Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Nav/GPS issues

greg81

Nav/GPS issues

Post by greg81 » Sun Nov 11, 2018 8:44 pm

From what I've learned on my travels the stock antenna that lives above the interior light cluster is pretty fragile and when people work in that area (replacing windscreens or fitting a dashcam for example) they tend to break then as they don't take any real care.

Have a look in the service menu and see what you get under "GPS Status". If it's...

1. Check Antenna - The antenna has undoubtedly been broken
2. 2D fix - the antenna is receiving a pretty poor signal
3. 3D fix - The antenna is receiving a full, clear signal.

I've had this fixed for a couple of weeks now and driven a fair bit but I only seem to have locked onto 1 satellite despite there supposedly being 12 in view The almanac value is also still a falsy "0", but with all this taken into consideration I'm getting a perfectly good service from the nav itself so I'm not too concerned.

GPS status will be a good starting point. Good luck!

ronk
Lifer
Lifer

Nav/GPS issues

Post by ronk » Sun Nov 11, 2018 10:01 pm

I suspect mine also has low acquisition of satellites and the system was swamped by the comms / systems of the nearby airport?

My car is currently sorned so it will be a while before I can check using the system you’ve found.
You don't stop playing when you get old - You get old when you stop playing!
So I bought a 35is with all the toys to play with. :thumbsup:

Bosscat44

Nav/GPS issues

Post by Bosscat44 » Mon Jun 03, 2019 6:10 pm

I just wanted to thank you for this article.
The Navigation in my Z4 just stopped working with the symptoms described (showing me being many miles from where I actually was) and I followed your advice to activate the service menu and saw that the GPS receiver wasn't working.
I located the receiver under the interior light binnacle and after removing, disconnecting and reconnecting it, it sprang into life again !
Great article which helped me a lot
Thanks again.

ronk
Lifer
Lifer

Nav/GPS issues

Post by ronk » Fri Jun 28, 2019 1:03 pm

I’ve tried to get into the service menu but I’ve failed - its probably me just being a bit thick and starting from a wrong menu maybe? I’m doing something wrong!

Go to top menu
- Push dial to up for 10 seconds
- 3 clicks to the right
- 3 clicks to the left
- 1 click right
- 1 click left
- 1 click right
- 1 quick depress of the dial

Top Menu?
Push Dial ? Is that press or push it forwards?
3 - clicks right - is that rotate?
You don't stop playing when you get old - You get old when you stop playing!
So I bought a 35is with all the toys to play with. :thumbsup: