Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Washer Filter Blocked??

R.E92

Washer Filter Blocked??

Post by R.E92 » Mon Jan 14, 2019 11:55 pm

Mr Tidy wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 11:15 pm
R.E92 wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 5:40 pm
Mr Tidy wrote: Sat Jan 12, 2019 11:23 pm I did my Z4 2 and a half years ago and haven't had a problem since - but I only ever use the same brand of screen-wash. Mixing brands seems to contribute to the problem.
You got it. The problem comes from mixing different types of screenwash.

BMW use a different chemical to most other screenwash. The best thing to do is buy a 5L bottle of the BMW stuff from the dealer and top it up yourself. If you go and buy some supermarket screenwash and then it goes into BMW for a service and they top it off with some BMW brand stuff you end up with clogged washers and a tank full of gunk.
BMW stuff. :o I've only ever used cheapy Prestone screen-wash from Tesco since I cleaned it all out. Did the same with my E46 and that worked for 3 years until I sold it.

Seeing as my Z4 won't ever be going to a BMW dealer it won't get topped up with their "snake-potion"!

Although I did buy some of the BMW branded stuff for my E91 as it has full BMW service history up to 132K miles, and the reservoir is hidden in a front wheel-arch!
If you're never going to visit a dealer then it's no problem. I'd take over-priced screenwash over having to clean out the washer bottle again.

To be fair, the BMW stuff works really well at getting rid of grime so it's not a complete ripoff. I last paid £18 for 5L and It's pretty concentrated stuff (Works down to -63C) so I use 1 part screenwash to 4 parts water. I tend to get 3 years out of a 5L tub.

For anyone reading this who's interested in the BMW stuff, it's available on the BMW store: https://shop.bmw.co.uk/bmw-uk/en_GB/p/g ... 3005000ml/

Or for the more discerning person with a little more cash than sense there's the organic ginger infused option (that's got to be an april fools joke they forgot to remove!!):
https://shop.bmw.co.uk/bmw-uk/en_GB/p/- ... t/2405483/

AnubisZed

Washer Filter Blocked??

Post by AnubisZed » Tue Jan 15, 2019 1:46 pm

Old screen wash can "go off" as well so watch out for gunge in the bottom of the bottle before using it.

Use an old tooth brush on the filter (do both filters at the same time, screen and headlights) and make sure you clean the tank out (best to remove it first, only a few screws) with a hose on jet.
Dave
2011, 23i, Grey with Red leather. 8)

My E89 YouTube channel - BMW Z4 Mods
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCttNBt ... UQnoEvKB2Q

RustyZ4
Lifer
Lifer

Washer Filter Blocked??

Post by RustyZ4 » Tue Jan 15, 2019 3:09 pm

Looks like that's my job for this weekend :thumbsup:
Z4 Mineral Grey, 28i MSport Auto, lots of goodies
Z4 E85 3.0, gone but now with son :D
Growing Old is Mandatory But Growing Up is Optional

ronk
Lifer
Lifer

Washer Filter Blocked??

Post by ronk » Tue Jan 15, 2019 9:50 pm

R.E92 wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 11:55 pm
To be fair, the BMW stuff works really well at getting rid of grime so it's not a complete ripoff. I last paid £18 for 5L and It's pretty concentrated stuff (Works down to -63C) so I use 1 part screenwash to 4 parts water. I tend to get 3 years out of a 5L tub.

Sound advice :thumbsup:
I use the stuff in Summer (more diluted) and Winter.
You don't stop playing when you get old - You get old when you stop playing!
So I bought a 35is with all the toys to play with. :thumbsup:

JimsZ

Washer Filter Blocked??

Post by JimsZ » Wed Jan 16, 2019 11:50 pm

So glad I’d done mine I had the seagull from hell unload it’s intestines on my bonnet and windscreen this morning 🤢

The washers worked perfectly but I had to go get a bucket of hot water and cloth to clean the bonnet
E89/28i Msport gone :( .. Zx10r track bike gone… time for a KTM 350 exc-f and some green laning and dirt bike excursions…. Let’s see how this goes… : :evil:

firebobby
Lifer
Lifer

Washer Filter Blocked??

Post by firebobby » Thu Jan 17, 2019 1:20 pm

JimsZ wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 11:50 pm So glad I’d done mine I had the seagull from hell unload it’s intestines on my bonnet and windscreen this morning 🤢

The washers worked perfectly but I had to go get a bucket of hot water and cloth to clean the bonnet
I had that problem, they must hunt Zeds down just to crap on them :|
Probably trained by the RAF :rofl:
BMW Z4 30i 2003 auto 107's Whippy Toledo Blue
Beige M sport seats, wood dash
Toyota MR2 NA 1995
Triumph GT6 1972 (project)
Land Rover Discovery 1994 TDI (Tow car)
Mini 1000 1981

JimsZ

Washer Filter Blocked??

Post by JimsZ » Fri Jan 18, 2019 1:02 am

firebobby wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 1:20 pm
JimsZ wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 11:50 pm So glad I’d done mine I had the seagull from hell unload it’s intestines on my bonnet and windscreen this morning 🤢

I had that problem, they must hunt Zeds down just to crap on them :|
Probably trained by the RAF :rofl:
Wrong bird, I’d rather it was a babe magnet 🤣
E89/28i Msport gone :( .. Zx10r track bike gone… time for a KTM 350 exc-f and some green laning and dirt bike excursions…. Let’s see how this goes… : :evil:

estorilmouse

Washer Filter Blocked??

Post by estorilmouse » Thu May 16, 2019 10:15 pm

A cheaper way to clean things

Steradent.

Throw a couple in the tank, leave for half an hour. Add clean water skim off the scum that comes up to the top. Siphon out the remaking water and refill with clean water , repeat a couple of times. Run clean water through the system to clear out the steradent.

A mate told me about this, he does every couple years in his M5.

EssexZed

Washer Filter Blocked??

Post by EssexZed » Fri May 17, 2019 7:49 am

estorilmouse wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 10:15 pm A cheaper way to clean things

Steradent.

Throw a couple in the tank, leave for half an hour. Add clean water skim off the scum that comes up to the top. Siphon out the remaking water and refill with clean water , repeat a couple of times. Run clean water through the system to clear out the steradent.

If that fails you can always filter it through your teeth :rofl:

roblightbody

Washer Filter Blocked??

Post by roblightbody » Sat Jul 06, 2019 12:58 pm

Steradent.

Certainly easier. Although its not difficult or complicated to clean the filters manually, I found it fiddly and frustrating and did battle with the bottle both on the way out and on the way back in!
2007 Stratus Silver E86 Coupe with Amarone interior | 1990 Mini Cooper | 2017 Golf GTi

mr.tourette
Lifer
Lifer

Washer Filter Blocked??

Post by mr.tourette » Sat Jul 06, 2019 6:01 pm

Steradent.

siphon out :o legionnaires disease anyone? the bacteria in that tank must be off the charts
if its got tits or tyres..its trouble :D

ric19

Washer Filter Blocked??

Post by ric19 » Sat Jul 06, 2019 6:52 pm

It's possible to syphon water out without sucking..if the pipe is initially filed from a tap and both ends covered with thumbs and one end is lower than the other it will start the syphon..I has to show that to a plumber who was trying to drain our header tank ..red face from him

mcbutler

Washer Filter Blocked??

Post by mcbutler » Mon Jul 08, 2019 11:40 am

And in future use neat bottled screen wash, no muck in it..
Mark
Plymouth
E89
35i
Carmine Red
Black leather

mcbutler

Washer Filter Blocked??

Post by mcbutler » Mon Jul 08, 2019 11:42 am

mr.tourette wrote: Sat Jul 06, 2019 6:01 pm

Steradent.

siphon out :o legionnaires disease anyone? the bacteria in that tank must be off the charts
unlikely, legionella is nearly always inhaled which results in a pneumonia type infection.
Still, worth considering though I guess :-)
Mark
Plymouth
E89
35i
Carmine Red
Black leather

mr.tourette
Lifer
Lifer

Washer Filter Blocked??

Post by mr.tourette » Mon Jul 08, 2019 12:03 pm

mcbutler wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 11:42 am
mr.tourette wrote: Sat Jul 06, 2019 6:01 pm

Steradent.

unlikely, legionella is nearly always inhaled which results in a pneumonia type infection.
Still, worth considering though I guess :-)
you would not catch me siphoning out that water whether you could catch it or not..those tanks are breeding grounds with the warm engine providing perfect conditions for growth :thumbsup:
if its got tits or tyres..its trouble :D