Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

manual gearbox transmission leak sweat

tintoverano

Post by tintoverano » Sat May 23, 2020 8:29 am

gave yesterday oil treatment to the gearbox and saw that it developed light leak(s)

last week a totally remembered wrong, where I saw leak stains and thought it was further to the front caused by coolant, when I put the new diff with LSD in place (and thought that I had to remove the exhaust to make it work) :D

so, it can be either of these two below, as the leak appears at the rear of the transmission:

the latter one is a big DIY, might be too big b/c of the tool required, so I hope it is the first one

right now waiting a couple of days for the leak to (re)appear

did anybody have to address such leaks?

thanks
mSport 23i
Coding Help, Stubby, Remap, K&N filter, Cruise Ctrl, Reverse cam, Instrument Cluster Color, UR front brace, CDV delete, Android on CIC, Roof Module, LSD

mcbutler

Post by mcbutler » Sun May 24, 2020 9:21 am

Take it to your local indy for a price before you attempt this, dropping the back of a manual RWD box is simple and quick on a ramp. You might find they can do both for a lot less than you think....
Mark
Plymouth
E89
35i
Carmine Red
Black leather

tintoverano

Post by tintoverano » Sun May 24, 2020 10:03 am

but then, where's the fun?
mSport 23i
Coding Help, Stubby, Remap, K&N filter, Cruise Ctrl, Reverse cam, Instrument Cluster Color, UR front brace, CDV delete, Android on CIC, Roof Module, LSD

tintoverano

Post by tintoverano » Fri Jun 26, 2020 11:08 am

developments update now

I thought a I gave a chance to those sealers out there, before replacing any of the seals

the radial shaft seal change is kinda big job, though probably first I only would have done the gearshift shaft seal - it seemed to be the one causing the leakage mostly

since I used Xado oil (in the differential as well for LSD), my choice of product was their transmission sealer

followed the instruction for application and waited about 500 km for the sealant to make its work, then cleaned the gearbox house around the seals - there was some oil, but significantly much less, the cover didn't even get any drops

I'm happy to say that the sealant worked perfectly, no oil sweat now around those two seals at all :rofl:
mSport 23i