Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

The dreaded Increased battery discharge warning

Nanu
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Nanu » Thu Jun 04, 2020 12:09 pm

Thanks,

Just sent them an email for advice re which battery and fitting / coding / registration requirements.
G29 M30i M Sport San Francisco Red

Previous
E89 35is Valencia Orange
E89 28i Crimson
E89 25i White

Nanu
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Nanu » Thu Jun 04, 2020 2:19 pm

Well I have had a quote from them and they recommend a S5 A08 BOSCH AGM CAR BATTERY 12V 70AH TYPE 096 S5A08. delivered for £132 but not fitted.

They say this is the only model that comes with a BEM code???? I presume this is a code that needs to be programmed somehow into the car. Any experts out there who can clarify this or instruct a mechanical novice how to fit the damn thing.

Love driving it but know sod all how to fix it :?

Sounds like a reasonable quote and you can't go very much wrong with Bosch, hopefully.

*** They have just got back to me again and confused me further if that was possible. They say that if the car doesn't have ECO START/STOP technology (Which thankfully it doesn't) then you can use any other brand of 096AGM as it more than likely won't require BEM coding however the battery still may need coding back to the cars ECU. :cry:

Previous
E89 35is Valencia Orange
E89 28i Crimson
E89 25i White

Smartbear
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Smartbear » Thu Jun 04, 2020 3:03 pm

Nanu wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 2:19 pm Well I have had a quote from them and they recommend a S5 A08 BOSCH AGM CAR BATTERY 12V 70AH TYPE 096 S5A08. delivered for £132 but not fitted.

They say this is the only model that comes with a BEM code???? I presume this is a code that needs to be programmed somehow into the car. Any experts out there who can clarify this or instruct a mechanical novice how to fit the damn thing.

Sounds like a reasonable quote and you can't go very much wrong with Bosch, hopefully.

*** They have just got back to me again and confused me further if that was possible. They say that if the car doesn't have ECO START/STOP technology (Which thankfully it doesn't) then you can use any other brand of 096AGM as it more than likely won't require BEM coding however the battery still may need coding back to the cars ECU. :cry:
If the battery is the same rating (AH) as original it will just require registering - this notifies the car the battery has been replaced by one of the same spec.
If it’s a different AH rating, the car needs coding - this alters the charging to suit.
Something like Carly or similar can do both jobs by plugging into the obd :thumbsup:
Look at the Carly owners location thread on here, you could find someone prepared to do this for you :thumbsup:
Rob

e89 Sdrive 20i, plenty of mumbo & good economy-the thinking bears z4
e89 Sdrive 30i, this ones busted, pass me another...
e85 3.0si sold

Pbondar

Post by Pbondar » Thu Jun 04, 2020 7:10 pm

Nanu wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 2:19 pm Well I have had a quote from them and they recommend a S5 A08 BOSCH AGM CAR BATTERY 12V 70AH TYPE 096 S5A08. delivered for £132 but not fitted.

35is came with the 80ah version in most markets the 70ah was for less powerful versions..

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Post by Mr Tidy » Thu Jun 04, 2020 8:37 pm

FWIW OP my only experience of an AGM battery was in my 1 Series, and that didn't make it to 5 years either despite the car getting frequent use as it had done 55K miles. Mind you it did have stop/start which I don't think helped! And it did need coding. The only good thing was the amber light on the dash before it actually died.

By comparison the non-AGM battery in my 2nd Coupe lasted 10 years. :?
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

Pbondar

Post by Pbondar » Thu Jun 04, 2020 9:04 pm

Mr Tidy wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 8:37 pm FWIW OP my only experience of an AGM battery was in my 1 Series, and that didn't make it to 5 years either despite the car getting frequent use as it had done 55K miles. Mind you it did have stop/start which I don't think helped! And it did need coding. The only good thing was the amber light on the dash before it actually died.

By comparison the non-AGM battery in my 2nd Coupe lasted 10 years. :?
Stop / start kills batteries..my non stop start E89 20i had an 8 year old battery that still had 75% capacity left when I swapped it out..AGM of course..

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Post by Mr Tidy » Thu Jun 04, 2020 9:08 pm

Pbondar wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 9:04 pm Stop / start kills batteries..my non stop start E89 20i had an 8 year old battery that still had 75% capacity left when I swapped it out..AGM of course..
I know that now! It also seems to kill starter motors - mine died before it was 7 years old. :headbang:

I turned it off every time I drove it after that, but ended up selling it about a year later before the N47 diesel cam-chain disaster happened!
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

Nanu
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Nanu » Fri Jun 05, 2020 8:44 am

Here lies the problem with stop start. My 35is doesn’t have stop start so do I need that type of battery which is more expensive?

