Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

So, how did this happen, then?

Busterboo

Post by Busterboo » Mon Oct 21, 2019 12:31 am

Go to car, sense something wrong. Press fob. Heavier-than-normal pressure on handle 'trigger' and window doesn't drop the usual 2cm on opening door. Try to close door, can't. Try again, harder. Closes, but with little movement between latching and actual shutting. Then realise window top is outside roof.

Remember watching Turkish traffic policeman opening locked BMW to tow away. Big screwdriver between window and roof. Has someone tried this on mine? Think … go to passenger door. Ditto, window shut but outside roof. (But no fingerprints/smudges on either window or marks on doors.)

Get into car, shut door, try to operate front windows. Nothing. Rears fine. Try roof. Nothing. Search for faults on on-board computer. 'No Faults.' Manually check radio, CD, lights et cetera. No problems. Get out, shut door and realise can re-insert closed window under roof with firm thumbs. Do both, all looks fine, but … driver's window goes 'out' when I open door again. Decide to drive to gun club to ask someone to thumb windows closed with me inside to see if they'll work then … and to shoot.

Arrive, re-thumb driver's window shut, lock car with fob and walk to Reception. Oscillator on DTL clay trap broken. No shooting. Double bo//ocks. Go back to car. Press fob to open. Handle fine. Windows do usual initial drop. Get in, windows rise normally into correct position. Try to open & close fronts, no problem. Try roof, no problem. Drive home, try all again, no problems. Tried again just now. Fine.

So, how did this happen, then ? What caused it?

(I think I know and the answer's not electrical. A clue is that I have a very strong neighbour I collected from A&E yesterday.)
Vidi, vici, veni

Cees Klumper

Post by Cees Klumper » Mon Oct 21, 2019 3:41 am

Well, maybe not related, but when I reconnect battery on our 2008 Volvo C70 after disconnect, it takes a few 'cycles' before the windows will do their normal 'drop' on opening the doors. Similar when the battery was starting to go. So electrical disturbances on that car cause what you experienced. Battery all good?
2011 sDrive 35i Alpine White
100,000 miles 3rd owner
Other BMW is a 2016 C650 Sport scooter-beast

clarker63

Post by clarker63 » Mon Oct 21, 2019 8:07 am

Busterboo wrote: Mon Oct 21, 2019 12:31 am
(I think I know and the answer's not electrical. A clue is that I have a very strong neighbour I collected from A&E yesterday.)
The only time I've had this was when the windows were frozen, they didn't drop and I pulled the door open (it was hard to do). When I closed the door the window was outside the frame. Fortunately when it defrosted everything was ok.

Strange that both windows did that though, and I can't see how your neighbour could affect your drivers side...
Last edited by clarker63 on Mon Oct 21, 2019 10:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
35is, sadly gone, but not forgotten.

Pbondar

Post by Pbondar » Mon Oct 21, 2019 9:33 am

Had this issue on disconnecting battery for intended swap..then when power re applied had that issue..engine start and then normal shutdown all ok

Could be the battery on its way out or corroded / intermittent connection on terminals..or IBIS faulty/thinking battery flat..

helmik

Post by helmik » Mon Oct 21, 2019 10:40 am

Strong neighbour slammed the door maybe?? Something to do with air pressure.
Mick

flybobbie
Lifer
Lifer

Post by flybobbie » Mon Oct 21, 2019 11:40 am

Couple of weeks ago got the glass over the door frame, the seat belt got jammed in the door.
The door closed but was a fraction open so the glass missed the seal.

Busterboo

Post by Busterboo » Mon Oct 21, 2019 2:13 pm

helmik wrote: Mon Oct 21, 2019 10:40 am Strong neighbour slammed the door maybe?? Something to do with air pressure.
Mick
Bingo! Or, at least, this is what I suspect.

He slammed the door harder than I've ever heard a door slammed before and I think the air pressure forced both windows out of their seals.

They're fine now and both doors open & close normally. Next time I give him a lift, I'll play the chauffeur.
Vidi, vici, veni

Smartbear
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Smartbear » Mon Oct 21, 2019 2:27 pm

Busterboo wrote: Mon Oct 21, 2019 2:13 pm
helmik wrote: Mon Oct 21, 2019 10:40 am Strong neighbour slammed the door maybe?? Something to do with air pressure.
Mick
Bingo! Or, at least, this is what I suspect.

He slammed the door harder than I've ever heard a door slammed before and I think the air pressure forced both windows out of their seals.

They're fine now and both doors open & close normally. Next time I give him a lift, I'll play the chauffeur.
But there shouldn’t be any meaningful air pressure Buster, don’t forget the windows stay down a touch until the doors closed, allowing any residual pressure to escape before it can blow your eardrums/windscreen etc out. :P
Rob

e89 Sdrive 20i, plenty of mumbo & good economy-the thinking bears z4
e89 Sdrive 30i, this ones busted, pass me another...
e85 3.0si sold

Busterboo

Post by Busterboo » Mon Oct 21, 2019 4:23 pm

Smartbear wrote: Mon Oct 21, 2019 2:27 pm But there shouldn’t be any meaningful air pressure Buster, don’t forget the windows stay down a touch until the doors closed, allowing any residual pressure to escape before it can blow your eardrums/windscreen etc out. :P
Rob
I understand the system, Rob, but I think the force he applied may have defeated it.

