Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

boot lid soft close

dvd112

boot lid soft close

Post by dvd112 » Thu Jan 17, 2019 7:56 pm

Before I take it to the stealers I thought I would try on here, I have read that a low charged car battery can cause some of these issues:

Opened boot, placed stuff in boot, closed boot.
Immediately I could hear as if it was trying to catch and lock but wouldn't. Small visual gap at close, but boot still locks and won't budge.
Interior alarm goes off to signify the boot isn't closed.
Open boot, try and close again, closes tight but soft close doesn't engage. Again i can hear it trying to lock itself.
Opened boot, cleaned all connectors, tried to close again. Same issue, but cannot hear soft close engage now.
Tried above c. 5 time... nothing

Any suggestions, I have the extended warranty but i know they will say that the lock isn't covered... as always and don't wanna fork out the c. 400 quid i hear people mention to get a new mechanism.

Any ideas?

D

markplant
Lifer
Lifer

boot lid soft close

Post by markplant » Thu Jan 17, 2019 9:28 pm

Does it still happen if the engine is running an hopefully battery getting a good charge, also where shouts are as may be able to direct towards a good indie garage
3.0 Manual. Sterling Grey. Cream leather Electric an Heated. Professional Navigation/Sony tablet replacement. Storm Werks . an parts waiting to be fitted

Smartbear
Lifer
Lifer

boot lid soft close

Post by Smartbear » Thu Jan 17, 2019 9:32 pm

If you use the search facility I’m sure this has happened several times due to a factory wiring fault on the soft close mechanism, it’s diy repairable from memory :?
Rob

e89 Sdrive 20i, plenty of mumbo & good economy-the thinking bears z4
e89 Sdrive 30i, this ones busted, pass me another...
e85 3.0si sold

flybobbie
Lifer
Lifer

boot lid soft close

Post by flybobbie » Thu Jan 17, 2019 10:32 pm

Classic symptom of that fault.

dvd112

boot lid soft close

Post by dvd112 » Mon Jan 21, 2019 8:56 pm

Update ***

Car went in this morning to get the boot lid looked at.

Gave them a call at 1630. Apparently there is a water leak through one of the seals. Unsure which one. Which has got the the mechanism and corroded it.

Now I do have an extended warranty. The comprehensive bmw one. As this is a seal it’s not covered .... leaving me liable for at best 2 hours labour for diagnosing (360gbp). The parts department were good and said that they would pursue for me as I am fully covered etc etc.

But I am in a bit of a sticky situation. As I am v. Tempted to go independent. But as it stands I owe them the money.

What I can’t understand is the warranty specifically says that reasonable diagnosis will be covered if a covered part is malfunctioning. Or words to that effect.

If the soft close is broken then why do I need to pay for seals. Is it because the garage view the seal as the cause.... i think so.

Any advice guys ?

dvd112

boot lid soft close

Post by dvd112 » Tue Jan 22, 2019 10:59 pm

update part 2... Dealer will cover all repairs under warranty... what a win!

Smartbear
Lifer
Lifer

boot lid soft close

Post by Smartbear » Tue Jan 22, 2019 11:39 pm

dvd112 wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 10:59 pm update part 2... Dealer will cover all repairs under warranty... what a win!
Did you notice wet carpet in the boot? :?
Rob

e89 Sdrive 20i, plenty of mumbo & good economy-the thinking bears z4
e89 Sdrive 30i, this ones busted, pass me another...
e85 3.0si sold

Beeacon

boot lid soft close

Post by Beeacon » Wed Jan 23, 2019 11:14 am

These are exactly the symptoms I had shown in the thread below. It is a DIY fix but if its covered under warranty then have BMW sort it. For those in future who come to this thread looking for how to solve it, have a look at the thread below and either do it yourself or point your dealer in the right direction:

viewtopic.php?p=1588457#p1588457

Beeacon.
Current: Still thinking...
Past: 2009 BMW Z4 35i sDrive DCT
Past: 1997 BMW Z3 2.8 wide boy