Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

High Pressure Fuel Pump

Rathean

High Pressure Fuel Pump

Post by Rathean » Wed Oct 31, 2018 12:04 pm

So my 35i had been taking longer and longer to start in the mornings, and occasionally it'd have a bout of misfiring before correcting and driving perfectly.

The faitful morning it just wouldn't start, took forever and when it finally fired up it was seriously misfiring. It seemed to clear so I drove off but the mis-firing returned mid-journey. Managed to limp it through traffic and left it with my dealer.

After some expensive tyre-kicking they've diagnosed the High Pressure Fuel Pump failure. All sorted now but watch out for the above symptoms, nothing nice about jerking an expensive sports car through unsympathetic rush hour traffic :poke:
2011 X3 30d MSport black, 8-speed auto, leather everything
2011 Bimmer Z4 35i diamond black, 6-speed manual, full caboodle (hibernating) :driving:

Smartbear
Lifer
Lifer

High Pressure Fuel Pump

Post by Smartbear » Wed Oct 31, 2018 1:55 pm

Rathean wrote: Wed Oct 31, 2018 12:04 pm So my 35i had been taking longer and longer to start in the mornings, and occasionally it'd have a bout of misfiring before correcting and driving perfectly.

The faitful morning it just wouldn't start, took forever and when it finally fired up it was seriously misfiring. It seemed to clear so I drove off but the mis-firing returned mid-journey. Managed to limp it through traffic and left it with my dealer.

After some expensive tyre-kicking they've diagnosed the High Pressure Fuel Pump failure. All sorted now but watch out for the above symptoms, nothing nice about jerking an expensive sports car through unsympathetic rush hour traffic :poke:
Hi, was this covered by warranty or at your expense? What sort of cost was it? :?
Rob

e89 Sdrive 20i, plenty of mumbo & good economy-the thinking bears z4
e89 Sdrive 30i, this ones busted, pass me another...
e85 3.0si sold

Gazza51

High Pressure Fuel Pump

Post by Gazza51 » Wed Oct 31, 2018 6:04 pm

Did it throw up a light on the dash ?

Did it go into limp mode ?
Current - Z4 MC, M3 CSL, S54 Z3MR, Z1.

Rathean

High Pressure Fuel Pump

Post by Rathean » Wed Oct 31, 2018 6:41 pm

No limp mode, no warning lights until it started mis-firing again when the iDrive screen came up with the super helpful "there's something wrong" message :x

Cost to replace including some expensive tyre kicking, £1.6k.
2011 Bimmer Z4 35i diamond black, 6-speed manual, full caboodle (hibernating) :driving:

flybobbie
Lifer
Lifer

High Pressure Fuel Pump

Post by flybobbie » Wed Oct 31, 2018 10:00 pm

Would this be the in tank pump?
Or is there one closer to the engine.
So about £1.2k was labour?
Say 12 hours work to drop the exhaust and prop shaft and refit.

Lets say it takes an hour to do that on a ramp, then a hour to replace pump, then another to refit shaft and exhaust.

So is this the pump;
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Fuel-Pump-Fi ... %7Ciid%3A1

Rathean

High Pressure Fuel Pump

Post by Rathean » Thu Nov 01, 2018 7:07 am

£654.10 + vat for the pump, various related costs and a few hours diagnosis of the problem. Unfortunately I let the warranty expire otherwise it would have been covered. Upside is it now purrs like a big sexy German kitten again :roll: