Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

E89 - Engine Squeak

LordLolzeye

E89 - Engine Squeak

Post by LordLolzeye » Fri Jan 17, 2020 5:34 pm

Hello,

Has anyone experienced the following symptoms:

I just changed the spark plugs and after this happened:
When starting the car a weird squeak comes from behind (I think) the engine (N52B30). Also, when idling the car, the squeak is less pronounced (every now and then, it's not a permanent squeak). It probably has nothing to do with the spark plugs, since the engine runs completly fine.

I taught it to be a bad starter motor that does not retract, but i'm probably wrong, since that should produce a permanent noise.

Any ideeas?

Smartbear
Lifer
Lifer

E89 - Engine Squeak

Post by Smartbear » Fri Jan 17, 2020 6:02 pm

LordLolzeye wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 5:34 pm Hello,

Has anyone experienced the following symptoms:

I just changed the spark plugs and after this happened:
When starting the car a weird squeak comes from behind (I think) the engine (N52B30). Also, when idling the car, the squeak is less pronounced (every now and then, it's not a permanent squeak). It probably has nothing to do with the spark plugs, since the engine runs completly fine.

I taught it to be a bad starter motor that does not retract, but i'm probably wrong, since that should produce a permanent noise.

Any ideeas?
Can you be more specific, does the squeak appear on start up & last for a few seconds before going away? Or does the noise appear at random times after the engine has been started? :?
Rob

e89 Sdrive 20i, plenty of mumbo & good economy-the thinking bears z4
e89 Sdrive 30i, this ones busted, pass me another...
e85 3.0si sold

LordLolzeye

E89 - Engine Squeak

Post by LordLolzeye » Fri Jan 17, 2020 6:17 pm

I believe I got to the bottom of it.

It actually came from the front of the engine, it's the serpentine belt. The noise lasted for 3-4 seconds after you would have started the engine, then it would have randomly appeared out of nowhere for around 1-2 seconds

I added a little bit of water on the serpentine belt (while engine was running) and it went away for some time, guess I'll replace the serpentine belt and update you guys after I've changed it.

Z4Sparky

E89 - Engine Squeak

Post by Z4Sparky » Fri Jan 17, 2020 7:31 pm

LordLolzeye wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 6:17 pm I believe I got to the bottom of it.

It actually came from the front of the engine, it's the serpentine belt. The noise lasted for 3-4 seconds after you would have started the engine, then it would have randomly appeared out of nowhere for around 1-2 seconds

I added a little bit of water on the serpentine belt (while engine was running) and it went away for some time, guess I'll replace the serpentine belt and update you guys after I've changed it.
Could be that the tensioner needs to be replaced at the same time....
2010 E89 sDrive 2.3i Alpine White

LordLolzeye

E89 - Engine Squeak

Post by LordLolzeye » Fri Jan 17, 2020 7:51 pm

Z4Sparky wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 7:31 pm
LordLolzeye wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 6:17 pm I believe I got to the bottom of it.

Could be that the tensioner needs to be replaced at the same time....
Thanks, already tought of that!

Ordered a febi tensioner (OEM is INA) + and contitech serpentine belt (same as OEM). totals out at ~ 65 USD / 50 GBP

LordLolzeye

E89 - Engine Squeak

Post by LordLolzeye » Wed Jan 22, 2020 7:05 pm

Replaced tensioner & belt, sounds perfectly fine now. One thing I didn't understand is why that happened, tensioner looked really well and the belt I removed was new.

LordLolzeye

E89 - Engine Squeak

Post by LordLolzeye » Fri Jan 24, 2020 1:56 pm

LordLolzeye wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 7:05 pm Replaced tensioner & belt, sounds perfectly fine now. One thing I didn't understand is why that happened, tensioner looked really well and the belt I removed was new.
Still not fixed actually, just realised the sound is coming only if the engine is warm, sound is probably coming from the back of the engine, i've attached a video below (maybe somebody can recognize the issue)

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B577_J ... sp=sharing

This started after i've changed the spark plugs (the ones that I took out were worn out and I've replaced them with spark plugs from the same brand - got them from autodoc)

Anybody got any ideeas on this?

+ edit: I've just removed the new plugs and installed the old ones back in, noise is still there.

Smartbear
Lifer
Lifer

E89 - Engine Squeak

Post by Smartbear » Fri Jan 24, 2020 3:43 pm

LordLolzeye wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 1:56 pm
LordLolzeye wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 7:05 pm Replaced tensioner & belt, sounds perfectly fine now. One thing I didn't understand is why that happened, tensioner looked really well and the belt I removed was new.
Still not fixed actually, just realised the sound is coming only if the engine is warm, sound is probably coming from the back of the engine, i've attached a video below (maybe somebody can recognize the issue)

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B577_J ... sp=sharing

This started after i've changed the spark plugs (the ones that I took out were worn out and I've replaced them with spark plugs from the same brand - got them from autodoc)

Anybody got any ideeas on this?

+ edit: I've just removed the new plugs and installed the old ones back in, noise is still there.
I’d have a good look to see if there’s any breather pipes etc that might have been displaced?
Rob

e85 3.0si sold

LordLolzeye

E89 - Engine Squeak

Post by LordLolzeye » Fri Jan 24, 2020 4:17 pm

Smartbear, you were right, I found the culprit, yet I do not know it's original position, if you guys know it, please let me know :D

I will also search the internet, maybe somebody documented this issue.

Smartbear
Lifer
Lifer

E89 - Engine Squeak

Post by Smartbear » Fri Jan 24, 2020 4:24 pm

The same fitting looks to be in your 2nd pic down, at 12 o’clock on the circular black object? :?
Rob

e85 3.0si sold

LordLolzeye

E89 - Engine Squeak

Post by LordLolzeye » Fri Jan 24, 2020 4:38 pm

Yep, it's, I believe, the PCV Valve, I will probably need to remove it and replace it with another one. It's not too hard, but takes some time and steady hands.

LordLolzeye

E89 - Engine Squeak

Post by LordLolzeye » Sun Feb 02, 2020 5:39 pm

+update: Replaced the PCV Valve, sound is still there.

Probably gonna go to the dealership and ask for a diagnosis there. I have no clue why it still does this sound. Went on a 40km trip with it to test it out, there was no sound. As soon as I got home and let it idle for 10 seconds, the sound started again. Apparently it's something idle-related (the revs are staying perfectly on 600 rpm's).

If anybody got any ideeas, i'm happy to check lol