Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

AC Whine

Kozach75

AC Whine

Post by Kozach75 » Sat Nov 03, 2018 9:07 am

Good Morning from Sunny Athens!

So as I started my car this morning (23i) I heard a whinning from the AC. it only occurs when I turn the ac on and off and only for a second. Its like something rubs plastic to plastic, I really don't know how to described it so I uploaded the below video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0gIbQs21rB0

When the music is on you cannot hear it. The ac works fine, sound occurs only when you switch on/off.

It could have been there before and just noticed it now, I only own the car for a month!!!

any advice or thoughts will be highly appreciated!!

buzyg
Legend
Legend

AC Whine

Post by buzyg » Sat Nov 03, 2018 11:54 am

Could be a blower motor bearing starting to go. Could be something sucked in to the system and rubbing on a fan.

Kozach75

AC Whine

Post by Kozach75 » Sat Nov 03, 2018 12:54 pm

Quick update,

Passed by an car ac shop and the confirmed ac is working perfectly. I worked the ac on all modes and all in good order. Aas usual, when at the shop the sound stopped.

The ac guy told me to just go and if it comes back to go check it again. Maybe when I ran the ac on different modes something unstuck or got warmed up and stopped.

I don't think I should Bother anymore.

thoughts any one?

road warrior

AC Whine

Post by road warrior » Sat Nov 03, 2018 1:39 pm

i will tell you a sad story.. once upon a time i had a lexus soarer 32, and i was in somewhere deep in europe and my aircon started to screech, this concerned me greatly as it was the height of summer i had already done spain at this point and it couldnt cope., anyway a screech started and of course stopped when i turned the ac off. sooo. i opened the windows and cooked for the rest of my holiday. on my return i took it a man, who said, i cant do anything with it as its the old gas, it will have to be converted, it cost a 1000 almost..
so i picked it up and the noise started again.. i said whats goin on ?? he said it aint thr ac mate.. thats fine.. so i took it away 1000 quid lighter and still got the squeal. i tracked it down to a pulley bearing - it cost 4 quid to replace..

soo.. pulley bearing, or belt or compressor ..

oh and yes.. my ac failed on my motorhome, nothing fitted.. turns out it was aftermarket fitter, the compressor came from a combined harvester the condensor from a range rover and dryer from a john deer tractor. :headbang:
If you ever think I'm off my rocker.. Just put me back in it and walk away... It's the kindest thing
My wife says I never listen - or something like that.
gone but not forgotton -Mean Steve - made a sound like a bear with his nuts in a trap.

Smartbear
Lifer
Lifer

AC Whine

Post by Smartbear » Sat Nov 03, 2018 3:42 pm

road warrior wrote: Sat Nov 03, 2018 1:39 pm i will tell you a sad story.. once upon a time i had a lexus soarer 32, and i was in somewhere deep in europe and my aircon started to screech, this concerned me greatly as it was the height of summer i had already done spain at this point and it couldnt cope., anyway a screech started and of course stopped when i turned the ac off. sooo. i opened the windows and cooked for the rest of my holiday. on my return i took it a man, who said, i cant do anything with it as its the old gas, it will have to be converted, it cost a 1000 almost..
so i picked it up and the noise started again.. i said whats goin on ?? he said it aint thr ac mate.. thats fine.. so i took it away 1000 quid lighter and still got the squeal. i tracked it down to a pulley bearing - it cost 4 quid to replace..

soo.. pulley bearing, or belt or compressor ..

oh and yes.. my ac failed on my motorhome, nothing fitted.. turns out it was aftermarket fitter, the compressor came from a combined harvester the condensor from a range rover and dryer from a john deer tractor. :headbang:
£1000 bill for unnecessary work? I’d have lost my cool even if the ac was working properly :cry:
Rob

e89 Sdrive 20i, plenty of mumbo & good economy-the thinking bears z4
e89 Sdrive 30i, this ones busted, pass me another...
e85 3.0si sold

Kozach75

AC Whine

Post by Kozach75 » Sat Nov 03, 2018 9:53 pm

So after googling a bit there might be a problem with my actuator which is located behind dash somewhere.

Did anyone face this issue?

From what I 've read the whole dash has to be removed to get to the area! The actuator is cheap but someone said that BMW asked for 1500usd to just remove and diagnose!

hope this is not the case.