Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Rocker Cover Gasket

Dru2000D

Rocker Cover Gasket

Post by Dru2000D » Fri Sep 27, 2019 8:56 pm

Hey peeps,

After solving most of the niggly little issues on my "bargain" of a Zed I noticed a burning smell in the cabin with white smoke leaking from the top of the bonnet either side.

I have through the powers of searching found the likely culprit is a leaky cam cover gasket dripping oil on the manifold. Looks fairly easy to sort BUT have been searching for the gaskets and they vary so much in price. Eurocarparts have one for £60, PAYEN branded on buycarparts.co.uk is like £25.

Question is, are they all pretty much the same? The cheapest on buycarparts is £16 so avoiding that like the plague. What have other people bought and any links to help if possible please?

Don't want to scrimp, but at the same time, don't want to pay through the nose etc.

Thanks in advance

mcbutler

Rocker Cover Gasket

Post by mcbutler » Sat Sep 28, 2019 10:04 pm

Buy from BMW, chinese imports from motor factors are generally not a good choice.
Mark
Plymouth
E89
35i
Carmine Red
Black leather

Pbondar

Rocker Cover Gasket

Post by Pbondar » Sun Sep 29, 2019 10:13 am

Have you ascertained that’s it’s the gasket, there are reports that that as the cars age cam box cover cracking is taking place?

ProfCJJ

Rocker Cover Gasket

Post by ProfCJJ » Sun Sep 29, 2019 10:27 am

In my case, when I experienced the same symptoms it turned out to be the valvetronic gasket. Changed it and after a few 1,000 miles still no leaks.

I bought OEM from a BMW supplier on eBay.

Best
---
Christopher

Z4 E89 sDrive 30i Msport in Alpine White with Kansas red leather interior and brushed aluminium carbon fibre look.

Dru2000D

Rocker Cover Gasket

Post by Dru2000D » Mon Sep 30, 2019 12:50 am

I'll have to warm the car up and pop the bonnet to make sure. It only happens after driving for a while and the engine is heated up, then come to a stop. Almost as if oil dripping on the manifold then burning off.

How much did the valvetronic gasket cost in the end?

ProfCJJ

Rocker Cover Gasket

Post by ProfCJJ » Mon Sep 30, 2019 2:35 pm

Dru2000D wrote: Mon Sep 30, 2019 12:50 am I'll have to warm the car up and pop the bonnet to make sure. It only happens after driving for a while and the engine is heated up, then come to a stop. Almost as if oil dripping on the manifold then burning off.

How much did the valvetronic gasket cost in the end?
I believe I spent around £25.

I had the same symptoms as you - I dismantled all the stuff surrounding the motor and the motor itself and could see oil pooling underneath it until it was then "overflowing" and dripping on the manifold and burning off. I cleaned it all up and put the new gasket and so far, so good.

Thread here: viewtopic.php?f=45&t=115226
---
Christopher

Z4 E89 sDrive 30i Msport in Alpine White with Kansas red leather interior and brushed aluminium carbon fibre look.

flybobbie
Lifer
Lifer

Rocker Cover Gasket

Post by flybobbie » Sat Nov 09, 2019 5:54 pm

I changed the plugs on my car a few weeks ago and there was some oil on the number 4 plug.
I will just keep a eye on it for now.