Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Help! It's all falling apart.....

LeePreston

Post by LeePreston » Sun Feb 17, 2019 8:32 pm

Looking for advice on 3 issues that have come up on my 2009 z4 S Drive 35i.

1- The dreaded waste gate rattle - The car is starting to rattle nicely now. It's just the most annoying noise, just like there's a loose screw on an exhaust mounting bracket. But having got the car on a ramp (a feat in itself), the exhaust is fine. Pretty sure it's the waste gates, so my question is, is it worth just replacing the waste gates, or should I just bite the bullet and replace both turbos? I've seen some on Ebay for about £650, but not sue if anyone on here has any other suggestions, and possible ideas on the cost of refurb etc....?

2- The power steering has developed an odd fault. It seems to be heavy steering in one direction, but lighter in the other. This is intermittent, and seems to come and go with every quarter turn of the wheel. I know there were plenty of E85 faults on here, but anyone with similar experience on an E89?

3- Third one, and hopefully a simple fix. I have a leak from the roof, coming in just above and behind the passenger door. It does deposit splashes when I'm washing the car, and has started to stain the roof lining.

having had my car for 14 months, and only driven 2500 miles in that time, i was ready to throw in the towel and move to the dark side (test drove a Boxster S today, for my sins). However, I've given myself a good talking to, and am looking at what I need to do to try to make it all better, as economically as I can.

Any help and advice would be greatly appreciated

clarker63

Post by clarker63 » Mon Feb 18, 2019 1:09 pm

LeePreston wrote: Sun Feb 17, 2019 8:32 pm
3- Third one, and hopefully a simple fix. I have a leak from the roof, coming in just above and behind the passenger door. It does deposit splashes when I'm washing the car, and has started to stain the roof lining.
Can't help you with the first 2 but would suggest ensuring the roof rubber seals are properly lubricated using the following (although others will do)

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Nextzett-Gum ... 3061353435

Have you tried something like that?
35is, sadly gone, but not forgotten.

Busterboo

Post by Busterboo » Mon Feb 18, 2019 2:59 pm

If you've only done 2500 miles in the last 14 months, is it worth spending a lot* to replace it with a Coxster, only then to do another 2500 miles in the next 14 months?

*A lot, because you'll have to fix it to sell it, of course, and good Coxsters ain't cheap (or problem-free or cheap to maintain, either).

Fix the Z and drive it!
Vidi, vici, veni