Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Vibration when changed to standard tyres

ls19

Post by ls19 » Fri Nov 09, 2018 1:21 pm

Hi All,

Long time browser but only second time posting (1st was related to the soft close wiring issue in the boot with this forum help me resolve). Once again I find I need some help.

I have changed my tyres on my 35i from run flats to Goodyear Eagle F1's (with alignment and wheel balancing) around 3/4 months ago. I have noticed since this change i get some vibration through the steering wheel and brakes on certain roads. When driving this can be just through the steering wheel and under braking it will come through the pedal as well. Now for the tricky bit i can not get it to repeat if i try unless i am on the roads i know where it does it. I've put it on a break tester to see if the discs are warped but again there was very minimal difference on either side so doesn't seems to be the issue. Also under heavy braking on some roads no feedback is given. It seems odd but it happens on too many roads for me to think it can just be a results of these certain roads which to the eye don't seem much different.

Has anyone got any experience or ideas on what this could be? Failing this i have it booked in for rear brakes on the 21st Nov so they can have quick look over the front brake and suspension set up then. Main thing i can think to try now is switch a friend identical wheels with runflats on to mine again and see if the vibration is still there.

Thanks in advance.

djstan

Post by djstan » Fri Nov 09, 2018 3:26 pm

What tyres have you gone for? It’s a long shot, but are they directional (and are they on the correct way?)

Edit: scratch that, just re-read the original post - can’t remember what the F1s are though..
10-plate E89 35i, Deep Sea Blue
67-plate F15 X5 35d, Space Grey

ls19

Post by ls19 » Fri Nov 09, 2018 5:04 pm

Thanks, had a look when I got home and they are fitted fine. The tyre pressures have been ok the last couple of months as well.

john-e89
Lifer
Lifer

Post by john-e89 » Fri Nov 09, 2018 10:18 pm

Had a good think about this and all I can come up with is changing from the rock solid runflats, which perhaps have wear on them, and next to no feel, to premium non run flats, have highlighted issues in the roads you mention that previously were hidden by the run flats. If you’re not getting your issues on roads you’re not using all the time then that perhaps tells the story, ie, don’t worry, it’s just the roads you know have issues and not your car. There is a section of road near me that rattles my teeth fillings, but it’s that particular stretch of....tarmac...I say that in its most loosed term, not the car. :thumbsup: :driving:
M roady...OEM CSL’s, strut brace, Remus back boxes, ZHP
MR2 MK 2
E89 35i project car...mapped 365bhp, M4 stoppers & wheels, KWV3’s, H&R front ARB, M3 front arms, strut brace Eisenmann cat back race exhaust, VRSF downpipes inbound
E89 35is
G29

ls19

Post by ls19 » Sat Nov 10, 2018 8:22 pm

Hopefully your right. I have been trying to figure this out for a while and still not got anywhere. Will keep thinking for now until it is in for the rear breaks in a couple of weeks and see if they can spot anything whilst it is on the ramps. Only thing I think is if the fronts are slightly warped it may be amplified on certain roads or as you say the normal tyres feel different. Thanks for thinking it over :thumbsup:

john-e89
Lifer
Lifer

Post by john-e89 » Sat Nov 10, 2018 11:51 pm

ls19 wrote: Sat Nov 10, 2018 8:22 pm Hopefully your right. I have been trying to figure this out for a while and still not got anywhere. Will keep thinking for now until it is in for the rear breaks in a couple of weeks and see if they can spot anything whilst it is on the ramps. Only thing I think is if the fronts are slightly warped it may be amplified on certain roads or as you say the normal tyres feel different. Thanks for thinking it over :thumbsup:
No problem. :thumbsup:

Only thing I’ll add is if the front brakes are warped then they’re warped, you'll feel it whatever the road surface. Plus you get the vibration when not braking so it’s not the discs. Would be worth having the car on some ramps and a good lever around on the suspension arm bushes for any play, plus the track rod ends, but as it’s only on certain roads I think it’s the transition to good rubber you’re not used to.
M roady...OEM CSL’s, strut brace, Remus back boxes, ZHP
MR2 MK 2
E89 35i project car...mapped 365bhp, M4 stoppers & wheels, KWV3’s, H&R front ARB, M3 front arms, strut brace Eisenmann cat back race exhaust, VRSF downpipes inbound
E89 35is
G29