Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Head unit replacement in USA

lothar863

Post by lothar863 » Thu Sep 13, 2018 8:50 pm

So my head unit is failing.
2009 z4 35i

I dont have premium audio so adding an after market head unit should be easy except.....

Where do i get a mounting kit. I cannot find one anywhere
sonic electronix says a soche one fits but it doesnt it is for the e85
crutchfield and every where else including local shops have nothing.
I tried to order one from a uk supplier but the just canceled the order and wont ship over seas.

am i missing something?

AnubisZed

Post by AnubisZed » Fri Sep 14, 2018 11:34 am

OK, first of all lets try a different approach.....

What do you currently have? Business or Professional?
Do you have Bluetooth hands free?
Do you have a USB/AUX in the centre console?
Do you actually have speakers in the tweeter housings on each door pillar? (may need a torch shined into it to see)

If your answers are...
Either (doesn't really matter)
No
No
No

Then you could easily have OEM but upgraded.
It's a relatively straight forward retrofit to have a later spec Professional head unit fitted that has Bluetooth and USB control built-in. And then just fit the USB/AUX socket in place of the AUX, along with the cable and the steering column upper shroud with the microphone and cable.

I have the whole process on my DropBox account here >>> https://www.dropbox.com/s/b18u0025vmc51 ... .docx?dl=0

Hope that helps.
Dave
2011, 23i, Grey with Red leather. 8)

My E89 YouTube channel - BMW Z4 Mods
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCttNBt ... UQnoEvKB2Q

lothar863

Post by lothar863 » Fri Sep 14, 2018 6:29 pm

What do you currently have? Business or Professional?
Professional
Do you have Bluetooth hands free?
Yes
Do you have a USB/AUX in the centre console?
Just Aux
Do you actually have speakers in the tweeter housings on each door pillar? (may need a torch shined into it to see)
No I have removed the cover and there are no tweeters

I fully understand that I can buy another factory unit for $300
I want to replace it with an after market unit for much less as well as getting a rear usb port to power a dash cam off.

AnubisZed

Post by AnubisZed » Sat Sep 15, 2018 12:35 pm

OK, well it could still be done with OEM, but if you really don't want to go down that route then here is the adaptor set (keeps your steering wheel controls) and although it is in Germany they do ship to the USA.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Radioset-Len ... SwItJaWNnE
Now combining that with a decent head unit then you've just surpassed the 300 that OEM would cost.
You've still got to take into account that you'll still have the same factory speakers, and as I'm assuming you don't currently have the factory amplifier option fitted then you'll need a decent head unit to power it all..

At the end of the day you have a quality BMW car, but unless it was specified at purchase then you don't get a quality sound system!!
Mine was the basic Professional head unit without USB or Bluetooth and only 6 speakers, it now has the later Professional headunit with the USB control and Bluetooth built in and the extra tweeter making it an 8 speaker system, the difference is far superior to when I bought it.

Alas you do have to spend good money to get a good result.
Dave

lothar863

Post by lothar863 » Wed Sep 19, 2018 8:46 pm

So that kit looks like it fits an e90.

If it is the same I can get those all day long. I will give an e90 kit a try...or just put the head unit from my e90 in it and give it a go.

I will eventually do the audio in the car but for now i am focusing on a cheap way to not have the volume turn it's self up and down or make a sound like a stick just kit the car every now and then.

AnubisZed

Post by AnubisZed » Mon Sep 24, 2018 10:50 am

lothar863 wrote: Wed Sep 19, 2018 8:46 pm So that kit looks like it fits an e90.

If it is the same I can get those all day long. I will give an e90 kit a try...or just put the head unit from my e90 in it and give it a go.

I will eventually do the audio in the car but for now i am focusing on a cheap way to not have the volume turn it's self up and down or make a sound like a stick just kit the car every now and then.
Yes bud that kit fits the e90 as well (same radio and wiring), and yes a radio from an e90 will fit the e89 as well perfectly, whether all features will work though will depend if there are any differences between the fitted options of each radio.
Dave