Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Engine warning light, zero throttle response

straight6fan

Post by straight6fan » Sat Jun 01, 2019 10:48 am

This has happened 5 or 6 times now.

The symptoms are, usually after driving for 8-10 minutes the Engine Warning Light will come on and simultaneously the car will appear to almost cut out, with zero throttle, response. The engine remains on, in a tick over mode at very low rpm. Manipulating the throttle has no effect.

If you switch the car off it will not restart. It will crank/ no start as if there is no fuel.

If you switch the car off for 30 seconds the EWL has cleared and it drives perfectly normally.

The first time this happened I took it to the dealer, they said they couldn't see anything, cleared the codes, charged me handsomely and sent me on my way. So I don't meant to go back to them for a repeat.

I did read in this forum about resetting the adaptive throttle, which I have done, but again I'm not clear if this fixes it, or it's just the fact the car is switched off for 30 seconds.

To me the symptoms feel like they would be related to the throttle sensor, but I don't want to just start swapping parts as, given how far apart recurrences can be, I'd never be sure it's fixed.

I was planning on doing the NC500 this year, but I'm worried I'll end up in the middle of nowhere, with no mobile signal, and no transport if the next time it doesn't just clear.

Has anyone else seen this, and perhaps offer some insights?
BMW Z SERIES Z4 SDRIVE20I M SPORT ROADSTER, Extended Lighting, Extended Storage, Cruise Control, Heated Seats 326 Alloys

N4LLY

Post by N4LLY » Sat Jun 01, 2019 12:04 pm

Had this happen around Christmas time. EML came on and the car went into limp mode.
Limped into works car park. At the end of the day back to the car and the light was off and the car back to normal.
6 month's later and it has never returned. Strange. :|

2014 20 M sport Valencia Orange

Smartbear
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Smartbear » Sat Jun 01, 2019 1:19 pm

Hi, you need to ask the dealer which codes they actually cleared :?
Rob

e89 Sdrive 20i, plenty of mumbo & good economy-the thinking bears z4
e89 Sdrive 30i, this ones busted, pass me another...
e85 3.0si sold

clarker63

Post by clarker63 » Sat Jun 01, 2019 1:33 pm

Worth investing in a code reader or finding someone near who has one..
35is, sadly gone, but not forgotten.