That apart, the engine was running when he slammed the door and was driven for another 15 minutes before I put the car in the garage. So, if there was a low battery problem, it happened after that and meant that both windows dropped and then rose outside the top seals in the garage. In these circumstances, I can understand them dropping if there were a low battery, but not dropping and rising, not least because the latter needs quite a lot of energy.

What do you think?
Vidi, vici, veni

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enuff_zed » Mon Oct 21, 2019 4:45 pm

Busterboo wrote: Mon Oct 21, 2019 4:23 pm
Smartbear wrote: Mon Oct 21, 2019 2:27 pm But there shouldn’t be any meaningful air pressure Buster, don’t forget the windows stay down a touch until the doors closed, allowing any residual pressure to escape before it can blow your eardrums/windscreen etc out. :P
Rob
I understand the system, Rob, but I think the force he applied may have defeated it.

That apart, the engine was running when he slammed the door and was driven for another 15 minutes before I put the car in the garage. So, if there was a low battery problem, it happened after that and meant that both windows dropped and then rose outside the top seals in the garage. In these circumstances, I can understand them dropping if there were a low battery, but not dropping and rising, not least because the latter needs quite a lot of energy.

What do you think?
Hmm, I think Rob's point is that the windows drop when you first open the door and do not rise again until the door is shut. They don't go up again once the door is open. I know this as it continually frustrates me, trying to clean and dry the bottom half inch of glass!
Therefore, unless your friend opened the door, exited and shut it all again within about half a second, there should have been a gap?
Were you in the car at the time, with your door shut?
Even if he had generated enough pressure, it would then have had to force your driver's door window out from it's seated position.

Would love to be proved wrong, but I feel your supposition may be masking a different issue................. which you'll never know unless it happens again.
HQ of 'Norfolk Zed Rescue'.
Always happy to help if I can.

If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enuff_zed » Mon Oct 21, 2019 4:46 pm

So, in short, although it's a bit of a 'pane', you'll need to wait for another window of opportunity. :D

If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

Silverstar

Post by Silverstar » Mon Oct 21, 2019 5:47 pm

enuff_zed wrote: Mon Oct 21, 2019 4:45 pm
Busterboo wrote: Mon Oct 21, 2019 4:23 pm
Rob

What do you think?
Hmm, I think Rob's point is that the windows drop when you first open the door and do not rise again until the door is shut. They don't go up again once the door is open. I know this as it continually frustrates me, trying to clean and dry the bottom half inch of glass!
Therefore, unless your friend opened the door, exited and shut it all again within about half a second, there should have been a gap?
Were you in the car at the time, with your door shut?
Even if he had generated enough pressure, it would then have had to force your driver's door window out from it's seated position.

Would love to be proved wrong, but I feel your supposition may be masking a different issue................. which you'll never know unless it happens again.
Slightly off topic, regarding cleaning the windows and the glass dropping half an inch. I saw in a video by White Details that you can actuate the lock manually to fool the car into thinking the door is shut and hence the windows will rise all the way to the top allowing you to clean that bottom half an inch. Basically using a screwdriver you manually actuate the lock with the door open and once you finish cleaning just pull on the door handle and the lock will release. Not sure if I explained that well!
2009 sdrive30i auto Sapphire Black / Coral Red

firebobby
Lifer
Lifer

Post by firebobby » Mon Oct 21, 2019 6:12 pm

Your neighbour sounds like a right one, I wouldn't let him near my car if he slams the door that hard. Tell him to bloody walk
BMW Z4 30i 2003 auto 107's Whippy Toledo Blue
Beige M sport seats, wood dash
Toyota MR2 NA 1995
Triumph GT6 1972 (project)
Land Rover Discovery 1994 TDI (Tow car)
Mini 1000 1981

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enuff_zed » Mon Oct 21, 2019 6:35 pm

Silverstar wrote: Mon Oct 21, 2019 5:47 pm Slightly off topic, regarding cleaning the windows and the glass dropping half an inch. I saw in a video by White Details that you can actuate the lock manually to fool the car into thinking the door is shut and hence the windows will rise all the way to the top allowing you to clean that bottom half an inch. Basically using a screwdriver you manually actuate the lock with the door open and once you finish cleaning just pull on the door handle and the lock will release. Not sure if I explained that well!
That's worth a try. Cheers. :thumbsup:

Busterboo

Post by Busterboo » Mon Oct 21, 2019 10:00 pm

Thanks all.

If it happens again, I'll get a new battery.
Vidi, vici, veni