Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Vibration from drivers side

FunkyGBrown

Post by FunkyGBrown » Sat Aug 10, 2019 9:18 pm

Hi,

A buddy of mine who works at a mechanics recently removed the CDV from my '09 23i (brill mod, well worth it). Since then however there seems to be a vibration type sound coming from over my shoulder area which is REALLY annoying. :headbang: It might be unrelated to the mod, but not sure if jacking it up may have caused something to come loose?

So far I've gone at the following with some grease spray:

- Center arm rest
- Dash cubby hole (Where the iDrive screen normally is)
- Roof arms
- Door hinge (On the actual door)
- Door lock (The metal hook type thing on the car itself where the tyre pressure sticker is)
- Back/Front window seal (The piece of rubber that lines the length of the rear window)
- Around the dash and speedo area
- Seatbelt feeder (not sure what its called!)
- Speaker and speaker cover behind drivers seat

Needless to say the car stank for a while, but doing the above actually cleared up some creaking when going over speed bumps. However the vibrating noise is still there and right in my ear so difficult to ignore. I only really get it when driving over poor road surfaces, but living in Kent, this is basically everywhere.

My suspicions are either a loose screw inside the drivers door itself, or perhaps the undertray wasn't reattached securely enough. Thing is the vibration sounds like its right in my ear, so could even be the window? It's definitely not the speakers as it happens when they're on mute.

Has anyone had a similar experience or tips to resolve? It's driving me insane and is spoiling the driving experience. :headbang:

Sirrith

Post by Sirrith » Sun Aug 11, 2019 8:04 am

Your description seems to be a similar problem to mine. I posted a link to an audio clip of the noise in mine in this thread: viewtopic.php?f=45&t=115750 is it the same?

FunkyGBrown

Post by FunkyGBrown » Sun Aug 11, 2019 9:26 am

Sirrith wrote: Sun Aug 11, 2019 8:04 am Your description seems to be a similar problem to mine. I posted a link to an audio clip of the noise in mine in this thread: viewtopic.php?f=45&t=115750 is it the same?
Listened to your link, mine is more a vibration than a knocking sound. All I can liken it to is a phone vibration but higher pitch.

I'll try and do a recording next time I'm driving.

FunkyGBrown

Post by FunkyGBrown » Tue Aug 13, 2019 10:03 pm

Ok think I've narrowed it down to either the door lock mechanism or something to do with the window. Any ideas? I'm willing to take the door apart but want to see if anyone has any pointers. It sounds like a bee, that sort of vibration.