Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

3.0i

Bdy

3.0i

Post by Bdy » Wed Jun 12, 2019 1:00 pm

Would appreciate some thoughts on the following issue that cropped up last night.

Last 10 miles of a 50 mile trip and the car started to f handle badly. The problem seemed to come from the rear, although the steering wheel was wobbling to. I can only describe the feeling as like the car had square wheels.

No warning lights came on and the engine seemed fine on tick over and when revved.

I was aware that the rear near side (run flat) tyre needs replacing soon but I wonder if it’s now actually suffered a puncture. The tyre was warm to the touch while the others were cold - unsurprising at it was a wet journey home.

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

3.0i

Post by enuff_zed » Wed Jun 12, 2019 1:04 pm

Bdy wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 1:00 pm Would appreciate some thoughts on the following issue that cropped up last night.

Last 10 miles of a 50 mile trip and the car started to f handle badly. The problem seemed to come from the rear, although the steering wheel was wobbling to. I can only describe the feeling as like the car had square wheels.

No warning lights came on and the engine seemed fine on tick over and when revved.

I was aware that the rear near side (run flat) tyre needs replacing soon but I wonder if it’s now actually suffered a puncture. The tyre was warm to the touch while the others were cold - unsurprising at it was a wet journey home.
Well, my first action would be to actually check the tyre pressures :wink:
HQ of 'Norfolk Zed Rescue'.
Always happy to help if I can.

If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

Bdy

3.0i

Post by Bdy » Wed Jun 12, 2019 1:17 pm

Fair point. Haven’t had a chance to check as it was late and chucking it down. It’s my first car with run flats and so not familiar with their behaviour when they do suffer a puncture.

enuff_zed
Lifer
Lifer

3.0i

Post by enuff_zed » Wed Jun 12, 2019 2:43 pm

Bdy wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 1:17 pm Fair point. Haven’t had a chance to check as it was late and chucking it down. It’s my first car with run flats and so not familiar with their behaviour when they do suffer a puncture.
Same here.
I would have expected some kind of dash warning, but I guess it is possible that the detection system isn't working. Or the pressure monitoring has been reset when it was already low.
Either way, until you dive into anything too drastic, you need to just confirm if you do in fact have a tyre 'sans air' :)
HQ of 'Norfolk Zed Rescue'.
Always happy to help if I can.

If the forum helped you, why not help the forum back. Thats the Z4 way! :thumbsup:

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

3.0i

Post by Mr Tidy » Wed Jun 12, 2019 8:33 pm

A puncture should have triggered the tyre warning light, and the couple of times I've had a punctured run-flat it didn't feel any different to drive - although both times was in a 1 Series.

Just a thought as I haven't experienced it, but might a snapped rear spring cause that?

Hopefully someone more knowledgeable will be along soon!

Anyway I hope it's nothing major OP. :thumbsup:
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

firebobby
Lifer
Lifer

3.0i

Post by firebobby » Wed Jun 12, 2019 10:40 pm

How about some photos of your car and a proper introduction in the newbie section :|
BMW Z4 30i 2003 auto 107's Whippy Toledo Blue
Beige M sport seats, wood dash
Toyota MR2 NA 1995
Triumph GT6 1972 (project)
Land Rover Discovery 1994 TDI (Tow car)
Mini 1000 1981

Vonlipvig

3.0i

Post by Vonlipvig » Thu Jun 13, 2019 8:01 am

Mr Tidy wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 8:33 pm A puncture should have triggered the tyre warning light, and the couple of times I've had a punctured run-flat it didn't feel any different to drive - although both times was in a 1 Series.

Just a thought as I haven't experienced it, but might a snapped rear spring cause that?

Hopefully someone more knowledgeable will be along soon!

Anyway I hope it's nothing major OP. :thumbsup:
I've had a broken rear spring a couple of times and the only thing that was different was a slight knock every now and then.

I've had a puncture when I was on run flats and it drove fine as well, but that was in the dry and I was taking it very easy.

Wife's car had one on the three series with no light to indicate, but that was because the sensor had been reset when low like someone else mentioned.

Hopefully it's just a tire for you op
2009 Sapphire Black 23i

buzyg
Legend
Legend

3.0i

Post by buzyg » Thu Jun 13, 2019 6:24 pm

Possibly lost a wheel weight or picked up a clump of something on the inside of a wheel.

Bdy

3.0i

Post by Bdy » Sun Jun 16, 2019 4:05 pm

Many thanks everyone for your help and advice. Had a new tyre fitted yesterday and all seems well again. The old one had to be carefully cut off to avoid damaging the wheel as the inside sidewall had almost split from the rest of the tyre

Busterboo

3.0i

Post by Busterboo » Sun Jun 16, 2019 8:04 pm

Bdy wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 1:00 pm I was aware that the rear near side (run flat) tyre needs replacing soon ...
Or perhaps quite a long time ago? :wink:
Vidi, vici, veni