Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Roof problem

stijohnny

Roof problem

Post by stijohnny » Sat Mar 21, 2020 8:35 pm

Smelf36 wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 5:32 pm Hmm, once all this bloody Covid crap is out of the way I will get it looked at properly at a local Indy, gonna be expensive enough without main stealer prices! I should imagine? I mean it’s not like the suns out or anything........oh, bugger😂 hey ho
Ask your garage to drop test the battery. If it is original/old it may appear ok on starting but the roof motor takes something like 40amps to function correctly. A drop test will tell you if the battery has got enough umph left in it. They should do this test for free.

kinger

Roof problem

Post by kinger » Sun Mar 22, 2020 11:47 am

If you want a full diagnostic on your roof i can highly recommend Cayman Auto Services in Redhill
They charge about £90 for a full diagnostic check, if you ask them to do the job they refund 50% of that cost.
Your problem sounds exactly the same as the one i had, including parts and labour my roof was corrected for roughly £500.
All they do there is Convertible roof repair, its not cheap but its a lot cheaper than a main dealer and it will be covered by a 12month warrantee.
in not connected in any way to the business other than a very happy customer
Cheers
Mike

Current - E89 35is Saphire Black
Previous- E89 35i Space Grey

Smelf36

Roof problem

Post by Smelf36 » Tue Apr 21, 2020 7:33 am

kinger wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 11:47 am If you want a full diagnostic on your roof i can highly recommend Cayman Auto Services in Redhill
They charge about £90 for a full diagnostic check, if you ask them to do the job they refund 50% of that cost.
Your problem sounds exactly the same as the one i had, including parts and labour my roof was corrected for roughly £500.
All they do there is Convertible roof repair, its not cheap but its a lot cheaper than a main dealer and it will be covered by a 12month warrantee.
in not connected in any way to the business other than a very happy
Cheers
Mike
Nice, thanks. I’ll bare them in mind. Gonna replace the battery 1st as having checked again it’s still dropping to 12.2v even after a full charge. So either way sounds like it’s on it’s way out. If I still have problems, I’ll get it checked 👍🏻
Then 2008 E85 2.0i Sport roadster.
Now 2012 E89 2.0i M Sport
Live every day like it's your last, cos one-day you'll be right 😉

Smelf36

Roof problem

Post by Smelf36 » Wed May 27, 2020 10:50 am

kinger wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 11:47 am If you want a full diagnostic on your roof i can highly recommend Cayman Auto Services in Redhill
in not connected in any way to the business other than a very happy customer
Cheers
Mike
Can I ask what They found and what you had done for £500?

bowser134

Roof problem

Post by bowser134 » Wed May 27, 2020 7:12 pm

Smelf36 wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 9:15 pm Hi All. My roof has randomly decided to play up. 2 days ago opened and closed without issue, today - starts to open, roof fault light pings up and roof stutters and pauses, light goes out, roof continues and repeat, the worst point being the final closing of the boot lid, which start stops and takes an age to finish closing and it’s the same on closing. Taking finger off the button seems to help when it stops, but not much and not always! It will open and close but is very slow and start stop! Any ideas??
When we’ve had stuttering motion, especially on the bootlid closing it’s always been the rear microswitches in the boot that have been faulty. A diagnostic check on our BMW ISTA has also shown up what the fault is. We’ve repaired quite a few of these now and had every fault going, low battery voltage, roof relays, roof motor in water, boot microswitches, roof shell hall sensor and microswitch wiring broken.

Smelf36

Roof problem

Post by Smelf36 » Thu May 28, 2020 9:10 am

bowser134 wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 7:12 pm
Smelf36 wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 9:15 pm Hi All. My roof has randomly decided to play up. 2 days ago opened and closed without issue, today - starts to open, roof fault light pings up and roof stutters and pauses, light goes out, roof continues and repeat, the worst point being the final closing of the boot lid, which start stops and takes an age to finish closing and it’s the same on closing. Taking finger off the button seems to help when it stops, but not much and not always! It will open and close but is very slow and start stop! Any

When we’ve had stuttering motion, especially on the bootlid closing it’s always been the rear microswitches in the boot that have been faulty. A diagnostic check on our BMW ISTA has also shown up what the fault is. We’ve repaired quite a few of these now and had every fault going, low battery voltage, roof relays, roof motor in water, boot microswitches, roof shell hall sensor and microswitch wiring broken.
That’s encouraging, think I shoulda bought a boxster😂😂😂

Smartbear
Lifer
Lifer

Roof problem

Post by Smartbear » Thu May 28, 2020 1:06 pm

Smelf36 wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 9:10 am
Smelf36 wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 9:15 pm Hi All. My roof has randomly decided to play up. 2 days ago opened and closed without issue, today - starts to open, roof fault light pings up and roof stutters and pauses, light goes out, roof continues and repeat, the worst point being the final closing of the boot lid, which start stops and takes an age to finish closing and it’s the same on closing. Taking finger off the button seems to help when it stops, but not much and not always! It will open and close but is very slow and start stop! Any

Boxster roofs have sensors/switches that can go wrong as well.
Rob

e89 Sdrive 20i, plenty of mumbo & good economy-the thinking bears z4
e89 Sdrive 30i, this ones busted, pass me another...
e85 3.0si sold

Smelf36

Roof problem

Post by Smelf36 » Fri May 29, 2020 8:04 am

Smartbear wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 1:06 pm
Smelf36 wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 9:10 am
Boxster roofs have sensors/switches that can go wrong as well.
Rob
Yeah I know, And they’re not as purdy 😁 It was a toss up between the two, the soft top and the porkers intermediate shaft bearing going pop steered me to the Z, £500 for a dodgy roof or £10000 for a new Porsche engine.......🤔😉

belljul

Roof problem

Post by belljul » Sun Apr 11, 2021 9:21 pm

I had similar roof problems.
Here's my fixes.
Replaced Rubber seals in the 2 brass valves on top of the pump in the boot. They werent sitting in the right groove on the valves. Stopped them spraying fluid into the boot well and losing pressure.

Next fix...bit weird. I read this somewhere. I had skidded off a country track once and scuffed the underneath of the nearside front.
My temperature sensor was knackered and the Aircon was getting thrown out. I replaced it, £15 max on eBay. It's behind the bumper on the front left of the car.

Next one, and this may have done the trick, was to replace one of the parking sensor which was faulty. £12 on eBay.

Take off front bumper for both jobs. Simple unplug old, plug in new, bumper back on. Took me less than an hour.

Problem solved
So happy!

Try these 3 simple fixes in case they work for you....

SV8Predator

Roof problem

Post by SV8Predator » Sun Apr 11, 2021 9:35 pm

belljul wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 9:21 pm I had similar roof problems.
Here's my fixes.
Replaced Rubber seals in the 2 brass valves on top of the pump in the boot. They werent sitting in the right groove on the valves. Stopped them spraying fluid into the boot well and losing pressure.

Next fix...bit weird. I read this somewhere. I had skidded off a country track once and scuffed the underneath of the nearside front.
My temperature sensor was knackered and the Aircon was getting thrown out. I replaced it, £15 max on eBay. It's behind the bumper on the front left of the car.

Next one, and this may have done the trick, was to replace one of the parking sensor which was faulty. £12 on eBay.

Take off front bumper for both jobs. Simple unplug old, plug in new, bumper back on. Took me less than an hour.

Problem solved
So happy!

Try these 3 simple fixes in case they work for you....

So the ambient temperature sensor was faulty and replacing this fixed the roof problems?

A parking sensor was faulty and replacing this fixed the roof problems?

Is that correct?
2012 Z4 2.0 M-Sport Atacama Yellow
2000 Z3 3.0
2016 Vauxhall GTC Sunny Melon Yellow
2000 Jaguar X308 Sovereign 4.0
1969 Jensen Interceptor 6.3 litre

Pbondar

Roof problem

Post by Pbondar » Sun Apr 11, 2021 10:23 pm

The roof system does take an input from the temperature sensor...it does not take any inputs from parking sensors...

flybobbie
Lifer
Lifer

Roof problem

Post by flybobbie » Sun Apr 11, 2021 10:53 pm

Pbondar wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 10:23 pm The roof system does take an input from the temperature sensor...it does not take any inputs from parking sensors...
(We had mag. switch replaced, now the strobes work...go figure).

jamesgarbett

Roof problem

Post by jamesgarbett » Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:43 am

I had the stuttering roof problem (intermittently) - indy read the codes which said faulty hall sensor - BMW replaced it and is all is well since then (touch wood)
Z4 ‘13 20i Mineral Grey
Z4 '07 2.5Si Montego Blue