Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Overenthusiastic traction control?

Felixlamb

Post by Felixlamb » Mon Jul 22, 2019 3:03 pm

They authorised the goodwill gesture...thank god. She told me both drive shafts are dangerously rusted and they won't let me have the car back until it's all fixed. Otherwise it would have been £2k to fix. The driveshafts are on backorder so won't have the car back until Friday or early next week. As I'm so young they can't get me a courtesy car either so have to rely on mother dearest for her taxi services...for the whole week :headbang: But hey, at least there is an actual issue and I wasn't just being a drama queen :roll:
E89 sDrive20i M Sport

Smartbear
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Smartbear » Mon Jul 22, 2019 3:04 pm

Felixlamb wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2019 2:43 pm
jamie_z4 wrote: Sun Jul 14, 2019 11:19 pm It's more than likely the reluctor ring on the driveshaft. It's very well documented online and YouTube guides how to fix it, it's where the driveshaft rusts and bulges out the abs ring and it touches the sensor. It's happened to two of my z4s and is fixed by fitting new reluctor rings and new abs sensors if it's damaged them.

No need to disable a vital safety function which bmw provided in the first place, just get it fixed.
It's exactly that. Dropped it into Sytners this morning and they've just called me to say that's the issue. Apparently as it's corrosion it isn't covered under the 1 year warranty I got when buying the car...fun. (I only bought the car 3 months ago.) They said they're trying to contact BMW to get it done as a goodwill gesture, so fingers crossed.

The mechanic I spoke to said the corrosion was quite bad, and implied that it may have been there even before I bought the car from them, so kinda concerning that they didn't pick that up when they do their multi-point checks? She says it's not safe to drive.

If BMW don't budge, any idea of how much I'll have to part with to sort the issue out?
Sounds like they’re trying to body swerve paying for the issue, surely this comes under the “fit for purpose” consumer protection laws? :?
Rob

e89 Sdrive 20i, plenty of mumbo & good economy-the thinking bears z4
e89 Sdrive 30i, this ones busted, pass me another...
e85 3.0si sold

jamie_z4
Lifer
Lifer

Post by jamie_z4 » Mon Jul 22, 2019 3:54 pm

Oh wouod you look at that, all the know it alls ignoring my post, not like I've fixed 3 of them this year already :P
18 Z4s owned to date.

Current: 2.5i Titan silver

Daily driver: 480bhp M140i Shadow edition.

Pbondar

Post by Pbondar » Mon Jul 22, 2019 6:13 pm

jamie_z4 wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2019 3:54 pm Oh wouod you look at that, all the know it alls ignoring my post, not like I've fixed 3 of them this year already :P
Have you got any pictures of said corrosion / damage pls?

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enuff_zed » Mon Jul 22, 2019 6:22 pm

jamie_z4 wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2019 3:54 pm Oh wouod you look at that, all the know it alls ignoring my post, not like I've fixed 3 of them this year already :P
To be fair, my suggestion was merely that, as it takes less than a minute to quickly check the tyres, why would you not?
Not a 'know it all' just a lazy git :wink:
HQ of 'Norfolk Zed Rescue'.
Always happy to help if I can.

If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

jamie_z4
Lifer
Lifer

Post by jamie_z4 » Mon Jul 22, 2019 6:46 pm

Here's a link to a 3 series but it's the same thing

https://youtu.be/1PdnFRMMnEQ
18 Z4s owned to date.

Current: 2.5i Titan silver

Daily driver: 480bhp M140i Shadow edition.

Pbondar

Post by Pbondar » Mon Jul 22, 2019 6:54 pm

jamie_z4 wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2019 6:46 pm Here's a link to a 3 series but it's the same thing

Great most informative..the only issue I find on you tube is some of the repairs seem dumb/plain wrong, others are very good...separating them I think you can only do by watching several and seeing what the majority work out...

Despite watching several not been able to fix my slightly wobbly pax door mirror..

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enuff_zed » Mon Jul 22, 2019 10:29 pm

Pbondar wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2019 6:54 pm
jamie_z4 wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2019 6:46 pm Here's a link to a 3 series but it's the same thing

Despite watching several not been able to fix my slightly wobbly pax door mirror..
Oh that's easy!
Move to Norfolk. You'll never need to use mirrors again.........................or indicators :D
HQ of 'Norfolk Zed Rescue'.
Always happy to help if I can.

If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

flybobbie
Lifer
Lifer

Post by flybobbie » Tue Jul 23, 2019 12:15 am

Banging that ring onto that shaft looks bad. I would have heated it up and shrunk it on.