Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

iDrive will not play videos from iPhone

Red61

Post by Red61 » Mon Mar 18, 2019 8:22 pm

Hi,

I have got an iPhone 4s in the media snapin adaptor and I was expecting to be able to play videos through the iDrive screen like it says in the Z4 user manual. Unfortunately although the audio comes through there is no video.

The video icon does not appear in the External Devices Snap menu but the iPhone thinks it is connected to a TV.

Anybody successfully tried this?

Cheers !

Red61

Post by Red61 » Fri Apr 26, 2019 1:28 pm

I am sure replying to your own post is not allowed but here goes in case anyone else has had this problem.

It seems that to get video to play from an iPhone 4 in the snap-in cradle requires the retro-fitting of the BMW Apps option 6NR. There is no video cable installed between the snap-in and the radio head unit unless you have this option. Sytners wanted around £450 to do this. However due to all the required iPhone 4 apps now being obsolete, the BMW Apps feature no longer works properly so I found another way that just enables the video part.

I fitted the cable (cost £20 from the parts dept.) and then did some coding with a laptop and an OBDii cable to add the analog TV option (601). I now have video playing from the iPhone to the iDrive screen. It is not brilliant as you cannot control the playback from the iDrive knob but for £20, it is good enough.

Adil_3

Post by Adil_3 » Fri Apr 26, 2019 2:49 pm

Wouldnt have been easier to just ask a forum member with carly to code video in motion for yourself?