Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Starter failure do not stop engine!

pbr67_zed

Post by pbr67_zed » Thu Jan 03, 2019 10:47 am

Had a bit of a car related nightmare this morning.

Firstly, as my daughters Mini hadn't been used for a couple of weeks, I thought I'd give it a run into work before she needs it again. Started on the button, pulled off the drive - loud clonking which increased with speed. It was 7 am, cold and dark, so didn't fancy trying to find out what it was, just turned around and put it back in the garage to look at later.

Second attempt to drive to work was in the zed - again, started on the button, immediately followed by the message "Starter failure do not stop engine". After sitting there swearing loudly for a couple of minutes, I took the plunge and switched off! Tried again and it started, immediately followed by the same message.

Not wanting to be stuck at work I resorted to the trusty Volvo!

Anyone seen this message before? I'm hoping that it's a doom laden warning of likely failure rather than a "You're totally f***ed" message, so I'm going to book it into to my local independent, and hope that it starts when I go to take it in.

Smartbear
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Smartbear » Thu Jan 03, 2019 10:53 am

pbr67_zed wrote: Thu Jan 03, 2019 10:47 am Had a bit of a car related nightmare this morning.

Firstly, as my daughters Mini hadn't been used for a couple of weeks, I thought I'd give it a run into work before she needs it again. Started on the button, pulled off the drive - loud clonking which increased with speed. It was 7 am, cold and dark, so didn't fancy trying to find out what it was, just turned around and put it back in the garage to look at later.

Second attempt to drive to work was in the zed - again, started on the button, immediately followed by the message "Starter failure do not stop engine". After sitting there swearing loudly for a couple of minutes, I took the plunge and switched off! Tried again and it started, immediately followed by the same message.

Not wanting to be stuck at work I resorted to the trusty Volvo!

Anyone seen this message before? I'm hoping that it's a doom laden warning of likely failure rather than a "You're totally f***ed" message, so I'm going to book it into to my local independent, and hope that it starts when I go to take it in.
Hi, how old is your battery? It seems a lot of strange warnings can appear with a sub-optimal battery, they seem very sensitive to voltages :?
Rob

e89 Sdrive 20i, plenty of mumbo & good economy-the thinking bears z4
e89 Sdrive 30i, this ones busted, pass me another...
e85 3.0si sold

Busterboo

Post by Busterboo » Thu Jan 03, 2019 10:58 am

Low (by E89 requirements) battery?
Vidi, vici, veni

pbr67_zed

Post by pbr67_zed » Thu Jan 03, 2019 11:12 am

Smartbear wrote: Thu Jan 03, 2019 10:53 am
Hi, how old is your battery? It seems a lot of strange warnings can appear with a sub-optimal battery, they seem very sensitive to voltages :?
Rob
Guessing the battery is the original - car is a 2011 23i which I've had for about 14 months.

I have noticed a very occasional "shriek" after a cold start which I think is probably the starter not disengaging properly.

I'll get both checked when I take it in!

ph001
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ph001 » Thu Jan 03, 2019 11:14 am

I bet that is battery related. I’d be fitting a new battery and investing in a trickle charger if you have it laid up for more than a week or so.
2007 E85 Z4 3.0Si manual :driving:
19" CSL's | Eibach Springs | Aeroskirts | Z4M front bumper | Clear brake light | ZHP | RCH+| Stubby

2004 E46 M3 coupe manual - gone but not forgotten.

pbr67_zed

Post by pbr67_zed » Thu Jan 03, 2019 4:54 pm

ph001 wrote: Thu Jan 03, 2019 11:14 am I bet that is battery related. I’d be fitting a new battery and investing in a trickle charger if you have it laid up for more than a week or so.
The thing is, that it was absolutely fine yesterday, having been stood for 3 days without being used. I suppose the battery could be getting a bit borderline, and a cold-ish night was enough to push it over the edge.

GuidoK
Lifer
Lifer

Post by GuidoK » Thu Jan 03, 2019 5:18 pm

I think its very very prematurely to ascribe this problem to the battery without even measuring idle voltage or stop voltage :roll:

As for the mini... that sounds more serious.
Z4 3.0i | ESS TS2+ | Quaife ATB LSD | Brembo/BMW performance BBK front/rear | Schrick FI cams | Schmiedmann headers+cats | fully polybushed | Vibra-technics engine mounts | H&R anti rollbars | KW V3 coilovers | Sachs Race Engineering clutch

pbr67_zed

Post by pbr67_zed » Thu Jan 03, 2019 8:48 pm

GuidoK wrote: Thu Jan 03, 2019 5:18 pm I think its very very prematurely to ascribe this problem to the battery without even measuring idle voltage or stop voltage :roll:

As for the mini... that sounds more serious.
Looking like the battery is the likely culprit - measured 12.03V at the battery when I got home this evening. Took it out for 20 minute drive and measured 14.85V at idle. Was at 12.45V immediately after I switched off. Interestingly message didn’t reappear when I started up this evening. Will give it a good charge over the weekend and see how it goes.

Leaving the Mini investigation until the weekend!

ph001
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ph001 » Fri Jan 04, 2019 12:13 am

12.03V is less than half charged so it looks like it’s well down on capacity. You really need to give it a full 24hrs on a charger then measure the voltage again after the car has been stood a day. It should be >12.4V
2007 E85 Z4 3.0Si manual :driving:
19" CSL's | Eibach Springs | Aeroskirts | Z4M front bumper | Clear brake light | ZHP | RCH+| Stubby

2004 E46 M3 coupe manual - gone but not forgotten.

GuidoK
Lifer
Lifer

Post by GuidoK » Fri Jan 04, 2019 1:27 am

He can also have a ghost current and that the battery is just very empty.
Z4 3.0i | ESS TS2+ | Quaife ATB LSD | Brembo/BMW performance BBK front/rear | Schrick FI cams | Schmiedmann headers+cats | fully polybushed | Vibra-technics engine mounts | H&R anti rollbars | KW V3 coilovers | Sachs Race Engineering clutch