Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Parking Sensors Acting Up

Silverstar

Post by Silverstar » Fri Oct 18, 2019 8:56 am

A couple of days ago my front parking sensors started acting up. The problem is intermittent but it occurs more often than not. As soon as I put the car in reverse the front sensors are constantly beeping and I see the following pictogram. From that image am I right in thinking the problem sensor is the one that is second from the left (second from the nearside)? Or do I need to put it on a scanner to be sure? Also can the sensor be accessed without dismantling the bumper? Since it is intermittent and I had the front bumper repaired and painted two or three weeks ago I wonder if there is a loose connection caused by the paint shop. Thanks in advance for any help.
Attachments
%PAYpW6jQL+7AriTn0HmOw.jpg
%PAYpW6jQL+7AriTn0HmOw.jpg (211.9 KiB) Viewed 2297 times
2009 sdrive30i auto Sapphire Black / Coral Red

Chippie

Post by Chippie » Fri Oct 18, 2019 9:45 am

If it only started after you had the bumper painted then I would bet it’s a bad connection, take it back and let them have a look at it
E89 35is space grey Kansas coral red leather

flybobbie
Lifer
Lifer

Post by flybobbie » Fri Oct 18, 2019 8:27 pm

A friends cars sensor kept going off, when we had a look there was a squashed fly on it.

warmasice

Post by warmasice » Fri Oct 18, 2019 8:38 pm

Check to see if they painted over the sensor too. A BMW tech told me that too much paint can cause this issue.

Silverstar

Post by Silverstar » Fri Oct 18, 2019 8:56 pm

Nope no squashed bugs or other dirt on them and the paint shop didn't paint them. They have been working fine for about a couple of weeks since I picked the car up from the paint shop only in the last two days this has been happening.

I will go back to the paint shop next week to double the connection, however does anyone know if according to the image it is telling me its the second sensor from the left that is playing up?

warmasice

Post by warmasice » Fri Oct 18, 2019 8:59 pm

Yeps, looks like the second one from the left.

ronk
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ronk » Fri Oct 18, 2019 9:07 pm

Ive had the squashed bug in the sensor - also over zealous use of the pressure washer can cause a problem!
You don't stop playing when you get old - You get old when you stop playing!
So I bought a 35is with all the toys to play with. :thumbsup:

Silverstar

Post by Silverstar » Fri Oct 18, 2019 11:35 pm

ronk wrote: Fri Oct 18, 2019 9:07 pm Ive had the squashed bug in the sensor - also over zealous use of the pressure washer can cause a problem!
I have heard about this and try to keep the pressure washer away from the sensors as much as possible, still perhaps this may have caused it. Saw a video on youtube some chap sprayed the sensors with WD40 and in his car it did the trick. The idea being WD40 dries out any moisture, I tried that yesterday but today it's still playing up.

If as a last resort I have to change the sensor, which should I get OE from BMW or can someone recommend a good aftermarket unit?

flybobbie
Lifer
Lifer

Post by flybobbie » Sun Oct 20, 2019 7:30 am

Doesn't solve your problem but i bought this to play with:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Car-Rear-Rev ... 0005.m1851
Cheap but seems to work well. I wondered if one of the sensors from this might work on your car as a replacement.

ronk
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ronk » Sun Oct 20, 2019 9:45 am

Silverstar wrote: Fri Oct 18, 2019 11:35 pm
ronk wrote: Fri Oct 18, 2019 9:07 pm Ive had the squashed bug in the sensor - also over zealous use of the pressure washer can cause a problem!
I have heard about this and try to keep the pressure washer away from the sensors as much as possible, still perhaps this may have caused it. Saw a video on youtube some chap sprayed the sensors with WD40 and in his car it did the trick. The idea being WD40 dries out any moisture, I tried that yesterday but today it's still playing up.

If as a last resort I have to change the sensor, which should I get OE from BMW or can someone recommend a good aftermarket unit?

I used a blast of air from my compressor!
You don't stop playing when you get old - You get old when you stop playing!
So I bought a 35is with all the toys to play with. :thumbsup:

Silverstar

Post by Silverstar » Sun Oct 20, 2019 12:41 pm

Oddly yesterday and today they have been working perfectly fine again. I wonder if the WD40 took a bit of time to work. Will see how they are this week, if the problem returns I will ask the paint shop to check the connection.