Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

E89 gear change / clutch

zzpza

E89 gear change / clutch

Post by zzpza » Wed Jan 23, 2019 4:43 pm

I've got a 2009 E89 23i. It's done 115,000 miles and when driving normally, hot or cold engine, I've noticed that I get a bit of a 'crunch' from first to second. If I change slowly (wait about 1 second in neutral before going into second) then it's fine, no crunch. The crunch isn't loud enough to hear, but you can feel it via the gear stick.

I took it to my local dealer (who I genuinely trust) and they said it needed a new clutch and possible flywheel. I had asked if it was maybe a worn synchro when I took it in. The clutch isn't slipping, at least at the moment. I flatter myself I'm reasonably mechanically sympathetic, so have been aware of this problem for a while (about last 5k), but wonder if it's just not obvious to someone who doesn't drive the car regularly and has been misdiagnosed? This is however the first car I've had with a hydraulic clutch where I've worn the clutch out, the last car I needed a clutch in had a cable operated clutch.

Has anyone here had the clutch replaced on their E89, and if so what were the symptoms before you had the work done?

flybobbie
Lifer
Lifer

E89 gear change / clutch

Post by flybobbie » Wed Jan 23, 2019 10:24 pm

My 1st to 2nd has always been a bit crunchy, just the nature of the box, rubbish.
If i think about it i try to keep the revs up a bit on the gear change.
Would love to try a brand new box just to see if there is any difference.
When i test drove the car at 29k, i said to the dealer typical notchy BMW gearbox, he just smiled.
Now have 82k and doesn't feel any different.
Have tried three types of oil in the box, first atf, then two different gear oils. Not much difference.
Would love to strip the box and replace the syncros.
But have seen 2nd hand boxes for £500.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SoyFWqBfK3E
Last edited by flybobbie on Wed Jan 23, 2019 11:22 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

E89 gear change / clutch

Post by Mr Tidy » Wed Jan 23, 2019 10:54 pm

Although I've got an E86 it's got an N52 engine, so probably the same gearbox as your car.

And mine has always been a bit obstructive going from 1st to 2nd, especially when I am in a hurry! :( I had the gearbox oil changed and fitted a ZHP gear-knob and that has improved things a bit.

But BMW manual gearboxes definitely seem to be a bit hit and miss IME. My 1st E86 one was better, but the one in my E91 325i is way better than either of them - even though it's done 137K miles. :? Perhaps I just need to get more miles on my Z4. :lol:

It's certainly not so bad I'd think about getting a clutch changed.
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

ronk
Lifer
Lifer

E89 gear change / clutch

Post by ronk » Thu Jan 31, 2019 10:03 pm

A previous E85 (My first ever Z4) had a very poor gear change and it was also improved with a ZHP Knob.
I took it to a couple of main dealers who confirmed it was the norm.

I can't understand why there is such enthusiasm for manuals.
You don't stop playing when you get old - You get old when you stop playing!
So I bought a 35is with all the toys to play with. :thumbsup:

Smartbear
Lifer
Lifer

E89 gear change / clutch

Post by Smartbear » Thu Jan 31, 2019 10:09 pm

ronk wrote: Thu Jan 31, 2019 10:03 pm A previous E85 (My first ever Z4) had a very poor gear change and it was also improved with a ZHP Knob.

It’s a control thing Ron, a manual immerses the driver with mechanical “feel” (and crunching cogs) :P
Rob

e89 Sdrive 20i, plenty of mumbo & good economy-the thinking bears z4
e89 Sdrive 30i, this ones busted, pass me another...
e85 3.0si sold

ronk
Lifer
Lifer

E89 gear change / clutch

Post by ronk » Thu Jan 31, 2019 10:27 pm

Smartbear wrote: Thu Jan 31, 2019 10:09 pm
ronk wrote: Thu Jan 31, 2019 10:03 pm A previous E85 (My first ever Z4) had a very poor gear change and it was also improved with a ZHP Knob.

It’s a control thing Ron, a manual immerses the driver with mechanical “feel” (and crunching cogs) :P
Rob
I know an old chap (91) who's just bought another new car - I politely suggested he should consider an auto but I was told - and I Quote:-

1 I tried one
2 I don’t crunch gears
3 Always in correct gear
4 Can’t remember my last stall.
5 Prefer to control my own gears - I’m the driver!

I went out with him to buy his new iPad and can confirm that he did all - 1:5 - My nerves were in a jangle!
You don't stop playing when you get old - You get old when you stop playing!
So I bought a 35is with all the toys to play with. :thumbsup:

Smartbear
Lifer
Lifer

E89 gear change / clutch

Post by Smartbear » Thu Jan 31, 2019 10:29 pm

ronk wrote: Thu Jan 31, 2019 10:27 pm
Smartbear wrote: Thu Jan 31, 2019 10:09 pm

Rob
I know an old chap (91) who's just bought another new car - I politely suggested he should consider an auto but I was told - and I Quote:-

1 I tried one
2 I don’t crunch gears
3 Always in correct gear
4 Can’t remember my last stall.
5 Prefer to control my own gears - I’m the driver!

