Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

2016 GPS Antenna Failure

Pbondar

2016 GPS Antenna Failure

Post by Pbondar » Sat Aug 15, 2020 9:07 am

BadgerDog wrote: Sat Aug 15, 2020 8:23 am Thanks for the tip, Pbondar! I'll probably use the diag page first to see how its doing, then go from there. Gorgeous yellow on that car of yours, btw!

Antenna should be here later today, and Ill do a test fit / function, then dive in to the trim job... I picked up this unit: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07R6 ... =UTF8&th=1 which is pretty similar in stats to the one you got, greg. Slightly higher RF power output, and a little bit noisier LNA, but hopefully a good enough match for what I need.
👌

BadgerDog

2016 GPS Antenna Failure

Post by BadgerDog » Sun Aug 16, 2020 2:12 am

Quick test with the head unit pulled and it worked! Your tip ended up being quite necessary, Pbondar. Who knows how much frustration that saved from thinking it was busted... I DID see a correct lat / long in the settings menu which may have given me some hope, but still...

Now to tackle all the trim... Sigh.

BadgerDog

2016 GPS Antenna Failure

Post by BadgerDog » Sun Aug 16, 2020 7:43 am

Aaaaand all done. I didnt bother routing up to where the old one was, so I could avoid ripping off the A-pillar trim and top dash. Found that it was small enough to stick in the area behind the screen next to the center speaker. All I had to remove was the trim up from center console to screen and then the screen itself just for convenience. I was worried the metal grill that goes over that area might mess with reception, but it seems to be working just fine. All is well now! This forum is awesome.

Pbondar

2016 GPS Antenna Failure

Post by Pbondar » Sun Aug 16, 2020 9:31 am

BadgerDog wrote: Sun Aug 16, 2020 2:12 am Quick test with the head unit pulled and it worked! Your tip ended up being quite necessary, Pbondar. Who knows how much frustration that saved from thinking it was busted... I DID see a correct lat / long in the settings menu which may have given me some hope, but still...

Now to tackle all the trim... Sigh.
Well in one sense I'm glad it wasn't just me / my car with that foible..glad we could all help get it fixed! :thumbsup: