Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Cabin air filter and the smell,of split milk

Mop1

Post by Mop1 » Fri Aug 16, 2019 7:03 pm

When I start our Z4 E89 I get a smell of split milk which does go after about 5mins but may recure.
I’ve read on other sites that this maybe due to the micro filters needing to be changed in a/c unit under the glove box.
What does the collective Z4-forum hive mind think about this?
Thanks

Smartbear
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Smartbear » Fri Aug 16, 2019 7:13 pm

Mop1 wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2019 7:03 pm When I start our Z4 E89 I get a smell of split milk which does go after about 5mins but may recure.
I’ve read on other sites that this maybe due to the micro filters needing to be changed in a/c unit under the glove box.
What does the collective Z4-forum hive mind think about this?
Thanks
I’ve not noticed this in my car, have you spilt milk in yours? :oops:
Rob

e89 Sdrive 20i, plenty of mumbo & good economy-the thinking bears z4
e89 Sdrive 30i, this ones busted, pass me another...
e85 3.0si sold

Mop1

Post by Mop1 » Fri Aug 16, 2019 7:30 pm

Haha
No split milk in the car - but I maybe crying over it!

Zed Baron

Post by Zed Baron » Sat Aug 17, 2019 5:54 pm

I change mine every year, only takes about 10 minutes to do it. Three screws under the glove box in the footwell, pull away the panel and the filter is tucked away near the right top from memory. The last filter I bought from a link here on the site and I think it was about £8 but you can pick genuine BMW ones on eBay for about £10+postage (I think BMW charge about £75 to change it)

Mop1

Post by Mop1 » Mon Aug 19, 2019 3:24 pm

Thanks Zed Baron

IRD

Post by IRD » Mon Aug 19, 2019 3:59 pm

I had a similar problem when I had my E85. I tried several air con cleaners without success and eventually paid for an auto-electrician to carry out a deep clean of the system. Still I didn’t manage to get rid of the smell. Time came to sell and when cleaning the carpets under the seats I discovered a container of milk. My wife had used the car to pop to the local super market to buy some groceries and left the milk under the passenger seat where it had lain for some time. When it had gone off it had expanded and pushed off the lid releasing everything onto the carpet under the seat. It was a nightmare. The, only solution was to take out and replace the carpets. Needless to say we are ultra careful about checking what is left in the car now. :oops:

ronk
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ronk » Fri Aug 23, 2019 8:56 pm

It does stink - I did the next door neighbour a favour by taking his son to work one day - the young fella put his lunch box in the boot of my nearly new Saab turbo - yes, his milk bottle leaked out - The car was never the same after it lost that new car smell - However not as bad as an old fella i know, he used to buy fresh fish from North Shields quayside - the surplus liquid drained off the fish - he sold the car after a few attempts of cleaning !
You don't stop playing when you get old - You get old when you stop playing!
So I bought a 35is with all the toys to play with. :thumbsup: