Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Z4 E89 - Roof Motor Replacement - Help!

ihadablackdog

Post by ihadablackdog » Tue Aug 06, 2019 12:09 pm

Tinker15 wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2019 7:18 am
ihadablackdog wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2019 3:32 pm Is this down by the battery?

I just need to look for water/rust?
This is what it should look like:
Thankyou, and thankyou Stuartt for the description. I’ll have a look.
2011 E89 sDrive20i

THawk

Post by THawk » Tue Aug 06, 2019 5:00 pm

flybobbie wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2019 10:29 pm Therefore there might have been something wrong with the connector block that pushing in the new relays fixed.
Looks like someone there has tried to replace that.
Perhaps that was badly corroded.
Check wiring to the relays.
Thanks FlyBobbie, I'll check this out. I'm going to replace the motor and pump as my first step. While I wait for that, I'll check out wiring and clean out the old one! :hattip:

THawk

Post by THawk » Sat Aug 17, 2019 6:50 pm

Hi All,

Update!

Took me a couple weeks to locate a new/refurbed motor. Whilst I waited, I took off the old motor and cleaned out all the wiring connections.
IMG_8916.jpg
IMG_8916.jpg (405.54 KiB) Viewed 1741 times
I attached the new Motor to the car, made sure all the connections were in the right place...

Moment of truth, closed the boot and pressed the roof down button. The windows went down, I could hear the motor whizzing in the boot - which means the motor works but..

BOOM, NEW PROBLEM

Error on the dashboard showing a red roof fault and no movement at all. The motor just whizzes in the boot and the roof doesn't budge.
But the big issue now.. The windows don't go back up, and the boot doesn't open at all!!

So I'm stuck again, this time I'm sure the motor is working, but I can't access the boot to check. I think the issue might be in the micro switches spread across the roof.

Does anyone know how I can close the windows and open the boot manually? I've had to put a car cover on with the windows still open - Disaster.