I went out with him to buy his new iPad and can confirm that he did all - 1:5 - My nerves were in a jangle!
Maybe it’s his hearing that’s gone? :lol:
Rob

e89 Sdrive 20i, plenty of mumbo & good economy-the thinking bears z4
e89 Sdrive 30i, this ones busted, pass me another...
e85 3.0si sold

R.E92

E89 gear change / clutch

Post by R.E92 » Fri Feb 01, 2019 1:31 pm

BMW do seem let down by their manual gearboxes. Although I've never driven a Z4 with a manual.

The CDV makes clutch engagement vague. First and second gear changes are always notchy and a large number of their cars seem to suffer from clutch judder.

They do seem to be robust though and are a pleasure to use once moving.

clarker63

E89 gear change / clutch

Post by clarker63 » Fri Feb 01, 2019 2:18 pm

I came from an S2000 to my manual 2.3iSdrive, and the only thing I really disliked was the gearbox. the S2000 has the perfect gearbox, whereas my Z4 is clunky and I don't aways select 2nd correctly. Eventualy I hope to get a 3.5iS with the DCT gearbox - although I will always be concerned that at some point it will go wrong and be very expensive to fix!
35is, sadly gone, but not forgotten.

Broads

E89 gear change / clutch

Post by Broads » Tue Feb 19, 2019 7:14 pm

You know what, this very issue was bugging me as well. However it sounds like this is a common e89 thing and maybe to be expected, and not a major defect.

To be honest my Z3 wasn't that much better between 1st and 2nd either.
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/the_zed_head
Current: (2012) 20i Deep Sea Blue Z4 - E89
Past: (2000) 1.9 Topaz Z3

del_tl1000r

E89 gear change / clutch

Post by del_tl1000r » Sun Mar 24, 2019 7:44 pm

I have had an issue with my clutch for some time now where it judders slightly pulling away in 1st or changing down from 3rd to 2nd. It's been annoying me for ages. Put it in for an MOT the other day and asked them to change the brake fluid while it was in as the computer was telling me it was overdue. Brakes are a lot sharper now and my clutch no longer judders!
23i
Msport seats
CDV deleted
LED halo bulbs
LCI side repeaters
Stubby
Brushed stainless exhaust tips
Focal speakers
Pioneer amp
Kicker sub
M4 style wheels

Bodben

E89 gear change / clutch

Post by Bodben » Mon Mar 25, 2019 6:35 pm

del_tl1000r wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2019 7:44 pm I have had an issue with my clutch for some time now where it judders slightly pulling away in 1st or changing down from 3rd to 2nd. It's been annoying me for ages. Put it in for an MOT the other day and asked them to change the brake fluid while it was in as the computer was telling me it was overdue. Brakes are a lot sharper now and my clutch no longer judders!
That's interesting, I get some clutch judder too, not enough to bother me too much but maybe a fluid change is the go!

Gjm91

E89 gear change / clutch

Post by Gjm91 » Sun Jul 28, 2019 10:26 am

Glad I read this thread as thought it was my driving - after a month of ownership still haven’t mastered 1st and 2nd gears despite trying different techniques without success - at least I can protect my ego and blame the dodgy gear changes on the gearbox . My 2.0 seems to idle very low too 600-700 once warm and catches me out with the odd embarrassing stall- usually with roof down on a busy street - oh well will persevere trying to find the right technique- any tips welcome
E89 2.0 i S Drive M Sport
TT MK1 Roadster
RR Evoque
Now gone E85 2.0 SE

flybobbie
Lifer
Lifer

E89 gear change / clutch

Post by flybobbie » Sun Jul 28, 2019 4:10 pm

23i has the silly normal and sport mode when in fact all it needs is the sport mode. Mine might judder in normal when cold if i forget to put it in sport mode. Can't see why it doesn't just stay in last mode selected.
A bit less since i deleted the clutch delay valve.

Gjm91

E89 gear change / clutch

Post by Gjm91 » Sun Jul 28, 2019 6:43 pm

Agree re the waste of time comfort mode and 1st and 2nd seem even more notchy when in comfort - always drive in sport mode - would be nice if it remembered the last setting though.- thinking about it the gear change in my previous e85 was the same for 1st and 2nd.
E89 2.0 i S Drive M Sport
TT MK1 Roadster
RR Evoque
Now gone E85 2.0 SE