Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Sounds like front end loose, about to fall off.

Crazy Harry

Post by Crazy Harry » Tue Jan 22, 2019 8:48 am

enzed4 wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 1:19 am Some better news: Turns out the 3 month delay was because gas shocks are treated as dangerous cargo and need special documentation etc to ship from Germany to NZ.
Since they're only sending replacement shafts there's no gas involved, and the turnaround time is now estimated at about 3 weeks.
While it's sitting at the shop I've asked them to replace the spark plugs as it's on 77,000km and spark plugs usually replaced around 80-100,000km.
Air filters were washed and oiled before it went into the shop, and I'll probably give it an oil and filter change when I get it back.
Might be able to start enjoying it then :lol:
(Although, the rear tyres seem a bit rubbish - I bought them cheap second hand and they don't seem to grip very well. Time for some new ones I think).
Thats a far more encouraging time scale - is that for delivery of the shafts or the car back in your hands?

enzed4
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enzed4 » Tue Jan 22, 2019 8:15 pm

Crazy Harry wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 8:48 am
enzed4 wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 1:19 am Some better news: Turns out the 3 month delay was because gas shocks are treated as dangerous cargo and need special documentation etc to ship from Germany to NZ.
Since they're only sending replacement shafts there's no gas involved, and the turnaround time is now estimated at about 3 weeks.
While it's sitting at the shop I've asked them to replace the spark plugs as it's on 77,000km and spark plugs usually replaced around 80-100,000km.
Air filters were washed and oiled before it went into the shop, and I'll probably give it an oil and filter change when I get it back.
Might be able to start enjoying it then :lol:
(Although, the rear tyres seem a bit rubbish - I bought them cheap second hand and they don't seem to grip very well. Time for some new ones I think).
Thats a far more encouraging time scale - is that for delivery of the shafts or the car back in your hands?
I suspect it will be 3 weeks to get them to the company that are reassembling the shocks, then another day or two to get them shipped to the mechanic for installation on the car.
Gone: 2010 35i DCT
Gone: 2008 2.5Si Sport

enzed4
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enzed4 » Fri Feb 01, 2019 1:18 am

Small update. Just waiting on confirmation that the suspension gear is on the way from Germany.
I popped into the workshop on the way back from another job today and spotted the Zed on axle stands in a workshop bay. Apparently they haven't moved it since removing the suspension so it has been sat snug and dry inside since they've had it. Nice :)

enzed4
Lifer
Lifer

Post by enzed4 » Sat Feb 23, 2019 8:19 am

Great news. Got the car back yesterday :D
Had a bit of worry the day before: The workshop called and said when they pulled the spark plugs to replace them, they were very oily. Sure enough, they checked and found a leak in the rocker cover gasket. Several hours more labour (which I'm hoping the car dealer will sort) and I have the rocker cover gasket replaced and 6 new spark plugs, as well as the original job of the refurbished front suspension.
Drives noticeably better now, none of the clunking of before.
Hopefully there's enough summer left (or a mild autumn) to get some driving in with the top down :thumbsup:

Smartbear
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Smartbear » Sat Feb 23, 2019 10:17 am

enzed4 wrote: Sat Feb 23, 2019 8:19 am Great news. Got the car back yesterday :D
Had a bit of worry the day before: The workshop called and said when they pulled the spark plugs to replace them, they were very oily. Sure enough, they checked and found a leak in the rocker cover gasket. Several hours more labour (which I'm hoping the car dealer will sort) and I have the rocker cover gasket replaced and 6 new spark plugs, as well as the original job of the refurbished front suspension.
Drives noticeably better now, none of the clunking of before.
Hopefully there's enough summer left (or a mild autumn) to get some driving in with the top down :thumbsup:
Good news, get out & post some pics for us 8)
Rob

e89 Sdrive 20i, plenty of mumbo & good economy-the thinking bears z4
e89 Sdrive 30i, this ones busted, pass me another...
e85 3.0si sold