Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Two weeks in and first problem - boot soft closure failure

Liquid

Post by Liquid » Fri Aug 02, 2019 5:14 pm

Hi all

I noticed the boot of the Z was ajar yesterday. I mentioned it to the wife who then said she an issue this week whereby the car gave her an open boot warning. She opened and shut it and it was fine. The next day it happened again and then she forgot :roll:
I've investigated it this afternoon after reviewing the thread from flybobbie where he found broken/chafed wires but I have different symptoms.

I stripped everything out to check the wiring etc and everything looks brand new. Actuation from the fob and from the boot latch are all fine but the motors that actuate the soft closure are inoperable. I checked that they were getting power (which they are) and there are no signs of blockage.
After faffing with the latches and opening from the fob and the boot latch, they sprung into life and appeared to go through a synchronisation cycle; fully and partially opening and closing before coming to a stop. I managed to repeat this several times in an effort to refit everything and maybe get it to run whilst the boot was shut. Of course, now everything is fitted, I can't get it to run again.

Clearly, they are getting power and are not seized but outside of that, I'm stumped. Naturally, the warning keeps appearing and she has lost the use of the roof which is really winding her up given the weather.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Smartbear
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Smartbear » Sat Aug 03, 2019 12:50 am

Liquid wrote: Fri Aug 02, 2019 5:14 pm Hi all

I noticed the boot of the Z was ajar yesterday. I mentioned it to the wife who then said she an issue this week whereby the car gave her an open boot warning. She opened and shut it and it was fine. The next day it happened again and then she forgot :roll:
I've investigated it this afternoon after reviewing the thread from flybobbie where he found broken/chafed wires but I have different symptoms.

I stripped everything out to check the wiring etc and everything looks brand new. Actuation from the fob and from the boot latch are all fine but the motors that actuate the soft closure are inoperable. I checked that they were getting power (which they are) and there are no signs of blockage.
After faffing with the latches and opening from the fob and the boot latch, they sprung into life and appeared to go through a synchronisation cycle; fully and partially opening and closing before coming to a stop. I managed to repeat this several times in an effort to refit everything and maybe get it to run whilst the boot was shut. Of course, now everything is fitted, I can't get it to run again.

Clearly, they are getting power and are not seized but outside of that, I'm stumped. Naturally, the warning keeps appearing and she has lost the use of the roof which is really winding her up given the weather.

Does anyone have any suggestions?
I don’t think the boot would go through a synchronisation cycle, it sounds more like the usual broken wires symptoms to me?
Rob

e89 Sdrive 20i, plenty of mumbo & good economy-the thinking bears z4
e89 Sdrive 30i, this ones busted, pass me another...
e85 3.0si sold

Liquid

Post by Liquid » Sat Aug 03, 2019 9:17 am

The wiring all looks in great shape. The activation of the motors each time appeared to be identical so figured there was some degree of initialisation happening.

I’ll strip it all out again and go through it with a fine toothed comb. After trying to find more information, the likelihood is that there is a break in the ut clearly it will be small and tough to find.

Pbondar

Post by Pbondar » Sat Aug 03, 2019 10:12 am

I assume you are doing this with the engine running?

Have you lubed the hinges etc?

Liquid

Post by Liquid » Sat Aug 03, 2019 2:11 pm

Extra lesson learned for this one.

On checking the wiring, I assumed that everything was fine as it looked fine. Clearly, there was a break in the wiring only found under VERY close scrutiny. See that tiny loss of material on the blue sheath? That was one of them. I found two in total.

The plastic covers for the microswitches have an unyielding collar that secures the cable. I’ve left this unlocked to prevent it creating a hinge point.
The wiring used for these looks is very thin and might give way in the future but at least I know what’s up so will upgrade all wiring if it happens again.
Attachments
75617284-C8F3-4720-B976-8F05E16289DB.jpeg
75617284-C8F3-4720-B976-8F05E16289DB.jpeg (255.63 KiB) Viewed 1701 times
Last edited by Liquid on Sat Aug 03, 2019 5:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Big mike

Post by Big mike » Sat Aug 03, 2019 2:21 pm

Regarding the roof there are several on here that can help maybe relocate the pump to the boot
I had mine done last year by ducklakeview in Warrington no problems since
Good luck
Big Mike signing-off :driving: :driving:
E85 sterling grey 2.5 2003 17inch alloys
Roof pump relocated in boot

srhutch

Post by srhutch » Sat Aug 03, 2019 6:11 pm

Big mike wrote: Sat Aug 03, 2019 2:21 pm Regarding the roof there are several on here that can help maybe relocate the pump to the boot
I had mine done last year by ducklakeview in Warrington no problems since
Good luck
Not for E89 though. :wink:

maxman

Post by maxman » Sat Aug 03, 2019 7:57 pm

Liquid wrote: Sat Aug 03, 2019 2:11 pm Extra lesson learned for this one.

On checking the wiring, I assumed that everything was fine as it looked fine. Clearly, there was a break in the wiring only found under VERY close scrutiny. See that tiny loss of material on the blue sheath? That was one of them. I found two in total.

The plastic covers for the microswitches have an unyielding collar that secures the cable. I’ve left this unlocked to prevent it creating a hinge point.
The wiring used for these looks is very thin and might give way in the future but at least I know what’s up so will upgrade all wiring if it happens again.
Did you do the repair at the point where the boot is open to receive the roof?
Good work finding that :thumbsup:

Smartbear
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Smartbear » Sat Aug 03, 2019 9:18 pm

Liquid wrote: Sat Aug 03, 2019 2:11 pm Extra lesson learned for this one.

Well done for finding the issue :thumbsup:
Rob

e89 Sdrive 20i, plenty of mumbo & good economy-the thinking bears z4
e89 Sdrive 30i, this ones busted, pass me another...
e85 3.0si sold

Liquid

Post by Liquid » Sun Aug 04, 2019 8:42 am

maxman wrote: Sat Aug 03, 2019 7:57 pm Did you do the repair at the point where the boot is open to receive the roof?
Good work finding that :thumbsup:
Not sure if I understand what you mean but the boot was open in the normal way to gain access to the motors and solenoid.

Cheers. It was easy to overlook. On stripping the sheaths back to repair the wiring, I was amazed at how fine the copper strands are. I’ve not seen anything like it on a car before.