The current battery fitted from new is a Varta 70ah but different suppliers when you input the vehicle details say 70ah is the one others say 80ah or even 90.

Some say stop start some say not necessary

Confused to say the least when all I want is the best for the job at the most reasonable price

Previous
E89 35is Valencia Orange
E89 28i Crimson
E89 25i White

Pbondar

Post by Pbondar » Fri Jun 05, 2020 9:04 am

Nanu wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 8:44 am Here lies the problem with stop start. My 35is doesn’t have stop start so do I need that type of battery which is more expensive?

The current battery fitted from new is a Varta 70ah but different suppliers when you input the vehicle details say 70ah is the one others say 80ah or even 90.

Some say stop start some say not necessary

Confused to say the least when all I want is the best for the job at the most reasonable price
80 ah is the recommended fitment with or without stop start for the 35 series...

70ah will work ok..just not the recommended version...

Chris5

Post by Chris5 » Fri Jun 05, 2020 6:17 pm

I’ve had the same problem as the car has stood a lot during the winter, it’s just general discharge of the battery, I put the battery charger on for half a day and problem solved!

Smartbear
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Smartbear » Fri Jun 05, 2020 6:39 pm

Chris5 wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 6:17 pm I’ve had the same problem as the car has stood a lot during the winter, it’s just general discharge of the battery, I put the battery charger on for half a day and problem solved!
That’s not always going to be ok, once a battery has gone below a certain level it’s permanently weakened even after charging :?
Rob

e85 3.0si sold

Nanu
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Nanu » Fri Jun 05, 2020 7:46 pm

After checking out You Tube found how to check the voltage on the battery and make sure the alternator is OK using the cars system.

The tests show the alternator is working fine but the battery showed 11.8v initially then after a 20 mile run (Blast down the motorway :evil: ) tested again and it was 12V. Switched the engine on and it began to charge at 14.5v but as soon as the engine was switched off it dropped like a stone to 12v then slowly to 11.8v again then remained there. Switched the radio on and within a minute the battery warning light appeared.

Think I can safely say the alternator is working but the battery is not holding any charge. Getting a local Indy to check it for certain on Monday but still have issues with what battery. He says 8oah or even 90ah not stop start. Phoned BMW UK and they checked their parts and said definately E39 Varta Plus 096 AGM 12V 70Ah which is the same as fitted from new but has stop start. :x :headbang:

Previous
E89 35is Valencia Orange
E89 28i Crimson
E89 25i White

Pbondar

Post by Pbondar » Fri Jun 05, 2020 8:17 pm

Nanu wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 7:46 pm After checking out You Tube found how to check the voltage on the battery and make sure the alternator is OK using the cars system.

The tests show the alternator is working fine but the battery showed 11.8v initially then after a 20 mile run (Blast down the motorway :evil: ) tested again and it was 12V. Switched the engine on and it began to charge at 14.5v but as soon as the engine was switched off it dropped like a stone to 12v then slowly to 11.8v again then remained there. Switched the radio on and within a minute the battery warning light appeared.

Think I can safely say the alternator is working but the battery is not holding any charge. Getting a local Indy to check it for certain on Monday but still have issues with what battery. He says 8oah or even 90ah not stop start. Phoned BMW UK and they checked their parts and said definately E39 Varta Plus 096 AGM 12V 70Ah which is the same as fitted from new but has stop start. :x :headbang:
Well why don't you simply read the coding on the currrent battery and replace like for like?

Vonlipvig

Post by Vonlipvig » Fri Jun 05, 2020 8:36 pm

Well, I'm glad this is here. About 3 weeks ago while sat in the car waiting for the Mrs with the engine off, had the battery discharge warning. Never seen it again until I unlocked the car earlier and heard the 'Bong', parking brake failure. Stupidly, I started the car, took the brake off, won't reengage. Luckily the road is flat but it's now left in gear with a couple of bricks either side of the rear wheel. Popping into the garage first thing tomorrow and hoping they aren't solid with people now booking in :(
2009 Sapphire Black 23i

Smartbear
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Smartbear » Fri Jun 05, 2020 9:08 pm

Vonlipvig wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 8:36 pm Well, I'm glad this is here. About 3 weeks ago while sat in the car waiting for the Mrs with the engine off, had the battery discharge warning. Never seen it again until I unlocked the car earlier and heard the 'Bong', parking brake failure. Stupidly, I started the car, took the brake off, won't reengage. Luckily the road is flat but it's now left in gear with a couple of bricks either side of the rear wheel. Popping into the garage first thing tomorrow and hoping they aren't solid with people now booking in :(
Sounds like you need the updated software uploaded to the car :(
Rob

e85 3.0si sold