Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Good News Bad News

Barneybee

Good News Bad News

Post by Barneybee » Fri Nov 23, 2018 8:57 am

I have been trying to update my Sat Nav maps for a month now. No help from BMW, just told to try again later.
Well being persistent I thought I would try again today. Started the downloader a message appears, Downloader being updated, yes, at last progress.
When the update finished I started the process, chose my car and map and pressed the go button.

Well guess what, its just the same as before a blue circle trying to catch its tail.

Looks like they still don't know what they are doing. Anyone had any more success? :x
Never drive faster than your angels can fly

2016 E89 SDrive 2.0i MSport Auto Valencia Orange

Phoenixboy

Good News Bad News

Post by Phoenixboy » Fri Nov 23, 2018 10:26 am

Barneybee wrote: Fri Nov 23, 2018 8:57 am I have been trying to update my Sat Nav maps for a month now. No help from BMW, just told to try again later.
Well being persistent I thought I would try again today. Started the downloader a message appears, Downloader being updated, yes, at last progress.
When the update finished I started the process, chose my car and map and pressed the go button.

Well guess what, its just the same as before a blue circle trying to catch its tail.

Looks like they still don't know what they are doing. Anyone had any more success? :x
Another reason I was not bothered about nav on mine :roll:
it seems its an outdated system, and would cause me constant frustration.
for the rare time I need sat nav, the garmin is in the glovebox and works every time.
E89 s drive 30i manual/gone
space grey
Carbon interior trim
19" Veeman FS 25`s
cruise control
m sport seats
stubby
led halo bulbs
z4 forum sticker, for added power.
OEM wind deflector
Gone, E85 Ruby Black.

Barneybee

Good News Bad News

Post by Barneybee » Fri Nov 23, 2018 11:16 am

Tend to agree, google maps does me ok.
This is just a matter of principle, the map option has been paid for therefore I'm going to make sure they fullfil their obligation.
Fired off another email today, lets see what they come up with next.
Never drive faster than your angels can fly

2016 E89 SDrive 2.0i MSport Auto Valencia Orange

flybobbie
Lifer
Lifer

Good News Bad News

Post by flybobbie » Fri Nov 23, 2018 11:23 am

Never updated my 2009 car, but the sat nav is useless, as you are limited to only four digits on the post code.
End up resorting to Navmii to find specific places.
And locally roads that have been around more than 10 years don't show.

buzyg
Legend
Legend

Good News Bad News

Post by buzyg » Fri Nov 23, 2018 6:38 pm

Used my Nav twice in 7 1/2 years. :lol:

It is tosh :oops:

Zed Baron

Good News Bad News

Post by Zed Baron » Fri Nov 23, 2018 6:54 pm

flybobbie wrote: Fri Nov 23, 2018 11:23 am Never updated my 2009 car, but the sat nav is useless, as you are limited to only four digits on the post code.
End up resorting to Navmii to find specific places.
And locally roads that have been around more than 10 years don't show.
I updated my 2009 sat nav software last year (you get the full postcode now). I find it ok (for technology thats 9 years old), Im not keen on things stuck to the windscreen and cables trailing over the dash.

Lil_g_1234

Good News Bad News

Post by Lil_g_1234 » Fri Nov 23, 2018 8:50 pm

Sat nav is a must if you ask me. Firstly because who an earths buys a 40k car (brand new price) without nav. And BMW’s, the z4 especially, looks so empty without it. Filling the nav screen and controls with cubby holes just looks like a cop out. Mine has the 7 digit postcode and seems to work fine. Traffic updates could be better. But as mentioned above, it’s 8 year old tech now
Z4 3.0l - gone
650i - gone
Z4 35is - gone
M4 - Current

JimsZ

Good News Bad News

Post by JimsZ » Sat Nov 24, 2018 12:42 am

Cant really fault the Nav on mine, its a 2012 and always gave the A200 Mercedes (2107) a run for its money in user friendliness and I even prefer it over the newer Nav in a 2018 X3... so far.

