Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Roof issues

Gjm91

Roof issues

Post by Gjm91 » Wed Sep 18, 2019 9:10 pm

Hi all - just wondering what peoples thoughts are on this recent roof problem -battery issue or something more serious - first noticed a couple of weeks ago - the roof would not fully open from the key fob - stopped with rear screen ontop of the roof - got inside and completed the operation using the switch in the car- each time i try from the fob the same thing happens - today the same thing happened when using the button on the inside with engine running -had to turn off and start up again for it to move - and complete the opening procedure. I left the car ticking over and tried a number of other times and the roof worked although it did seem to take longer than normal for the boot hatch to commence opening following the rear screen opening and resting on the roof.Reason why I ask whether its the battery is the wife and I have recently swopped cars- she is using the zed now and only does about 3 miles a day compared to what i was doing which was 30 miles a day . Wondered if the battery is on the way out and its not holding enough charge to operate the roof properly- Any one had any similar issues - the battery is the original so 7 years old- any advice appreciated cheers G
E89 2.0 i S Drive M Sport
TT MK1 Roadster
RR Evoque
Now gone E85 2.0 SE

Pbondar

Roof issues

Post by Pbondar » Wed Sep 18, 2019 9:21 pm

The roof has myriad of sensors and logic controls...so it’s impossible to be definitive ...but the profile of a 7 year old battery and a change in user profile lends credence to a low charge battery...

Easiest way to check is put the battery on charge over a whole weekend and try it on a Sunday afternoon on the fob n and on the button without the engine running..

On a freshly charged battery it should do a cycle or two...

With regenerative charging the battery is not automatically fully charged unlike earlier designs..

I’m about to change my 7 year old battery because I’ve noticed a few odd roof occurrences which I suspect are battery related....

Gjm91

Roof issues

Post by Gjm91 » Wed Sep 18, 2019 10:18 pm

Thanks pbondar for the advice - I'm hoping its the battery - unfortunately haven't got a battery charger so thinking about taking the zed for a long run over the weekend then trying the roof and keeping my fingers crossed- may bite the bullet anyway and change the battery as guess at 7 years old its probably past its best.
Cheers G
TT MK1 Roadster
RR Evoque
Now gone E85 2.0 SE

Smartbear
Lifer
Lifer

Roof issues

Post by Smartbear » Wed Sep 18, 2019 10:36 pm

Hi, I’d also consider getting your other half a bicycle as 3 miles a day isn’t good for the engine or the battery! :?
Rob

e89 Sdrive 20i, plenty of mumbo & good economy-the thinking bears z4
e89 Sdrive 30i, this ones busted, pass me another...
e85 3.0si sold

Cees Klumper

Roof issues

Post by Cees Klumper » Thu Sep 19, 2019 12:21 am

... plus cycling is better for a person's health than driving ...
2011 sDrive 35i Alpine White
100,000 miles 3rd owner
Other BMW is a 2016 C650 Sport scooter-beast

sammyz

Roof issues

Post by sammyz » Thu Sep 19, 2019 7:58 am

Greg, I'd Start by replacing the battery, seems a sensible first step.
I had similar issues with the roof a couple of years ago. I cleaned and lubricated all visible hinges and replaced the battery. Seemed ok for a while then the problems returned.
Eventually took the car to Mike at Zedshed, he spent three hours checking sensors, dismantling and reassembling. Two things were apparent, one of the switch connections had loosened, causing a possible intermittent fault and the roof itself wasn't sitting perfectly flat when sat in the boot.( tiny difference in height!)
Mike reattached the loose sensor but the roof still wouldn't operate correctly. He then repositioned the roof several times before being happy it was perfectly level.
Since then the roof has worked fine.
I think the issue of the roof getting out of line over time is often overlooked, the roof is heavy and opening on an incline would push the weight to one side or the other.
Yas Marina Blue 35i.

Gjm91

Roof issues

Post by Gjm91 » Thu Sep 19, 2019 8:22 am

sammyz wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 7:58 am Greg, I'd Start by replacing the battery, seems a sensible first step.
I had similar issues with the roof a couple of years ago. I cleaned and lubricated all visible hinges and replaced the battery. Seemed ok for a while then the problems returned.
Eventually took the car to Mike at *******, he spent three hours checking sensors, dismantling and reassembling. Two things were apparent, one of the switch connections had loosened, causing a possible intermittent fault and the roof itself wasn't sitting perfectly flat when sat in the boot.( tiny difference in height!)
Mike reattached the loose sensor but the roof still wouldn't operate correctly. He then repositioned the roof several times before being happy it was perfectly level.
Since then the roof has worked fine.
I think the issue of the roof getting out of line over time is often overlooked, the roof is heavy and opening on an incline would push the weight to one side or the other.
Cheers sammyz -I remember you saying you had roof issues when we bumped into each other outside my house a couple of months ago- will try the battery first and hope that sorts it cheers G
TT MK1 Roadster
RR Evoque
Now gone E85 2.0 SE

Gjm91

Roof issues

Post by Gjm91 » Thu Sep 19, 2019 8:28 am

Smartbear wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2019 10:36 pm Hi, I’d also consider getting your other half a bicycle as 3 miles a day isn’t good for the engine or the battery! :?
Rob
Haha - got a shed full of bikes 🚲- not sure I’m brave enough to tell her she has to use the bike for work though- might start dropping hints or perhaps a new helmet for her birthday
TT MK1 Roadster
RR Evoque
Now gone E85 2.0 SE

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Roof issues

Post by enuff_zed » Thu Sep 19, 2019 9:18 am

Gjm91 wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 8:28 am
Smartbear wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2019 10:36 pm Hi, I’d also consider getting your other half a bicycle as 3 miles a day isn’t good for the engine or the battery! :?
Rob
Haha - got a shed full of bikes 🚲- not sure I’m brave enough to tell her she has to use the bike for work though- might start dropping hints or perhaps a new helmet for her birthday
Not sure how it equates to modern batteries, but I was always told it takes around 7 miles driving to put back the charge used to start the car.
Let her use the car maybe, but charge her a pound a time.
That way you'll build up enough funds to replace the battery she's slowly killing. :wink:
HQ of 'Norfolk Zed Rescue'.
Always happy to help if I can.

If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

Gjm91

Roof issues

Post by Gjm91 » Thu Sep 19, 2019 2:46 pm

enuff_zed wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 9:18 am
Gjm91 wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 8:28 am
Rob
Not sure how it equates to modern batteries, but I was always told it takes around 7 miles driving to put back the charge used to start the car.
Let her use the car maybe, but charge her a pound a time.
That way you'll build up enough funds to replace the battery she's slowly killing. :wink:
Might just do that or make her pay for the new battery-😆 in her defence she has had a chance of circumstance which means she is doing a awful lot less miles than she did also hence why I am using her car as hers dislikes short journeys more than mine -( oil burner 🚜) ..
TT MK1 Roadster
RR Evoque
Now gone E85 2.0 SE

Gjm91

Roof issues

Post by Gjm91 » Thu Sep 19, 2019 2:55 pm

Quick update - went for a long drive Over lunch in the zed and roof worked both from key and internal button - not sure if I’m out of the woods completely as the boot hatch still seems to take a while before it pops open - guess the battery could still be low on charge even with a reasonable drive - anyone know where the date stamp is on the oem battery as cant find it and tbh doesn’t look like it’s 7 years old - thanks
TT MK1 Roadster
RR Evoque
Now gone E85 2.0 SE

maxman

Roof issues

Post by maxman » Thu Sep 19, 2019 4:28 pm

I replaced mine the other week with one from ECP .It was £150 with their 50% off.Exide AGM 096.

Pbondar

Roof issues

Post by Pbondar » Thu Sep 19, 2019 5:07 pm

Gjm91 wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 2:55 pm Quick update - went for a long drive Over lunch in the zed and roof worked both from key and internal button - not sure if I’m out of the woods completely as the boot hatch still seems to take a while before it pops open - guess the battery could still be low on charge even with a reasonable drive - anyone know where the date stamp is on the oem battery as cant find it and tbh doesn’t look like it’s 7 years old - thanks
I dont think there is a date stamp that I could see, being nicely wrapped up I think you will find it looks mint even at 10 years..

As discussed, as the battery ages the onboard voltage /capacity monitroing system will 'save' it from more abuse by high current items like the roof and amplifiers by switching them off or limiting their use..

Your options are:

Get a charger that's good for AGM batteries
Run the car further more often
Get a new battery..although at 3 miles a day that will go flat probably, plus its atrcious for the engine.. :thumbsdown:

step_change

Roof issues

Post by step_change » Sun Sep 22, 2019 10:51 am

I never operate the roof on my 35is without me in the car and the engine running. I can't see the use case of why anyone would do otherwise?
Does your roof always work fine when you do this? Because if it does then there is nothing wrong with the mechanicals and it points to a battery power issue.
Gone :( : 2013 35is, Melbourne Red, DCT, Nav, Comfort pack
Gone: 2007 2.5is, Montego Blue, Auto, Nav

Chippie

Roof issues

Post by Chippie » Sun Sep 22, 2019 2:26 pm

step_change wrote: Sun Sep 22, 2019 10:51 am I never operate the roof on my 35is without me in the car and the engine running. I can't see the use case of why anyone would do otherwise?
On a hot summer’s day opening the roof before getting to or in the car let’s the interior cool down and is also easier to get in
E89 35is space grey Kansas coral red leather