Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

E89- sweating of gearbox/ sump

ZedConvert

Post by ZedConvert » Fri Sep 21, 2018 2:16 pm

Hi all,

Took my E89 to BMW under an inclusive service plan;

The report has come back with a ‘sweating sump’. What could cause this? (condensation, leak)

Should I be concerned, should I have BMW investigate further while it’s under a service plan, would any parts and labour likely be included?

Thank you
658CC1AE-54FF-47A5-8520-87F453E6610B.png
658CC1AE-54FF-47A5-8520-87F453E6610B.png (667.29 KiB) Viewed 2410 times

ronk
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ronk » Sat Sep 22, 2018 2:30 pm

Unsure what a sweating sump is. I haven’t heard that term before.
You don't stop playing when you get old - You get old when you stop playing!
So I bought a 35is with all the toys to play with. :thumbsup:

Z4M-2006
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Z4M-2006 » Sat Sep 22, 2018 2:43 pm

Not uncommon on all ZF boxes..

Get it done under warranty.

ronk
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ronk » Sat Sep 22, 2018 2:48 pm

Z4M-2006 wrote: Sat Sep 22, 2018 2:43 pm Not uncommon on all ZF boxes..

Get it done under warranty.
What is it and what is the fix?

Z4M-2006
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Z4M-2006 » Sat Sep 22, 2018 4:02 pm

Gearbox sump... They are plastic and can go a little porous so new sump and oil needed... They can also leak for transmission wiring sleeve and run onto the sump,so needs checking properly

I did one on my E60 a number of years ago,not mega money but better to get it done when its free

ronk
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ronk » Sat Sep 22, 2018 4:16 pm

Z4M-2006 wrote: Sat Sep 22, 2018 4:02 pm Gearbox sump... They are plastic and can go a little porous so new sump and oil needed... They can also leak for transmission wiring sleeve and run onto the sump,so needs checking properly

I did one on my E60 a number of years ago,not mega money but better to get it done when its free

:thumbsup:

flybobbie
Lifer
Lifer

Post by flybobbie » Mon Sep 24, 2018 7:52 am

Thought at first this was going to be you sweating, at the cost to get it fixed!

Angie4m
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Angie4m » Fri Sep 28, 2018 10:43 pm

Mines had this......the dealer said BMW wouldn't fix under the extended warranty because its classed as a 'Casings failure' and they are not covered......well they aren't now but my Extended warranty was taken out on a rolling basis before this change and they've never updated the T&Cs.

I spent quite a bit of time pointing this out in the dealership, who eventually, after sending them a copy of my T&Cs said they would approach BMW Warranty. I work for a Investment company and I go over T&Cs day in day out and make sure I leave nothing unchecked so I knew I was in the right.....It took a week to hear back re this and BMW said it would be fixed but I've read that it can happen again and again and if they drag it out again its a £250 part plus fitting so just shy of £600 to fix. And this is also due to the fact that BMW sell the sump, gasket and fittings as a whole part so if you needed just a new gasket, you can't get it on its on, you need the whole kit.

The whole thing made me fall out of love with the car and actually question what I have been paying this warranty for because it seems that even with 29k miles on the clock BMW be it directly or indirectly seem to just say no in the hope you'll just roll over and say OK I'll pay to get it fixed.

So if anyone is going to extend their warranty at the end of their current warranty, please be warned that the 'excluded' items which applied to the Named Component and Driveline policies now also applies to the 'Comprehensive' warranty too. That suggests to me that there has been an increase in some aspects of these and BMW don't want to pay out.
Deep Sea Blue sDrive35is - I LOVE IT! Best car I've ever owned :) - Gone
RRS V8 Supercharged - Gone
Abarth 595 Competizione - Gone
Yas Marina Blue M4 Coupe - Gone

Current:
Protonic Blue i8
Amethyst 997
F56 JCW Challenge (19 of 52)

Still Shy and retiring

ronk
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ronk » Fri Sep 28, 2018 10:57 pm

Thanks for the “Heads Up” Angie :thumbsup:

The more I hear of rejected warranty claims the more I think that it’s more realistic to put the warranty into an isa ( toffee tin mentality) and and pay what is needed, when it’s needed!

Angie4m
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Angie4m » Fri Sep 28, 2018 11:14 pm

ronk wrote: Fri Sep 28, 2018 10:57 pm Thanks for the “Heads Up” Angie :thumbsup:

The more I hear of rejected warranty claims the more I think that it’s more realistic to put the warranty into an isa ( toffee tin mentality) and and pay what is needed, when it’s needed!
Yup! Thats about the just of it Ron. Thats what I'll be doing in the future.

Not everyone has the information at their fingertips to resolve these issues and will take what they are shown as correct. It took me having to ask the lady dealing with my car to get the service manager to show him what I had and it was him that agreed to take it further for me. On the other hand BMW should be providing dealerships with all versions of T&Cs depending on when the customer took out their extended warranty.

If you check the BMW Warranty website they do not mention the casings etc being excluded under the fully comp policy but only the other 2, but the new T&Cs which are provided when you get a quote do which in itself is very misleading and against FCA regulations but I'll be taking that up with BMW UK's warranties department next week.

Current:
Protonic Blue i8
Amethyst 997

Still Shy and retiring

ronk
Lifer
Lifer

Post by ronk » Fri Sep 28, 2018 11:26 pm

Not wishing to morph off the original topic but I have to say that the BMW Assist section of the warranty whilst in Europe was less than helpful - ( I stress whilst in Europe - UK is First Class)

Z4M-2006
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Z4M-2006 » Sat Sep 29, 2018 7:28 am

BMW as a company have become terrible to deal with on all levels over the last 5 years or so.

Be it sales, service or parts. Actually the parts lads are good but prices are spiralling upward at alarming rates, and parts warranty is laughable..
Along with serious reliability issues I think BMW are living on the past success at the moment.

ZedConvert

Post by ZedConvert » Sat Sep 29, 2018 2:16 pm

Thanks all!

Is there a direct link to the Ts&Cs? Guess there buried.

Also, does it make a difference that I purchased this vehicle from a BMW dealer in April?!?!

Angie4m
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Angie4m » Sat Sep 29, 2018 7:04 pm

ZedConvert wrote: Sat Sep 29, 2018 2:16 pm Thanks all!

Is there a direct link to the Ts&Cs? Guess there buried.

Also, does it make a difference that I purchased this vehicle from a BMW dealer in April?!?!
As this was bought as an AUC I presume then you should be covered as the AUC is basically the same warranty as if you had bought the car new.

However when the time comes to extend the warranty, the site is here. https://www.bmw-warranty.co.uk/Comprehensive

The T&Cs are currently incorrect for the comprehensive warranty but the same exclusion now apply to new policies as found under the name warranty cover and these are here https://www.bmw-warranty.co.uk/NamedCom ... entDetails

Basically they state the sump as a casing failure and unless the grearbox failed and cause the issue (which it won’t bave) they won’t cover it.

Current:
Protonic Blue i8
Amethyst 997

Still Shy and retiring