Would love to update it but seeing all the troubles and drama going on to get it done it would appear its best left alone... :?
E89/28i Msport gone :( .. Zx10r track bike gone… time for a KTM 350 exc-f and some green laning and dirt bike excursions…. Let’s see how this goes… : :evil:

Busterboo

Good News Bad News

Post by Busterboo » Sat Nov 24, 2018 2:16 am

I'm surprised how well my old '3 or 4 digits of the postcode + name the road' works.
Vidi, vici, veni

Busterboo

Good News Bad News

Post by Busterboo » Sat Nov 24, 2018 2:24 am

I asked a colleague if she used satnav and she replied, 'No, I never drive anywhere I haven't driven before.'

(Yes, she's Irish, but I'm sure that's entirely coincidental.)
Vidi, vici, veni

Carl69

Good News Bad News

Post by Carl69 » Sat Nov 24, 2018 6:29 am

Having exactly the same problem. I have spoken to the unhelpful customer service department and e mailed as well . Still waiting for a reply.🤔

djstan

Good News Bad News

Post by djstan » Sat Nov 24, 2018 10:02 am

I'm surprised by the amount of people who slate the nav in the Z4; I think it's absolutely fine - certainly better than the nav that I had in my old Audi A6, which was 'OK'...
10-plate E89 35i, Deep Sea Blue
67-plate F15 X5 35d, Space Grey

road warrior

Good News Bad News

Post by road warrior » Sat Nov 24, 2018 10:14 am

Sadly I have to agree, having always wanted a built in Sat Nav, the wife has one in her passat, and I have always had my Tom Tom. But now I have the BMW satnav I have to say it's rubbish, clunky and slow and a big disappointment. :(
With almost constant updates from Tom Tom and users, time distance and automatically re routeing with full postcode and Steven fry It takes me all over Europe and while I hate the wires etc. It will stay my satnav of choice.
Having said that my wife has an old Garmin she favours, and when we are in the motor home. We have cygic on a 10 inch tablet,my .tom Tom and her Garmin and play the rule of whichever 2 sat Navs agree = that's the way we go.. Lots of fun :rofl:
If you ever think I'm off my rocker.. Just put me back in it and walk away... It's the kindest thing
My wife says I never listen - or something like that.
gone but not forgotton -Mean Steve - made a sound like a bear with his nuts in a trap.

Phoenixboy

Good News Bad News

Post by Phoenixboy » Sat Nov 24, 2018 10:45 am

road warrior wrote: Sat Nov 24, 2018 10:14 am Sadly I have to agree, having always wanted a built in Sat Nav, the wife has one in her passat, and I have always had my Tom Tom. But now I have the BMW satnav I have to say it's rubbish, clunky and slow and a big disappointment. :(
With almost constant updates from Tom Tom and users, time distance and automatically re routeing with full postcode and Steven fry It takes me all over Europe and while I hate the wires etc. It will stay my satnav of choice.
Having said that my wife has an old Garmin she favours, and when we are in the motor home. We have cygic on a 10 inch tablet,my .tom Tom and her Garmin and play the rule of whichever 2 sat Navs agree = that's the way we go.. Lots of fun :rofl:
like your style :rofl:
E89 s drive 30i manual/gone
space grey
Carbon interior trim
19" Veeman FS 25`s
cruise control
m sport seats
stubby
led halo bulbs
z4 forum sticker, for added power.
OEM wind deflector
Gone, E85 Ruby Black.

road warrior

Good News Bad News

Post by road warrior » Sat Nov 24, 2018 11:17 am

GRINS
If you ever think I'm off my rocker.. Just put me back in it and walk away... It's the kindest thing
My wife says I never listen - or something like that.
gone but not forgotton -Mean Steve - made a sound like a bear with his nuts in a trap.