Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Need To Change Battery

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Need To Change Battery

Post by Mr Tidy » Mon Nov 12, 2018 1:45 am

Smartbear wrote: Mon Nov 12, 2018 1:29 am I don’t mind stop/start if it’s coded out, leaving the alleged beefed up components to do a normal job instead should give them a long life! :P
Rob
Maybe, although I don't think the components are beefed-up - after all the warranty is only 3 years! :lol:

I'd still much prefer to buy a car that isn't built with stop/start - that way you don't need to replace things designed to just about outlast the warranty. :P
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

BRC

Need To Change Battery

Post by BRC » Mon Nov 12, 2018 8:38 am

I've got stop/start on my other car and frankly I wish I could turn it off permanently, regretfully I have to do it each journey. This car is fitted with an AGM battery which I believe has to be fitted with s/s whereas my Z I have a normal battery and no s/s.
Point is if you have s/s then make sure you fit the right battery even if you can turn off s/s. Being the suspicious type I believe eventually the day will come when the MOT will decree if s/s is fitted it must work.

Sold a pair of soft top side covers and now retired.

Mr Tidy
Legend
Legend

Need To Change Battery

Post by Mr Tidy » Tue Nov 13, 2018 8:49 pm

BRC wrote: Mon Nov 12, 2018 8:38 am Being the suspicious type I believe eventually the day will come when the MOT will decree if s/s is fitted it must work.
Yes, being somewhat cynical myself I'm sure they'd love to!

But fortunately I'm not sure how they can tell. :)

It only operated on my 1 Series when it was up to normal temperature, didn't when the outside temperature was below a certain number and wouldn't when there was heavy electrical loading - there are probably other parameters I never noticed!
Coupes because stunning!
Current - Silver Grey MC, Imola Red heated Nappa & carbon trim. Aeros, H & R Coil-overs, 224s, OE Strut brace, Nav, cup-holders, DSP Hi-Fi, pdc, cruise, MFSW, no CDV! E90 330i daily
Gone - Montego Blue
Gone - Ruby Black

warmasice

Need To Change Battery

Post by warmasice » Tue Nov 13, 2018 11:21 pm

Mr Tidy wrote: Mon Nov 12, 2018 12:20 am
warmasice wrote: Fri Oct 26, 2018 3:12 am Whatever route you take (and I'd go AGM), register your battery our you'll risk reducing it's lifespan due to overcharging.
I'd avoid AGM at all costs if that is an option! :o

The AGM in my 123d didn't last 5 years, but the non AGM in my Z4C managed 10 years and the replacement cost less than half the price!

That doesn't seem to represent progress to me. :?
Different cars. Different systems. Try a non AGM in a start stop car.. see how long it lasts :rofl: