Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

E89 rear slippery on wet country roads - Best solution ? Tyres ?

Lazza

Post by Lazza » Thu Aug 20, 2020 9:53 pm

Are you saying it loses grip in a straight line? Is it actually losing grip or is it just the traction control light coming on?
Z4 S-Drive 35i
Audi TT S-line
Mazda MX5 Mk2.5 (for sale)
Wokingham Berkshire

mr.tourette
Lifer
Lifer

Post by mr.tourette » Thu Aug 20, 2020 10:08 pm

Lazza wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 9:53 pm Are you saying it loses grip in a straight line? Is it actually losing grip or is it just the traction control light coming on?
I just took mine out tonight on fresh tyres for a spirited drive, i did get a few traction lights coming on including flooring it in 3rd for a fast overtake, never lost grip at any point though
if its got tits or tyres..its trouble :D

Rucky

Post by Rucky » Fri Aug 21, 2020 9:44 am

Swapped RF for a set of non runflat Michelins from Costco.
Run at a lower pressure than RF too.
One of these fits down the side of the battery on an E85 - I thought they were standard as they were in the 04 2.5 and 07 30si we had / have.
Attachments
Mini Compressor and goo
Mini Compressor and goo
Z4 3.jpg (169.12 KiB) Viewed 1306 times
same
same
Z4 1.jpg (163.49 KiB) Viewed 1306 times
04 2.5i Titan silver - 1st Z4 now sold on
07 3.0si Silver Grey M Sport pak.
X5 and assorted motorbikes

Lazza

Post by Lazza » Fri Aug 21, 2020 4:47 pm

mr.tourette wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 10:08 pm
Lazza wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 9:53 pm Are you saying it loses grip in a straight line? Is it actually losing grip or is it just the traction control light coming on?
I just took mine out tonight on fresh tyres for a spirited drive, i did get a few traction lights coming on including flooring it in 3rd for a fast overtake, never lost grip at any point though
That's fairly normal on new tyres as they have a release agent (which is why they are shiney) and need a few wear/heat cycles before they start working as well as they can.

I was going to ask bluesun89 what size tyres he has front & rear as if you change one end by more than the other end it can trigger the TC & ABS in normal driving.
Z4 S-Drive 35i
Audi TT S-line
Mazda MX5 Mk2.5 (for sale)
Wokingham Berkshire

bluesun89

Post by bluesun89 » Mon Aug 24, 2020 1:58 pm

I was on these tyres (stock dimensions & stock model) Bridgestone Potenza RFT :
- Front : 225/40/18
- Rear : 255/35/18

And it was starting to loose grip on wet, uneven country roads (mostly straight), and more clearly when turning.
Also a couple of time completely straight highway road at 60-65mph, when it was really pouring.
and no, I didnt notice the traction light coming off (although tbh i didnt have time to look at the dash, was mostly focused on reducing speed and getting grip back :? )

Just changed to Michelin Pilot Sport 4 non-RFT, and so far I get a sense that I am having much better grip indeed. although to be fair it hasnt been raining hard / pouring so can't really compare, but Im confident my previous tyres just didnt seem to do the job right (and again, i'm driving gently, no spirited driving..)

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enuff_zed » Mon Aug 24, 2020 2:15 pm

bluesun89 wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 1:58 pm I was on these tyres (stock dimensions & stock model) Bridgestone Potenza RFT :
- Front : 225/40/18
- Rear : 255/35/18

And it was starting to loose grip on wet, uneven country roads (mostly straight), and more clearly when turning.
Also a couple of time completely straight highway road at 60-65mph, when it was really pouring.
and no, I didnt notice the traction light coming off (although tbh i didnt have time to look at the dash, was mostly focused on reducing speed and getting grip back :? )

Just changed to Michelin Pilot Sport 4 non-RFT, and so far I get a sense that I am having much better grip indeed. although to be fair it hasnt been raining hard / pouring so can't really compare, but Im confident my previous tyres just didnt seem to do the job right (and again, i'm driving gently, no spirited driving..)
Yup, those are the same sizes as mine; see my earlier reply with the pressures I'm using (F34, R36). But mine are GY Assy 5s so you may end up using subtly different pressures?
HQ of 'Norfolk Zed Rescue'.
Always happy to help if I can.

If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

bluesun89

Post by bluesun89 » Mon Aug 24, 2020 2:43 pm

For now i am still using the same pressures as for the RFT (i think F36, R39) - the guys at Euromasters put them on F39 R39 and i told them that it was a mistake for the front, which they acknoledged - but they didnt want to take it lower elsewhere (they argued RFT or not is irrelevant) :x
I'll just reduce the pressure myself after a few hundred miles

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enuff_zed » Mon Aug 24, 2020 2:49 pm

bluesun89 wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 2:43 pm For now i am still using the same pressures as for the RFT (i think F36, R39) - the guys at Euromasters put them on F39 R39 and i told them that it was a mistake for the front, which they acknoledged - but they didnt want to take it lower elsewhere (they argued RFT or not is irrelevant) :x
That is an ongoing bone of contention on here tbh. Some stick rigidly to the book figures and others adjust to what they feel works for them.
HQ of 'Norfolk Zed Rescue'.
Always happy to help if I can.

If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

Pbondar

Post by Pbondar » Mon Aug 24, 2020 3:34 pm

enuff_zed wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 2:49 pm
bluesun89 wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 2:43 pm For now i am still using the same pressures as for the RFT (i think F36, R39) - the guys at Euromasters put them on F39 R39 and i told them that it was a mistake for the front, which they acknoledged - but they didnt want to take it lower elsewhere (they argued RFT or not is irrelevant) :x
That is an ongoing bone of contention on here tbh. Some stick rigidly to the book figures and others adjust to what they feel works for them.
Oh dear it was going so well till he mentioned "t$r£ p$ss&res" :tumbleweed:

bluesun89

Post by bluesun89 » Mon Aug 24, 2020 3:51 pm

Haha - I don't think I would feel the difference tbh at +/- 0.2 psi, I'll just go -0.2psi below the recommended setting and leave it like this.

Great car color btw Pbondar, I was looking for Atacama yellow when i was in the market for a Zed earlier last year, but there were none (so ended up buying a more boring 2014 mineral grey )

Pbondar

Post by Pbondar » Mon Aug 24, 2020 4:18 pm

bluesun89 wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 3:51 pm Haha - I don't think I would feel the difference tbh at +/- 0.2 psi, I'll just go -0.2psi below the recommended setting and leave it like this.

Great car color btw Pbondar, I was looking for Atacama yellow when i was in the market for a Zed earlier last year, but there were none (so ended up buying a more boring 2014 mineral grey )
Thank you..I went down the route of the usual greys/blacks/blues but then was enlightened to Atacama Yellow which inverted my search..I didn't mind what the engine was as long it was yellow and fully loaded! :tumbleweed:

Enjoy the new tyres and don't be afraide to experiment to find what suits you and your car..I would think a low of 32/34 is the lower limit but the make of tyre/model of tyre/your suspension/your driving style and your roads will determine the best answers :thumbsup:

bluesun89

Post by bluesun89 » Tue Sep 01, 2020 2:13 pm

Fyi, just as a follow-up : I am just back from 1000 miles trip to the Lake District (including from/to London), and the car had an absolutely perfect grip, even under rainy conditions, with the new Michelin PS4 - let alone the very noticeable improvement in ride comfort. Highly Recommended.

Busterboo

Post by Busterboo » Tue Sep 15, 2020 1:02 pm

bluesun89 wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 2:13 pm Fyi, just as a follow-up : I am just back from 1000 miles trip to the Lake District (including from/to London), and the car had an absolutely perfect grip, even under rainy conditions, with the new Michelin PS4 - let alone the very noticeable improvement in ride comfort. Highly Recommended.
Please report how well they wear.
Vidi, vici, veni

bazzae123

Post by bazzae123 » Wed Apr 07, 2021 9:06 pm

Hi, guys,
Its been a while since posting on here but thought the time was right. I've totally lost confidence in my 35iS on 19" rims and run flats. I originally had a 35i which i changed to non-run flats because of the ride and when I upgraded to the 35iS I actually thought they may have changed the suspension slightly as the ride wasn't too bad and I was reasonably happy with the RE050's stock. Its a 2014 plate and still has the original tyres on it, its my Sunday sunny weather car :-) Obviously, over the last year it hasn't seen much use and has sat in the garage eagerly waiting for some return to normality. However, on the odd occasion its been out, its been a real nightmare to drive especially driving over the slightest bump in the road whereas the car just crashes like there's no suspension at all. At one point, hitting a small pot hole mid corner the car felt like it jump several inches to the side. Im not sure if the tyres have just hardened up a bit due to lack of use but its time for the run flats to go, and good riddance :fuelfire: I've opted for a set of Michelin PS4-S, which wasn't cheap, but I want my car back the way I remember it :D Having them fitted Friday so fingers crossed :driving:
Mineral White sDrive35iS DCT Coral Red Kansas leather

ronk
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ronk » Wed Apr 07, 2021 11:12 pm

Let us know your thoughts after fitting :thumbsup:
You don't stop playing when you get old - You get old when you stop playing!
So I bought a 35is with all the toys to play with. :thumbsup: