Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Heated Rear Window - Issues

swagmeister

Post by swagmeister » Fri Dec 27, 2019 2:40 pm

So decided to get the rear window tinted. Used my usual man who has OCD with his work, hes done many of my cars.
Anyway, since having it done looks like the heated rear window isnt working at all. I used to marvel at how quickly the element lines would heat and clear the glass - now theres nothing.
The switch for the window remains lit, if there was a fault Id expect it to illuminate for a second then go out again- like most cars with issue.
I can only guess either a blown fuse or relay ? or a terminally damaged connection on the rear glass.

Any ideas ? Havent ventured out to check the fuse yet due to never ending torrential rain.

Smartbear
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Smartbear » Fri Dec 27, 2019 3:11 pm

Can’t you go back to your tint guy, it sounds like the 2 things are connected :?
Rob

e89 Sdrive 20i, plenty of mumbo & good economy-the thinking bears z4
e89 Sdrive 30i, this ones busted, pass me another...
e85 3.0si sold

Number5
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Number5 » Fri Dec 27, 2019 6:46 pm

The first thing to check would be whether or not there is any voltage getting to the spade connectors on each side of the window. These then run down to a snap connector plug next to the Roof Module, behind the passenger seat.

I'm also guessing, but maybe with the roof down and the rubber 'P' shaped covers removed from near the roof hinge, you should get a voltage reading from the metal two rings there, as these are the contact points for the heated rear window when fitting the hard tops ?

Basically where the yellow circle is below..
4969.jpg
4969.jpg (92.56 KiB) Viewed 590 times
Alpina Roadster #307
Porsche Boxster GTS
Previous Zs
Stratus E86
G29 30i
1x Imola Z4MR
Alpina #019
10x E85 Se/Si Roadsters
2x E89's
Roof Motor Relocations (Bristol)

flybobbie
Lifer
Lifer

Post by flybobbie » Fri Dec 27, 2019 7:02 pm

I would check the connection on the rear window. When i bought my car it was broken off. Not much material holding it on.

mcbutler

Post by mcbutler » Fri Dec 27, 2019 9:53 pm

I was under the impression that tinting over heating elements was a no no, seems it may cause overheating of the elements if you encase them in a layer of plastic.
The other thing to note is that any interior mist is now forming on top of the plastic layer not the glass. This means the demist action will be delayed/compromised by the insulating effect of the plastic.
At least those are my thoughts on the problem.....
Mark
Plymouth
E89
35i
Carmine Red
Black leather