Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Washer Filter Blocked??

RustyZ4
Lifer
Lifer

Washer Filter Blocked??

Post by RustyZ4 » Sat Jan 12, 2019 6:35 pm

Went to use my screen washers today, and to say all I got was a dribble, would sum it up, the bottle is full so obviously not that,

I have found a few threads on this, but just checking I have it right,,, there appears to be a filter by the pump on the bottle which becomes blocked, so my question, is it an easy job to do myself?

I would appreciate any advice if someone has done this,,

Thanks in advance :thumbsup:
Z4 Mineral Grey, 28i MSport Auto, lots of goodies
Z4 E85 3.0, gone but now with son :D
Growing Old is Mandatory But Growing Up is Optional

firebobby
Lifer
Lifer

Washer Filter Blocked??

Post by firebobby » Sat Jan 12, 2019 6:57 pm

RustyZ4 wrote: Sat Jan 12, 2019 6:35 pm Went to use my screen washers today, and to say all I got was a dribble, would sum it up, the bottle is full so obviously not that,

I have found a few threads on this, but just checking I have it right,,, there appears to be a filter by the pump on the bottle which becomes blocked, so my question, is it an easy job to do myself?

I would appreciate any advice if someone has done this,,

Thanks in advance :thumbsup:
I remember someone else had this problem and I think they removed the bottle and took the pump out to clean the filter..which was quite blocked. It was on here and the photos to show the muck on the filter.
I'm sure some clever dickie will be along soon with a link Rusty :thumbsup:
BMW Z4 30i 2003 auto 107's Whippy Toledo Blue
Beige M sport seats, wood dash
Toyota MR2 NA 1995
Triumph GT6 1972 (project)
Land Rover Discovery 1994 TDI (Tow car)
Mini 1000 1981

JimsZ

Washer Filter Blocked??

Post by JimsZ » Sat Jan 12, 2019 7:00 pm

Just done this for the third time in four years today. I should have taken some photos sorry!

Its really easy to do. If you go on youtube you may find a video walk through.

My advise is to absolutely flush out and clean the whole container too, I did what a mess in there.. Amazed how much sludge has built up.

:cry:

Sat in the car for 10 minutes after watching the wipers clean with the flood of water after :oops:

Found one, this should help...

https://youtu.be/XXNOi11txqo

:thumbsup:
Last edited by JimsZ on Sat Jan 12, 2019 7:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
E89/28i Msport gone :( .. Zx10r track bike gone… time for a KTM 350 exc-f and some green laning and dirt bike excursions…. Let’s see how this goes… : :evil:

RustyZ4
Lifer
Lifer

Washer Filter Blocked??

Post by RustyZ4 » Sat Jan 12, 2019 7:01 pm

Cheers guys, that's a thought I never thought of you tube :oops: and I searched on here, but guess im not putting the right words in search :oops:

JimsZ

Washer Filter Blocked??

Post by JimsZ » Sat Jan 12, 2019 7:07 pm

Just added a youtube video in my post above. Hope it helps.. :thumbsup:

There are two filters to clean so make sure you are careful when pulling the pumps out. Then pull the rubber thats left in the hole out carefully and the filters are attached.

Patience is your friend as the bits are plastic :D
E89/28i Msport gone :( .. Zx10r track bike gone… time for a KTM 350 exc-f and some green laning and dirt bike excursions…. Let’s see how this goes… : :evil:

RustyZ4
Lifer
Lifer

Washer Filter Blocked??

Post by RustyZ4 » Sat Jan 12, 2019 7:15 pm

JimsZ wrote: Sat Jan 12, 2019 7:07 pm Just added a youtube video in my post above. Hope it helps.. :thumbsup:

There are two filters to clean so make sure you are careful when pulling the pumps out. Then pull the rubber thats left in the hole out carefully and the filters are attached.

Cheers Jim :thumbsup:

JimsZ

Washer Filter Blocked??

Post by JimsZ » Sat Jan 12, 2019 7:34 pm

RustyZ4 wrote: Sat Jan 12, 2019 7:15 pm
JimsZ wrote: Sat Jan 12, 2019 7:07 pm Just added a youtube video in my post above. Hope it helps.. :thumbsup:

Cheers Jim :thumbsup:
Good luck, I hope it goes well. Mines 100% again so happy with the result :thumbsup:

noiseboy72

Washer Filter Blocked??

Post by noiseboy72 » Sat Jan 12, 2019 8:01 pm

Dead easy to do. I did mine at the end of the summer.

As the washer fluid will leak out, be ready to rinse out the engine bay as it might affect uncoated surfaces and smells a bit if it gets on hot surfaces.
E85 2.5si Sport in dark blue. Calibre CC S wheels

What could possibly go wrong!

RustyZ4
Lifer
Lifer

Washer Filter Blocked??

Post by RustyZ4 » Sat Jan 12, 2019 8:02 pm

Thanks all, lots of good advice :thumbsup:

ph001
Lifer
Lifer

Washer Filter Blocked??

Post by ph001 » Sat Jan 12, 2019 10:37 pm

If you are strapped for time you can blast most of it away just using a garden hose into the tank with a trigger spray head thing set to jet. Not as thorough as doing it properly as described above but can be done in 2 mins and you don’t have to remove anything. Just keep spraying until the bottle overflows and all the green crap comes out.
Last edited by ph001 on Sun Jan 13, 2019 12:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
2007 E85 Z4 3.0Si manual :driving:
19" CSL's | Eibach Springs | Aeroskirts | Z4M front bumper | Clear brake light | ZHP | RCH+| Stubby

2004 E46 M3 coupe manual - gone but not forgotten.

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Washer Filter Blocked??

Post by Mr Tidy » Sat Jan 12, 2019 11:23 pm

Not sure what access is like on an E89, but it was an easy job on my E46 and E86 - seems to be a common problem with BMWs! :(

A quick flush might help, but most of the gunge on mine was stuck to the filters on the washer pumps so I'd at least pull them out and clean the filters up.

I did my Z4 2 and a half years ago and haven't had a problem since - but I only ever use the same brand of screen-wash. Mixing brands seems to contribute to the problem.
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

R.E92

Washer Filter Blocked??

Post by R.E92 » Mon Jan 14, 2019 5:40 pm

Mr Tidy wrote: Sat Jan 12, 2019 11:23 pm I did my Z4 2 and a half years ago and haven't had a problem since - but I only ever use the same brand of screen-wash. Mixing brands seems to contribute to the problem.
You got it. The problem comes from mixing different types of screenwash.

BMW use a different chemical to most other screenwash. The best thing to do is buy a 5L bottle of the BMW stuff from the dealer and top it up yourself. If you go and buy some supermarket screenwash and then it goes into BMW for a service and they top it off with some BMW brand stuff you end up with clogged washers and a tank full of gunk.

Nictrix
Lifer
Lifer

Washer Filter Blocked??

Post by Nictrix » Mon Jan 14, 2019 9:08 pm

JimsZ wrote: Sat Jan 12, 2019 7:00 pm Just done this for the third time in four years today. I should have taken some photos sorry!

My advise is to absolutely flush out and clean the whole container too, I did what a mess in there.. Amazed how much sludge has built up.

Sat in the car for 10 minutes after watching the wipers clean with the flood of water after :oops:

Why have you had to do it so often?
We have not had to touch ours in the 5 years we have owned it and we don't use BMWs stuff either.
We use stuff from Halfords that must be mixed with water to dilute.
Is it something to so with water hardness?
On a similar note though after we bought the X6 the headlight washers were not retracting fully and after stripping them down they were pretty gunky, it came from Peterborough.
E89 2014 35i M Sport Black with Black leather :)

JimsZ

Washer Filter Blocked??

Post by JimsZ » Mon Jan 14, 2019 10:36 pm

Nictrix wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 9:08 pm
JimsZ wrote: Sat Jan 12, 2019 7:00 pm Just done this for the third time in four years today. I should have taken some photos sorry!

Why have you had to do it so often?
We have not had to touch ours in the 5 years we have owned it and we don't use BMWs stuff either.
We use stuff from Halfords that must be mixed with water to dilute.
Is it something to so with water hardness?
On a similar note though after we bought the X6 the headlight washers were not retracting fully and after stripping them down they were pretty gunky, it came from Peterborough.
Good point, my rationale... :?

1st time, i cleaned filters only
2nd time, had it done at the service and the garage did it
3rd time, I stripped it down and flushed out the tank thoroughly, I am hoping this will last a good few years.

Tank flush was not done on the 1st two cleans so my thoughts are after me switching to Halfords (Easier to buy) the garage used a different brand so probably started the cycle again.

Cant think of any other reason why tbh :rofl:

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Washer Filter Blocked??

Post by Mr Tidy » Mon Jan 14, 2019 11:15 pm

R.E92 wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 5:40 pm
Mr Tidy wrote: Sat Jan 12, 2019 11:23 pm I did my Z4 2 and a half years ago and haven't had a problem since - but I only ever use the same brand of screen-wash. Mixing brands seems to contribute to the problem.
You got it. The problem comes from mixing different types of screenwash.

BMW use a different chemical to most other screenwash. The best thing to do is buy a 5L bottle of the BMW stuff from the dealer and top it up yourself. If you go and buy some supermarket screenwash and then it goes into BMW for a service and they top it off with some BMW brand stuff you end up with clogged washers and a tank full of gunk.
BMW stuff. :o I've only ever used cheapy Prestone screen-wash from Tesco since I cleaned it all out. Did the same with my E46 and that worked for 3 years until I sold it.

Seeing as my Z4 won't ever be going to a BMW dealer it won't get topped up with their "snake-potion"!

Although I did buy some of the BMW branded stuff for my E91 as it has full BMW service history up to 132K miles, and the reservoir is hidden in a front wheel-arch!
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black