clutch clunking when clutch pedal released in 1st and reverse

tintoverano

while investigating manual tranny clutch clunking when clutch pedal released in 1st and reverse

Post by tintoverano » Wed Sep 23, 2020 1:43 pm

I started investigating the noise from the back with the differential, propeller shaft, tranny checking everything with eyes, ears, hands, anything what looked useful

right now I'm at narrowing the source down to the clutch pressure plate - more investigation is due around this to confirm
in the meantime googling the internet, some people tried getting lose from all the noises they're hearing by "re-settling" the tranny:

1. jack the car up all the way
2. release the nuts and bolts of the tranny's rubber mounts and the cross member, then finger tight them
3. get into the driver seat, shift through all the gears a couple of times, turn on the engine and shift again ...
3. to finish torque down everything to specs

the unexpected side effect[/u] of the above was, that gear change became very precise and solid in all gears (shifting to 5th/6th I could hardly feel a thing - some may say that's good, I like feedback) and the well-known first gear notchy-ness is less obtrusive now as well
mSport 23i
Coding Help, Stubby, Remap, K&N filter, Cruise Ctrl, Reverse cam, Instrument Cluster Color, UR front brace, CDV delete, Android on CIC, Roof Module, LSD

tintoverano

Post by tintoverano » Thu Sep 24, 2020 1:34 pm

forgot to mention, that the clutch works as expected otherwise

on some other makes, this clunk is even considered normal and according to the owners, it didn't cause issues

I don't remember, if the clunk was present before and I just simply didn't have the ears for it

well, it doesn't matter now, since I can hear it now :rofl:
mSport 23i
Coding Help, Stubby, Remap, K&N filter, Cruise Ctrl, Reverse cam, Instrument Cluster Color, UR front brace, CDV delete, Android on CIC, Roof Module, LSD

flybobbie
Lifer
Lifer

Post by flybobbie » Thu Sep 24, 2020 9:16 pm

Well-known first gear notchy-ness. try some Redline MT-LV gear oil, made a huge difference on my car.
Hardly ever grind that 2nd gear.

tintoverano

Post by tintoverano » Thu Sep 24, 2020 10:07 pm

thanks, I recently changed the oil and it did improve shifting, together with re-settling the tranny I'm happy now with that part

it is the clunk, mentioned in the title of the post, what concerns me

so far it looks like I can only learn about the source, if I removed the clutch
mSport 23i

mcbutler

Post by mcbutler » Tue Sep 29, 2020 5:29 pm

Can we still say 'tranny' these days :D :D :rofl: :rofl: :o :o
Mark
Plymouth
E89
35i
Carmine Red
Black leather

Argyll Andy
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Argyll Andy » Tue Sep 29, 2020 5:39 pm

mcbutler wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 5:29 pm Can we still say 'tranny' these days :D :D :rofl: :rofl: :o :o
As long as you’re from Glasgow/West of Scotland and talking about a portable radio :rofl:

G29 M40i Thundernight with Ivory interior, all option packs (here for a while, hopefully :oops:)
    G29 M40i Misano Blue all option packs (Gone 26k of fun)
    E89 35iS, Valencia Orange, Design Pure Traction pack (Gone)
    E89 23i sDrive, Silver (Gone)

tintoverano

Post by tintoverano » Tue Sep 29, 2020 6:12 pm

:D :D no pun intended
    mSport 23i