Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

[SOLVED] Gearbox didn’t automatically change up when it reached rev limit

Felixlamb

Post by Felixlamb » Thu Jun 13, 2019 10:14 pm

Hey all,

I have a 64 plate 20i Auto for context.

Earlier this evening I went out for a quick drive. Popped it into Sport+, gear selector to the left and used the flappies and all that.

The route brought me under a bridge, so dropped it down to 2nd and gave it some beans. Forgot to change up though... but the gearbox is meant to change up automatically to avoid overrevving, right?

For some reason it didn’t, and instead the engine just stuck at 6.5k RPM, and didn’t change up automatically despite the accelerator still being pressed firmly. Previously I’ve found that the gearbox would automatically change up without any driver input, even in sport mode. Is it because I was in sport+ mode that this didn’t happen? Or might this potentially be an actual issue?

Cheers,

Felix
Last edited by Felixlamb on Thu Jun 13, 2019 10:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
E89 sDrive20i M Sport

greg81

Gearbox didn’t automatically change up when it reached rev limit

Post by greg81 » Thu Jun 13, 2019 10:23 pm

Not sure I fully understand the issue here so I may be wrong but if you change the gears manually they remain in manual mode for a period so they would not change automatically for a period of a few seconds I believe. Something like 8-10 seconds

Lazza

Post by Lazza » Thu Jun 13, 2019 10:33 pm

greg81 wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 10:23 pm Not sure I fully understand the issue here so I may be wrong but if you change the gears manually they remain in manual mode for a period so they would not change automatically for a period of a few seconds I believe. Something like 8-10 seconds
No, I’m pretty sure that even in manual mode it should change up automatically at the rev limiter. In fact launch control uses manual mode!
Z4 S-Drive 35i
Audi TT S-line
Mazda MX5 Mk2.5 (for sale)
Wokingham Berkshire

Pbondar

Post by Pbondar » Thu Jun 13, 2019 10:35 pm

Felixlamb wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 10:14 pm Hey all,

I have a 64 plate 20i Auto for context.

Earlier this evening I went out for a quick drive. Popped it into Sport+, gear selector to the left and used the flappies and all that.

The route brought me under a bridge, so dropped it down to 2nd and gave it some beans. Forgot to change up though... but the gearbox is meant to change up automatically to avoid overrevving, right?

For some reason it didn’t, and instead the engine just stuck at 6.5k RPM, and didn’t change up automatically despite the accelerator still being pressed firmly. Previously I’ve found that the gearbox would automatically change up without any driver input, even in sport mode. Is it because I was in sport+ mode that this didn’t happen? Or might this potentially be an actual issue?

Cheers,

Felix
Sports+ mode disables auto upshifts...
Attachments
16A970D4-7F42-4C36-93A6-C4538B334C80.png
16A970D4-7F42-4C36-93A6-C4538B334C80.png (312.97 KiB) Viewed 784 times

Felixlamb

Post by Felixlamb » Thu Jun 13, 2019 10:41 pm

Awesome stuff, @Pbondar, thanks for attaching that. Glad it wasn’t anything more sinister! Looks like I need to study the manual again...
E89 sDrive20i M Sport

Pbondar

Post by Pbondar » Fri Jun 14, 2019 12:32 pm

Felixlamb wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 10:41 pm Awesome stuff, @Pbondar, thanks for attaching that. Glad it wasn’t anything more sinister! Looks like I need to study the manual again...
Grasshopper, RTFM is usually very good advice at least initially, when you have risen to a Fifth Dan then alternative ideas may be relevant! :thumbsup: