Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Nav/GPS issues

greg81

Nav/GPS issues

Post by greg81 » Wed Oct 10, 2018 5:54 pm

Pbondar wrote: Wed Oct 10, 2018 5:51 pm
greg81 wrote: Wed Oct 10, 2018 10:54 am Big improvement this morning. My correct location was locked quickly this morning and the map followed my moves pretty accurately.

Still getting a false value for Almanac but will keep an eye on it over the next few days.

Don't think there'll be any interest but I'll write up all the steps I took to resolve this as I couldn't find any useful guides anywhere!
How did you get to that service menu?
- Go to top menu
- Push dial to up for 10 seconds
- 3 clicks to the right
- 3 clicks to the left
- 1 click right
- 1 click left
- 1 click right
- 1 quick depress of the dial

Go into settings, scroll to bottom and it should be there

Pbondar

Nav/GPS issues

Post by Pbondar » Wed Oct 10, 2018 7:36 pm

greg81 wrote: Wed Oct 10, 2018 5:54 pm
greg81 wrote: Wed Oct 10, 2018 10:54 am Big improvement this morning. My correct location was locked quickly this morning and the map followed my moves pretty accurately.

Still getting a false value for Almanac but will keep an eye on it over the next few days.

Don't think there'll be any interest but I'll write up all the steps I took to resolve this as I couldn't find any useful guides anywhere!
- Go to top menu
- 3 clicks to the right
- 3 clicks to the left
- 1 click right
- 1 click left
- 1 click right

That was obvious, how did you find that? :thumbsup:

greg81

Nav/GPS issues

Post by greg81 » Wed Oct 10, 2018 8:02 pm

The wonders of the internet! :D

So I think I'm resolved however I need to wire this bloody thing in now which is a pain. Tempted to see if any breakers have the receiver as it simply unplugs are the back of the rearview mirror so if my loom is ok it would save masses of effort!

Pbondar

Nav/GPS issues

Post by Pbondar » Thu Oct 11, 2018 8:39 am

The almanac could be one of two issues..failure to get a good signal for long enough to update or..

Sometimes the memory that keeps the almanac goes bad and it gets either corrupted and/or loses its ability to store the almanac..

In which case a replacement receiver is the only long term solution..

Phoenixboy

Nav/GPS issues

Post by Phoenixboy » Thu Oct 11, 2018 10:14 am

Pbondar wrote: Thu Oct 11, 2018 8:39 am The almanac could be one of two issues..failure to get a good signal for long enough to update or..

Sometimes the memory that keeps the almanac goes bad and it gets either corrupted and/or loses its ability to store the almanac..

In which case a replacement receiver is the only long term solution..
I wouldn’t have minded having the nav on my soon to land 30i, but only really wanted it for the parking aid side of it.
Hope you get sorted Greg
Bring on the train ride Monday 😀
E89 s drive 30i manual/gone
space grey
Carbon interior trim
19" Veeman FS 25`s
cruise control
m sport seats
stubby
led halo bulbs
z4 forum sticker, for added power.
OEM wind deflector
Gone, E85 Ruby Black.

greg81

Nav/GPS issues

Post by greg81 » Wed Oct 24, 2018 8:19 pm

Just revisiting this after a bit of time away...

Is it supposed to be held together by this sticky black stuff with broken clips? Looks like an autoglass special to me...
Attachments
IMG_20181024_201702.jpg
IMG_20181024_201702.jpg (167.21 KiB) Viewed 2199 times
IMG_20181024_201513.jpg
IMG_20181024_201513.jpg (183.58 KiB) Viewed 2199 times
Last edited by greg81 on Wed Oct 24, 2018 8:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

greg81

Nav/GPS issues

Post by greg81 » Wed Oct 24, 2018 8:21 pm

Some top work right there
Attachments
IMG_20181024_202036.jpg
IMG_20181024_202036.jpg (164.94 KiB) Viewed 2198 times

greg81

Nav/GPS issues

Post by greg81 » Wed Oct 24, 2018 8:56 pm

This story continues but I'm confident of a solution now.

The antenna has a female connector so I can't use the cheap GPS cable to plug into it, however I can get a pre-owned replacement genuine BMW unit for £20 on eBay that I can plug into the cable able the dome light and not have to bother ripping the dash apart to fit a new wire :)
Attachments
IMG_20181024_205350.jpg
IMG_20181024_205350.jpg (213.53 KiB) Viewed 2194 times

Pbondar

Nav/GPS issues

Post by Pbondar » Fri Oct 26, 2018 9:17 am

Good detective work...the curse of bodging windscreen fitters...

greg81

Nav/GPS issues

Post by greg81 » Fri Oct 26, 2018 5:27 pm

Well, I'm pleased to say now that this chapter is now complete.

New genuine used GPS receivedr arrived in the post today and I connected it above the dome light. No wiring required. Plugged it in and an almost instant 3D fix.

Phew!

ronk
Lifer
Lifer

Nav/GPS issues

Post by ronk » Sat Nov 10, 2018 3:50 pm

- Go to top menu
- 3 clicks to the right
- 3 clicks to the left
- 1 click right
- 1 click left
- 1 click right

Could you advise if getting out of the service menu simple please?

After having troubles with the system in my car - the dealers “expert “ told me that only workshop kit was able to identify satellites aquired etc. I suspected bs at the time and this has confirmed my suspicions !
You don't stop playing when you get old - You get old when you stop playing!
So I bought a 35is with all the toys to play with. :thumbsup:

greg81

Nav/GPS issues

Post by greg81 » Sun Nov 11, 2018 7:20 pm

ronk wrote: Sat Nov 10, 2018 3:50 pm

- Go to top menu
- 3 clicks to the right
- 3 clicks to the left
- 1 click right
- 1 click left
- 1 click right

Could you advise if getting out of the service menu simple please?

After having troubles with the system in my car - the dealers “expert “ told me that only workshop kit was able to identify satellites aquired etc. I suspected bs at the time and this has confirmed my suspicions !
Hey, happy to help, but I don't think I understand the question?

ronk
Lifer
Lifer

Nav/GPS issues

Post by ronk » Sun Nov 11, 2018 7:45 pm

I had trouble with my sat Nav when the position arrow wasn’t on the planned and highlighted route.

I suspected that the system wasn’t locked onto the satellites. I explained my thoughts to the BMW techie and asked if there was a method I could use to interrogate the system - he told me it was only workshop kit that could do this task.

Your method shows the method to extract the information from the system should this happen to me again - however I’m unsure how to get “out” of the system and return it to its normal running status.

I don’t want to try an interrogation and screw up any of the current settings.

greg81

Nav/GPS issues

Post by greg81 » Sun Nov 11, 2018 8:03 pm

Ah, I see what you mean. The menu you access with that procedure I listed above disappears after you stop and restart your engine , and there's nothing you should need to do to get out of it.

Not sure if you're done the procedure to get in to it, but all it does is add some extra options in "settings" rather than lock you in to some kind of hidden area.

Are you still having trouble? I've got a replacement antenna I bought for eBay that you're welcome to have if you think it's worth a try

ronk
Lifer
Lifer

Nav/GPS issues

Post by ronk » Sun Nov 11, 2018 8:33 pm

greg81 wrote: Sun Nov 11, 2018 8:03 pm Are you still having trouble? I've got a replacement antenna I bought for eBay that you're welcome to have if you think it's worth a try

Your offer is appreciated.
My problem started last year when I took the September 2016 car to Germany immediately after having a BMW dash cam and it’s windscreen mounted antenna fitted. I suspected that there was some conflict between the systems.

They moved the antenna for this years trip and it was mainly successful - it went off route near Schipol airport. At that time I suspected that I was lacking a good lock. It would have been good to have a look.

I’m not away to Europe in the Z4 until July/Aug 2019 but your script will enable me interrogate the system should it go off route next year.
Unfortunately they have fitted a later model camera to further muddy the waters!