Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Wind noise roof up

E89Dan

Wind noise roof up

Post by E89Dan » Tue Aug 04, 2020 11:54 am

Hi im not sure if anyone else has experienced this but everytime im going over 70 mph I can hear wind noise with the roof up. Its appears to be coming from the centre of the roof near to where the mirror is.

Any ideas?

On another note, went to have 4 Goodyears fitted today and both my rear wheels are cracked! One of them has 3 cracks, so looking at new wheels or getting them welded, the guy in the garage said its a common problem with BMWs, is this true?

Many thanks,

Dan

clarker63

Wind noise roof up

Post by clarker63 » Tue Aug 04, 2020 12:06 pm

E89Dan wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 11:54 am Hi im not sure if anyone else has experienced this but everytime im going over 70 mph I can hear wind noise with the roof up. Its appears to be coming from the centre of the roof near to where the mirror is.

Any ideas?

On another note, went to have 4 Goodyears fitted today and both my rear wheels are cracked! One of them has 3 cracks, so looking at new wheels or getting them welded, the guy in the garage said its a common problem with BMWs, is this true?

Many thanks,

Dan
if you have 19" 326 style wheels (like mine, or the 296s), its very common for them to crack. I have just found 2 on mine.. very annoying as oem replacements are extortionate, but they look the business. Am going to get mine welded, but they seem to fail again..

Gummy pledge on the seals might help with the wind noise. Do you get any water in?
35is, sadly gone, but not forgotten.

E89Dan

Wind noise roof up

Post by E89Dan » Tue Aug 04, 2020 12:51 pm

Thanks for your reply, yes I have the same wheels as you.
That is a pain, ive been quoted £60 a wheel for them to be welded which im going to get done today as thats not too bad!

Any ideas how long the welds will last? Obviousely its only a temporary fix but like you said the oem wheels are crazy money.

Ill try that thank you, I only get water in if im power washing the car not through rain or anything like that.

clarker63

Wind noise roof up

Post by clarker63 » Tue Aug 04, 2020 1:28 pm

E89Dan wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 12:51 pm That is a pain, ive been quoted £60 a wheel for them to be welded which im going to get done today as thats not too bad!
Any ideas how long the welds will last? Obviousely its only a temporary fix but like you said the oem wheels are crazy money.
not sure. its the first time I have had them welded... and if they need a refurb, then thats more again.. meaning some people have changed their wheels - veemans are popular, but I like the OEM look. this is quite close.. (Mak Luft, but about £900 + new TPMS valves and fitting) :o

https://www.wheelbasealloys.com/alloy-w ... bmw/z4/e89
z4mac_luft.png
z4mac_luft.png (966.18 KiB) Viewed 511 times
35is, sadly gone, but not forgotten.

E89Dan

Wind noise roof up

Post by E89Dan » Tue Aug 04, 2020 3:02 pm

Not really a fan of those other wheels like you said the oem wheels are really nice but thanks for the suggestion. I would only need to two rears but that would set me back about £1300 jusr for 2 of the oem wheels so hopefully the welds last!