Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Phone pairing problem

obewan

Phone pairing problem

Post by obewan » Tue Nov 20, 2018 8:09 pm

Hi John
Apologies if I've not grasped the issue or what you've tried
I have an old iPod under the arm rest connected with a Y cable (aux and USB)
Just tried it with my iPhone 6s and it works perfectly - steering wheel controls change track/volume
I haven't got iDrive so phone is only paired for calls
E89 2.0 SDrive MSport
Honda CB500F.
Gone but not forgotten E85 2.0 MSport

Lazza

Phone pairing problem

Post by Lazza » Tue Nov 20, 2018 10:45 pm

obewan wrote: Tue Nov 20, 2018 8:09 pm Hi John
Just tried it with my iPhone 6s and it works perfectly - steering wheel controls change track/volume
2010 doesn’t have the usb in the glove box. 3.5mm only. OP has the snap in adapter though but I don’t think he can get it to play music controlled by the cars controls.
Did I get that right?
Z4 S-Drive 35i
Audi TT S-line
Mazda MX5 Mk2.5 (for sale)
Wokingham Berkshire

obewan

Phone pairing problem

Post by obewan » Tue Nov 20, 2018 10:51 pm

Lazza wrote: Tue Nov 20, 2018 10:45 pm
2010 doesn’t have the usb in the glove box. 3.5mm only. OP has the snap in adapter though but I don’t think he can get it to play music controlled by the cars controls.
Did I get that right?
Ah right, got it - thanks
E89 2.0 SDrive MSport
Honda CB500F.
Gone but not forgotten E85 2.0 MSport

Zed Baron

Phone pairing problem

Post by Zed Baron » Wed Nov 21, 2018 1:22 am

long shot here... Ive got a 2009 E89 with 3.5mm jack in arm rest and usb power socket (and idrive), when I first got the car I had iPhone 4s, the adaptor connected straight into the bottom of the phone and I could play music, the 5s needed a new adaptor and the standard BMW one didn't work on my car had to buy one off Amazon with extra aux cable that plugged into the headphone socket on the phone

Angie4m
Lifer
Lifer

Phone pairing problem

Post by Angie4m » Wed Nov 21, 2018 9:56 am

Did I get that right?
Two things here the post mentions arm rest USB and all E89s have that along with the 3.5mm jack point for which you need the Y-Cable if using the iPhone for music. You can however upload music onto a USB and then use this for music using the USB in the arm rest.

On the topic of the USB in the glove box, actually this was an option so some cars do have it but is used for uploading data to the built in hard drive to which you could upload your music collection and play from there. There is no other 3.5mm jack apart from in the arm rest.

So the issue here isn’t that the phone is not pairing I.e. via Bluetooth as the phone is paired to the car for calls, it’s that music isn’t being played. I assume on the idrive under media the phone name is not listed? If not then I’d probably look at trying a different Y-Cable incase your one has developed a fault. Maybe try with someone else? If you were closer I would have loaned you mines as I know that was working (with a apple adapter for the 8) when I used it last month.
Deep Sea Blue sDrive35is - I LOVE IT! Best car I've ever owned :) - Gone
RRS V8 Supercharged - Gone
Abarth 595 Competizione - Gone
Yas Marina Blue M4 Coupe - Gone

Current:
Protonic Blue i8
Amethyst 997
F56 JCW Challenge (19 of 52)

Still Shy and retiring

Phoenixboy

Phone pairing problem

Post by Phoenixboy » Wed Nov 21, 2018 10:21 am

Angie4m wrote: Wed Nov 21, 2018 9:56 am
Did I get that right?
sorry to jump in on this one as I am a techno dinosaur who listens to the radio and cd in my e89, but am I right in saying if I get my daughter to put music on a usb stick and plug it in under the armrest it will play through my radio?

Two things here the post mentions arm rest USB and all E89s have that along with the 3.5mm jack point for which you need the Y-Cable if using the iPhone for music. You can however upload music onto a USB and then use this for music using the USB in the arm rest.

On the topic of the USB in the glove box, actually this was an option so some cars do have it but is used for uploading data to the built in hard drive to which you could upload your music collection and play from there. There is no other 3.5mm jack apart from in the arm rest.

So the issue here isn’t that the phone is not pairing I.e. via Bluetooth as the phone is paired to the car for calls, it’s that music isn’t being played. I assume on the idrive under media the phone name is not listed? If not then I’d probably look at trying a different Y-Cable incase your one has developed a fault. Maybe try with someone else? If you were closer I would have loaned you mines as I know that was working (with a apple adapter for the 8) when I used it last month.
E89 s drive 30i manual/gone
space grey
Carbon interior trim
19" Veeman FS 25`s
cruise control
m sport seats
stubby
led halo bulbs
z4 forum sticker, for added power.
OEM wind deflector
Gone, E85 Ruby Black.

Angie4m
Lifer
Lifer

Phone pairing problem

Post by Angie4m » Wed Nov 21, 2018 11:47 am

Phoenixboy wrote: Wed Nov 21, 2018 10:21 am
sorry to jump in on this one as I am a techno dinosaur who listens to the radio and cd in my e89, but am I right in saying if I get my daughter to put music on a usb stick and plug it in under the armrest it will play through my radio?
No need to apologise. Yes indeed that is exactly what you can do.

You’ll find more information on page 162 of the handbook.
Deep Sea Blue sDrive35is - I LOVE IT! Best car I've ever owned :) - Gone
RRS V8 Supercharged - Gone
Abarth 595 Competizione - Gone
Yas Marina Blue M4 Coupe - Gone

Current:
Protonic Blue i8
Amethyst 997
F56 JCW Challenge (19 of 52)

Still Shy and retiring

Tinker15

Phone pairing problem

Post by Tinker15 » Wed Nov 21, 2018 1:22 pm

“Two things here the post mentions arm rest USB and all E89s have that along with the 3.5mm jack point for which you need the Y-Cable if using the iPhone for music. You can however upload music onto a USB and then use this for music using the USB in the arm rest.

On the topic of the USB in the glove box, actually this was an option so some cars do have it but is used for uploading data to the built in hard drive to which you could upload your music collection and play from there. There is no other 3.5mm jack apart from in the arm rest. ”

My early 2010 has no USB in the armrest only the 3.5mm jack. I’ve paired my iPhone 8 via Bluetooth but as I expected you can’t play music using this method. It has transferred over my contacts to the iDrive system. The iPhone 8 has no headphone jack so I use a Lightning to 3.5mm cable to play music. You can control the volume through the steering wheel controls.

My car has a USB point in the glove box but it isn’t exactly easy to find. If some e89s don’t have a USB point how do they upgrade the sat nav maps?
Attachments
6A422FAD-0E7D-4125-9EE0-E3FCD69BB4DF.jpeg
6A422FAD-0E7D-4125-9EE0-E3FCD69BB4DF.jpeg (36.96 KiB) Viewed 1400 times
E89 sDrive 30i
Jaguar XF 3.0D
TVR Chimaera 450 (now sold)

Zed Baron

Phone pairing problem

Post by Zed Baron » Wed Nov 21, 2018 2:12 pm

Tinker15 wrote: Wed Nov 21, 2018 1:22 pm “Two things here the post mentions arm rest USB and all E89s have that along with the 3.5mm jack point for which you need the Y-Cable if using the iPhone for music. You can however upload music onto a USB and then use this for music using the USB in the arm rest.

On the topic of the USB in the glove box, actually this was an option so some cars do have it but is used for uploading data to the built in hard drive to which you could upload your music collection and play from there. There is no other 3.5mm jack apart from in the arm rest. ”

My early 2010 has no USB in the armrest only the 3.5mm jack. I’ve paired my iPhone 8 via Bluetooth but as I expected you can’t play music using this method. It has transferred over my contacts to the iDrive system. The iPhone 8 has no headphone jack so I use a Lightning to 3.5mm cable to play music. You can control the volume through the steering wheel controls.

My car has a USB point in the glove box but it isn’t exactly easy to find. If some e89s don’t have a USB point how do they upgrade the sat nav maps?
Ive been out to the garage and had a look at mine and its exactly the same, except its got a BMW USB adaptor in the power socket (only supplies power no data transfer). I don't know if this is the case for the newer cars, thats why I had to get the Y-cable with the extra aux lead

Phoenixboy

Phone pairing problem

Post by Phoenixboy » Wed Nov 21, 2018 2:36 pm

Zed Baron wrote: Wed Nov 21, 2018 2:12 pm
Tinker15 wrote: Wed Nov 21, 2018 1:22 pm “Two things here the post mentions arm rest USB and all E89s have that along with the 3.5mm jack point for which you need the Y-Cable if using the iPhone for music. You can however upload music onto a USB and then use this for music using the USB in the arm rest.

Ive been out to the garage and had a look at mine and its exactly the same, except its got a BMW USB adaptor in the power socket (only supplies power no data transfer). I don't know if this is the case for the newer cars, thats why I had to get the Y-cable with the extra aux lead
[/quote
so the usb under the armrest is only for charging and will not transfer music from usb stick?
if that's the case,as much use as a chocolate teapot.
E89 s drive 30i manual/gone
space grey
Carbon interior trim
19" Veeman FS 25`s
cruise control
m sport seats
stubby
led halo bulbs
z4 forum sticker, for added power.
OEM wind deflector
Gone, E85 Ruby Black.

Tinker15

Phone pairing problem

Post by Tinker15 » Wed Nov 21, 2018 4:15 pm

Zed Baron wrote: Wed Nov 21, 2018 2:12 pm
Tinker15 wrote: Wed Nov 21, 2018 1:22 pm

Yup. The USB adaptor in the power socket is purely for charging it has no other function. If you have one of the newer iPhones without the headphone socket then you need something like this https://www.amazon.co.uk/Luvfun-Adapter ... B07J57W8PK if you want to listen to music and charge your phone at the same time.
E89 sDrive 30i
Jaguar XF 3.0D

Tinker15

Phone pairing problem

Post by Tinker15 » Wed Nov 21, 2018 5:28 pm

@Phoenixboy

[/quote
so the usb under the armrest is only for charging and will not transfer music from usb stick?
if that's the case,as much use as a chocolate teapot.
[/quote]

There is the proper USB input next to the Aux socket is this the one you mean?
E89 sDrive 30i
Jaguar XF 3.0D

john-e89
Lifer
Lifer

Phone pairing problem

Post by john-e89 » Wed Nov 21, 2018 8:04 pm

Many thanks for all the replies folks.. :thumbsup:

My car has both USB and Aux in jack under the armrest, I’m currently using a 3.5mm lead which plays music but I can’t use the steering wheel controls as Tinker quite rightly says for track skipping. I’m still at a loss as to why the BMW OEM docking station which IS charging the phone won’t play music, I didn’t have any bother with the last E89. The idrive screen says iPhone paired for calls but if you switch to media and external devices it says NOT SUPPORTED..... :scratchhead: At the moment I’ve no service as I’ve ended my contract with Vodafone and now waiting for the new O2 one to kick in but this shouldn’t make any difference as all the info and music etc has been transferred over to the new iPhone 5SE, and indeed plays through the Aux lead.

I can’t figure out why the idrive is saying not supported... :idunno:
M roady...OEM CSL’s, strut brace, Remus back boxes, ZHP
MR2 MK 2
E89 35i project car...mapped 365bhp, M4 stoppers & wheels, KWV3’s, H&R front ARB, M3 front arms, strut brace Eisenmann cat back race exhaust, VRSF downpipes inbound
E89 35is
G29

Loxford

Phone pairing problem

Post by Loxford » Sat Jul 20, 2019 12:54 pm

HI,
I note your using an iphone 6.
I'm not concerned with playing music so much as using the my iphone 6 for calls.

I've paired it. It receives calls.
I can make calls only by tapping in the number on the radio functions. Not advisable and so fiddly, I'd need to stop the car.
It appears to have only transferred the first number from my phone's contacts during pairing.

I've a 2011 model, not officially compatible I know, but have you found a way of getting the contacts transferred to the car system?
Getting it to work properly?

Many thx

Regards

G