Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Metallic rattle sound help

Rich-hill

Post by Rich-hill » Sat Jul 27, 2019 6:28 pm

Hi all.

Driving today I started noticing the odd metallic sound... at first I thought it was the odd drain cover, then noticed it was making the sound when there wasn’t any...

The sound is like a loose piece of metal knocking another over rough /bumpy ground.

When I came to a stop to park and engaged P, the DCT box clunk sounded almost identical. So at a stand still I took the car in and out of gear, (sounded just like this clunk I had while driving). This sounded louder than the normal gear sounds too, now I don’t know if that’s because I was paying way more attention or whether I could have a problem.

DCT owners, now clunky or knocky is your gearbox when engaging Park/Drive/Reverse?

I have no idea if the rattle/knock i could hear while driving is related to the gear selection, but the sounds do appear very similar.
Last edited by Rich-hill on Sat Jul 27, 2019 6:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mr roadster

Post by Mr roadster » Sat Jul 27, 2019 6:42 pm

Hi if it’s from the gear box area It could well be the thrust bearing in the clutch only a suggestion. They can rattle when worn.y :driving:

Chippie

Post by Chippie » Sat Jul 27, 2019 7:36 pm

I think the sound you are hearing putting it in park is the pin locking into the drive shaft which i think is normal, I also hear a slight clunk when selecting reverse which I believe is the rear differential which again I think is normal and I also hear a slight noise when I drops into 1st gear when slowing / stopping.
As for the rattle when driving I’m sorry I can’t help
E89 35is space grey Kansas coral red leather

Rich-hill

Post by Rich-hill » Sat Jul 27, 2019 7:56 pm

Chippie wrote: Sat Jul 27, 2019 7:36 pm I think the sound you are hearing putting it in park is the pin locking into the drive shaft which i think is normal, I also hear a slight clunk when selecting reverse which I believe is the rear differential which again I think is normal and I also hear a slight noise when I drops into 1st gear when slowing / stopping.
As for the rattle when driving I’m sorry I can’t help
It’s reassuring that the transmission sounds appear normal, I have also noticed the knock into first when slowing.

As for the loose sounding metal which I thought was a drain cover, I have no idea.. steering and handling appear in affected

Rich-hill

Post by Rich-hill » Sun Jul 28, 2019 8:08 am

Having taken the car for another drive, I’m happy that the gear selection sound is normal, with windows up I don’t notice it, so must have been sensitive when having the door open yesterday.

The metal knocking sound though isn’t normal. It’s not like a suspension knock, it sounds like a light tap.... as if I were to tab something with a screw driver type sound (best I can describe it as)

Chippie

Post by Chippie » Sun Jul 28, 2019 10:18 am

Does it make the tapping sound with the roof up and down and do you have any idea as to where it sounds to be coming from, front,rear etc
E89 35is space grey Kansas coral red leather

Rich-hill

Post by Rich-hill » Sun Jul 28, 2019 8:32 pm

The sound can only be heard with the roof down or window open. With roof and windows shut I can’t hesr it.

If I were to place it, I’d say drivers side middle to front of the car (the sound isn’t coming from behind me).

It happens when going over bumpy roads and sometimes the cats eyes.

I can’t feel it through the car either (when I’ve had bushes go in other cars you can feel it feedback)